John Woodward RIP

jake_crew

Featured Posts

In today's paper the death was announced of John Woodward, erstwhile landlord of the Boat Inn, Stoke Bruerne.

Born and brought up in the pub, his ashes will be buried under a flagstone in the bar.

With great foresight, his father apparently said "it will be warmer there than in the churchyard" !

Are you sure ?

I thought John, known as Jack, died back in June ??

and the pub is now run by his son, Andrew ?

I think you are right - the death was earlier in the year, but the placing of the ashes is the current story.....

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Sta...erne.4781509.jp

Jacks' death was something I hadn't heard about. I first met him about 40 years ago, and we became good friends. It was always a great pleasure to have a drink with him, even though in recent years that had become a rarity, with me having moved away from the cut. Four of us attended the Boats' "150 years in the Woodward familys' hands" celebrations in '77, and it was an absolute hoot. I won the yard of ale contest--dressed in a gorilla suit, courtesy of Moss Bros. Jack relished that.

Happy days Jack, RIP.