2009 Events

Greybeard

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm looking for a bit of guidance for any narrowboat events that may be happening this year.

I believe Crick is a good one and possibly Braunstone but is there anything happening around the Derbyshire / Notts area that may be worth a look as well.

From what I've read Saul is not happening - unless someone's heard anything different of course.

I've done the big boat shows over the years but they're not really NB orientated.

All suggestions most welcome.

Thanks./

GB.

If you're interested in old working boats etc. then the Braunston Boat Gathering is based on the FMC fleet this year and is on 16th - 18th June.

I am, once again, going to try and attend. I hope it comes off this year!

Edit: Sorry I gave the wrong date, it's actually the 27th and 28th June.

Hi

I'm looking for a bit of guidance for any narrowboat events that may be happening this year.

I believe Crick is a good one and possibly Braunstone but is there anything happening around the Derbyshire / Notts area that may be worth a look as well.

From what I've read Saul is not happening - unless someone's heard anything different of course.

I've done the big boat shows over the years but they're not really NB orientated.

Thanks./

GB.

In your area is the IWA National Campaign Festival on the Chesterfield Canal 23rd - 25th May, details at

www.kiveton2009.com

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

If you're interested in old working boats etc. then the Braunston Boat Gathering is based on the FMC fleet this year and is on 16th - 18th June.

I am, once again, going to try and attend. I hope it comes off this year!

Edit: Sorry I gave the wrong date, it's actually the 27th and 28th June.

In your area is the IWA National Campaign Festival on the Chesterfield Canal 23rd - 25th May, details at

www.kiveton2009.com

Tim

Nottingham riverside festival first weekend in august and i think there`s a big iwa thing going off at redhill on the soar or has that been and gone

Thanks for that lot - I'll check diaries and see which ones I can get to.

I should try to avoid boating or even being outside on the May bank Holiday weekend, (Saturday 23 May to Monday 25 May).

That's when the Wendover Arm Trust are planning their canal festival, and the last two have been so seriously rained out it's scary. :lol:

Seriously though, lets hope they have a lot more luck this year, as the deluges of the last two must have cost them heavily.

The somewhat larger event at Rickmansworth, a few miles, but quite a lot of locks to the south takes place the previous weekend, Saturday 16th to Sunday 17th May.

Edited by alan_fincher

I should try to avoid boating or even being outside on the May bank Holiday weekend, (Saturday 23 May to Monday 25 May).

That's when the Wendover Arm Trust are planning their canal festival, and the last two have been so seriously rained out it's scary. :lol:

Seriously though, lets hope they have a lot more luck this year, as the deluges of the last two must have cost them heavily.

The somewhat larger event at Rickmansworth, a few miles, but quite a lot of locks to the south takes place the previous weekend, Saturday 16th to Sunday 17th May.

And Little Venice is the first bank holiday so all three are do able.

Sue

And Little Venice is the first bank holiday so all three are do able.

Sue

Unfortunately I've got no chance of boating to any of the festivals due to w*rk commitments so I'll be using the roads if I get the chance.

Definitely going to do some of these this year.

Thanks again.

Mike

Taken from Pennine Cruisers website

"Skipton Waterway Festival

May Bank Holiday weekend from 3rd to 5th May

Boaters booked in for the event with be invited to a private event on the Friday evening.

The canalside daily entertainment will begin on Saturday and will run from 10.30am until 4.30pm. A Farmers Market will also be in Coach Street car park on Sunday 4th May, with the illuminated cruise sailing from the outskirts of town to the canal basin arriving at dusk on Sunday.

Anyone who has previously attended will be sent a mooring application for 2008. New applicants for moorings, stalls or those wanting to perform can contact Pennine Cruisers for an Application Form by emailing info@penninecruisers.com or telephone on 01756 795478"

Edited by Aira

• 1 month later...
Hi

Thanks./

GB.

Thee 2009 IWA festival is scheduled for Redhill Marina (Ratcliffe On Soar) Notingham

"THE Inland Waterways Association national festival and boat show will be held Redhill Marina, near Ratcliffe-on-Soar next year. The event will take place during the August Bank Holiday weekend, August 29 to 31"

The good news is that the newly opened East Midland Parkway Mainline station is situated at the end of the lane from Redhill Marina (Aprrox 10-15 minutes walk) so access by train should be easy. 10-20 mins from Nottingham and 7 minutess from Loughborough.

Details on the station here

East Midlands Parkway station (WikiPedia)

Also easy access from M1 junction 24 (I think, but check your map)

Hope this helps

Edited to say

Just checked my train timetables and appears that it takes 13 mins from Derby Station to East Midlands Parkway, plenty of services. Hope this helps

Edited by reg