Liverpool Canal Link

John Orentas

Featured Posts

Has anyone got any firm dates or information about opening dates and who to contact re. moorings and so on, presumably there will be a 'bit of a do'.

I have a friend who is anxious to attend and carry on and do the Ribble Link on the same trip, from past experience these events tend get fully booked an hour after the announcement.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone got any firm dates or information about opening dates and who to contact re. moorings and so on, presumably there will be a 'bit of a do'.

I have a friend who is anxious to attend and carry on and do the Ribble Link on the same trip, from past experience these events tend get fully booked an hour after the announcement.

Hello John,

try www.penninewaterways.co.uk where you'll see up to date photo's of work progressed to date. The scheduled opening of the link is around Easter 2009.

We too are keen to know the official opening date, as we would like to sail into the Albert dock to mark the advent of a new era of canal navigation through Liverpool.

Don't be discouraged in sailing there yourself by the urban myths surrounding the nature of crime in Liverpool. Although crime free it's not, Liverpool is by no means

as dangerous or perilous as the national press may suggest. Indeed, the scousers are looking forward to welcoming boaters into the city, once there, you'll be pleasantly surprised how friendly the people are.

Mike

Hello John,

try www.penninewaterways.co.uk where you'll see up to date photo's of work progressed to date. The scheduled opening of the link is around Easter 2009.

We too are keen to know the official opening date, as we would like to sail into the Albert dock to mark the advent of a new era of canal navigation through Liverpool.

Don't be discouraged in sailing there yourself by the urban myths surrounding the nature of crime in Liverpool. Although crime free it's not, Liverpool is by no means

as dangerous or perilous as the national press may suggest. Indeed, the scousers are looking forward to welcoming boaters into the city, once there, you'll be pleasantly surprised how friendly the people are.

Mike

We too intend to cruise the new bit before going to onto the Lancaster. An Easter opening would suit us - any later and we would probably switch to the Lancaster first - bookings permitting etc.

So we would attend an opening if the timing is right, but my main concern is that it will be open by the time we get to it.

Richard

So we would attend an opening if the timing is right, but my main concern is that it will be open by the time we get to it.

The work on the link is pretty much on schedule so I can't see there being any reason for it not to be open around Easter as planned. So far there has been no announcement of a date or any opening event. I'm sure we will hear about these nearer the time.

Well that's all good news.. My friend however is anxious to book into the 'Do' and also to book his Ribble Link passage following on, so as we can imagine he needs firm dates and preferably contact names.. If anyone has the information or would be good enough to let me know as soon as they have, it would be appreciated.

As said before these things have a habit of getting rapidly booked up by those 'in the know', leaving others out in the cold.

• 1 month later...

Assuming that the Liverpool link is open at Easter 09. I want to plan a round trip from Barbridge.

i.e. Barbridge > Anderton Lift > Weaver > Ship Canal > Eastham > Albert Dock > Liverpool Link > Leeds Liverpool > Wigan > Leigh Branch > Bridgewater > Preston Brook > Trent & Mersey > Middlewich Branch.

We did a similar loop (in reverse) via. Langdon River entrance in '98, on the way to Salford Quays for the National.

So it would be good to do this again ..

I'll need some company on the Ship Canal and Mersey stretch... Anyone interested.

I'm sure Liverpool District IWA will have something organised for Easter 09 , but all seems quiet.

( Chester and District are very quite about the L'pool Link - am I moving in the wrong canal circles ?)

Any news on Easter 09 in Liverpool would be useful.

• 7 months later...

I've just spent a week in Liverpool and been very impressed at how much there is to do and see in this city. Great museums (many of them free) and many other places of interest and quality live music every night! The new link is a great experience and the moorings on Salthouse dock are excellent. Definitely well worth a visit.