Oozells loop

HYBRID

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Just a quick post to agree with an earlier one ----- Brum is a fine place to moor; have never had the slightest bother. Only mooring place I would miss is the row just beyond Worcester Bar (Heading towards Wcr.). The clubbers can be a little boisterous on exiting. Not malicious -- just thoughtless. Absolutely no need to pay for a mooring for security sake.

An equally defamed place that we've never had any bother at is Wolverhampton Top Lock and associated moorings. Maybe the odd curious wino, but that's about it.

Mike.

PS. Hybrid --- was it you I passed just by the Brades Hall Jnc and the gauging island on Monday -- you mentioned Merry Hill ? If so -- hello again !

A "curious wino" who'd tried to climb into the back cabin at Wolves top lock a few years ago got treated to two hairy semi naked boaters chasing him down the towpath a while back... Also, again with my very own, and unfortunately my mum's eyes as well; the local smack heads use the little bridge that sticks out the side of the building around Broad st basin as a ahem "shooting gallery" so although I wouldn't worry about them just after they've picked up their script I'd be concerned for anything not chained down about 6 hours later.

Unless Wolverhampton got a serious face lift I wouldn't trust it.

A "curious wino" who'd tried to climb into the back cabin at Wolves top lock a few years ago got treated to two hairy semi naked boaters chasing him down the towpath a while back... Also, again with my very own, and unfortunately my mum's eyes as well; the local smack heads use the little bridge that sticks out the side of the building around Broad st basin as a ahem "shooting gallery" so although I wouldn't worry about them just after they've picked up their script I'd be concerned for anything not chained down about 6 hours later.

Unless Wolverhampton got a serious face lift I wouldn't trust it.

I spent a Saturday night at Wolverhampton Top Lock at the beginning of December and am happy to report "no problems". I was told by a local some time ago that it was better to use the offside mooring (which has direct access to the city centre) rather than the towpath side, but I don't know if it really makes any difference apart from the fact that the residential moorings are that side.

I think its got better in recent years.

Jim

Edited for typos

Edited by Jim

A few years ago we spent several nights moored on the Wolverhampton side, by the small park with picnic tables.

Starts off late evening with a few people with fish & chips, later a number of fat rats invade the tables and stash the pickings in the shubbery.

Later still a fox appears for a snack followed by a few cats who scent mark the tables, later still a courting couple do their thing on the table.

Following morning happy picnicers back again. :lol:

As Alan says, the 300-degree turn at the other end is not possible with a longish boat; you have to go for about a quarter mile until you reach the entrance to an old basin where you can wind. There is a full-length winding point half-way through the loop though.

You should have tried it before they replaced the bridge!

Tony :lol:

Mike.

PS. Hybrid --- was it you I passed just by the Brades Hall Jnc and the gauging island on Monday -- you mentioned Merry Hill ? If so -- hello again !

Hi Mike, yes it was me you will pleased to know you are the first forum member I have met on the cut.