That sinking feeling!

Wumpty

Featured Posts

in a word.....Laptop

How? :lol:

I quite fancy getting one of those big magnets (on a rope... obviously) and doing a bit of probing around to see what I can find. Knowing me, I'd find more magnets...

Kay

x

Edited by kayDee

in a word.....Laptop

Ouch!

Phone

Windlass

Me

Beer can (Only just opened, too! This was before my self-imposed 'no drinking and boating' rule)

Several bottles of Lucazade power stuff

A fender

Map (rescued by Postcode. Well done that man)

Not really a fall in - but my last iPod didn't survive the drenching it got going through Blisworth Tunnel.

Slipped off shoulder - was in a stuiped bookbag - hit the wharf bounced in, got dragged out with a boathook. PCWorld are still trying to figure out if they are going to pay out for accidental damage or not - they have in fact, been scratching their heads for 2 weeks - PC Performance - dont waste your money - but yes it was painful.

Slipped off shoulder - was in a stuiped bookbag - hit the wharf bounced in, got dragged out with a boathook. PCWorld are still trying to figure out if they are going to pay out for accidental damage or not - they have in fact, been scratching their heads for 2 weeks - PC Performance - dont waste your money - but yes it was painful.

Oooh, that's bad... I can't imagine how bad that would be... I'll try it tonight and let you know... :lol:

I hope you get a pay out soon!

Kay

x

Typical PC-World.

I quite fancy getting one of those big magnets (on a rope... obviously) and doing a bit of probing around to see what I can find. Knowing me, I'd find more magnets...

Well even that would be useful. And the need for a rope isn't obvious to everyone

Others here have heard this before, but it may be new to some. A few years ago I lent our magnet to someone else who had just dropped his last windlass in the canal. He thanked me, and threw it into the canal just as I turned to offer him a rope to tie it to. I don't know how he thought it was supposed to work, maybe it was just supposed to sit there on the bottom throwing things up for him to catch?

So I tied the rope to my own windlass, and (holding the other end) threw it into the canal. Staright away it came up with my magnet attached to it.

The favourite thing for me to drop in is a screwdriver or spanner, but I've also dropped a 6ft length of the rotten wooden handrail off the roof (with me still attached), the gangplank, the dog, the satellite finder (it doubles as a bottom-of-the-canal finder) which worked just fine after it was dried out, a walkie-talkie (also worked fine after being dried out), a tin of biscuits, several maps, my wife's purse (the magnet picked it up from just the metal clasp, we went into Gayton Marina and placed some very soggy notes on the counter to buy a Nene licence) and a paintbrush full of paint.

The favourite thing for me to drop in is a screwdriver or spanner

I fell in, gripping an electric drill, once. For some reason I hung on to it.

No harm was done because the RCD did its stuff but now I only use cordless stuff, when working on the bank.

Just out of intrest what have you all dropped into the cut hears my list.

Lock windlass

Map

Broom (fished it out though :lol: )

& a sandwitch!

Floated and rescued: Hat, towel, cafetiere, chair

Retrieved by seasearcher: spike hammer, windlass (but a different one came up)

Self-rescued: Dog (just above an open paddle - a near thing!)

Mac

Broom

Chimney brush

Canoe

(all of the above tied together, and pulled off by centre line in full view of amused fishermen. Canoe retrieved)

One neighbour - not my fault, honest

Cat, several times - also not my fault, honest.

Bicycle and chimney (windy day, low bridge, tight turn...)

Plants - several

Paintbrushes/sheets of sandpaper - several

Misc cutlery while tipping washing up water out of hatch

Rug

Favourite necklace. Saw it go down, no luck with boathook, magnet etc. We got a wide garden leaf-rake, attached netting round it, did a few sweeps and hey presto! I am still wearing it

Blimey - looking at that list I'm surprised there's anything left aboard!

Not into cut, but into salty drink.

Got married in t'Carribean and on the morning of the fateful day, went out for a sail in one of the resorts dinghies. My intended decided on this occasion to accompany me. To exit the bay and enter the open sea, you had to negotiate a narrow passage in the reef. As the winds were invariably onshore, this was impossible without tacking. I tried to explain the mechanics of this manoevre as we headed out. "When I shout "going about!", duck as that there boom will come swinging across", etc... No matter how many times I tried I was still met with blank incomprehension. Disaster loomed as the reef neared and so it was either take the bottom out or throw the tiller over. I threw the tiller over. Swish! went the boom and Splash! went the future missus.

Despite this well intentioned warning from the big man upstairs, I foolishly pulled her back on board.

Bike with me attached - interesting experience - 6:30am, misty, deep lock channel, nobody about to help....

Mobile phone

Ash pan from the stove

Sundry wine glasses and bottles

Favourite tea mug

Several screwdrivers, etc.

Recovered with sea searcher:

Bike - managed to get out eventually and run back to boat for magnet....

A complete fire surround

Intake petals from a Bolinder

Sundry bolts, washers, etc

A blimmin' big nut - about 3" AF

Lost forever - neighbour's propellor....

I once dropped an expensive American made 'Maglight' in the water near our mooring it had rolled off the roof at around midday. I tried fishing for it with a magnet but gave up after an hour. Then, that evening after dusk, Jane noticed a glow in the water - the torch must have somehow switched itself on as it fell; as a result I was able to locate it and fish it out - despite being made of aluminium, there was enough iron in there for the magnet to pick it up.

Other than that:

Cat - four times but he swims like an otter and climbs a boat shaft quicker than greased lightning;

Me - three times - always painful;

SWMBO - once but in the middle of winter!