experiences of 70' boats

paddy r

Featured Posts

You can't cross England north of the Midlands in a 70 footer, and to reach places like Leeds and York you need to go round Trent Falls, You also can't reach the Lancaster Canal.

Whether the extra room outweighs this is up to you, If it were me (and it isn't) then between two boats that "tick all the boxes" I'd go for the one with the greatest cruising range. We have a sixty two footer, and we have been to the Lancaster Canal, however Ripple was chosen because she "ticked all the boxes". I nearly bought a 70 footer, but on close inspection it had some major drawbacks in it's interior that would have cost too much to put right.

I got a 70 footer it does not stop me trying to go places plan ahead ,plan ahead if you got a 60 footer or 70 footer there will all ways placers you be able to turn round go for it have fun trying good look.

Air draught is also important especially going on the Nene in a strong flow and confronting Osney Bridge going with a strong stream and a boat suddenly appears coming up stream :lol: :lol: ;):lol: .

Not a problem. You just need to keep a change of underwear handy ;)

edited to say:

Thats not for you - its for the airfix kit coming up :lol:

Edited by Proper Job

I've currently got a 70 foot boat. In the past I've had smaller ones.

I really don't miss the (very) few canals I can't now use. The limits are nowhere near as bad as some people make out.

http://www.abnb.co.uk/submenupages/57ft_myth.html

Gibbo

OH NO!...not the old max length narrowboat to cruise all the "British" (and Irish!) Waterways Horse Chestnut.

I will have to dissagree with ABNB.

We easily took a 45 ft NB through Brandon Lock on the Little Ouse. I measured the extra length available and concluded that a 48ft narrowboat would go through this lock.

Oh..and if you bother you can get more than "a short way" passed Brandon

Dscn2496.jpg

(Santon Downham Bridge)

The other short lock, (no longer available) is Welches Dam Lock from the 40 Foot down to the Old Bedford. Folklore decrees that this (40ft Fen Lighter) lock can be navigated by a 54ft Narrowboat, which is why John Shotbolt (who along with Peterborough IWA was responsible for this lock re-opening, so should know) made his boats this length.

58ft 6ins length is a good length for a narrowboat, as long as you watch that Rams Head :lol:

You can prise a 60ft narrowboat everywhere else.

Other than that it may as well be full length.

58ft 6ins length is a good length for a narrowboat, as long as you watch that Rams Head :lol:

You can prise a 60ft narrowboat everywhere else.

Other than that it may as well be full length.

Not quite, 62 feet only knocks the Calder and Hebble out, although I will admit I've been tempted to take a few feet out of Ripple to allow us to do this one!

Not quite, 62 feet only knocks the Calder and Hebble out, although I will admit I've been tempted to take a few feet out of Ripple to allow us to do this one!

and the upper locks of the Ure / Ripon Canal Shirley?

(also the Grand Canal in Ireland)

James Griffin's Ocean Princess is a shade under 70ft. We were told by BW Scotland that although the Forth and Clyde was built to 70ft, fixed walkways were now fitted on the inside of the gates, so we wimped out of attempting it...ho hum, I suppose one day I will have to do it in a hireboat, like we did with the Mon and Brec.

and the upper locks of the Ure / Ripon Canal Shirley?

(also the Grand Canal in Ireland)

James Griffin's Ocean Princess is a shade under 70ft. We were told by BW Scotland that although the Forth and Clyde was built to 70ft, fixed walkways were now fitted on the inside of the gates, so we wimped out of attempting it...ho hum, I suppose one day I will have to do it in a hireboat, like we did with the Mon and Brec.

Yes, Grand Canal is a bit of a frustration even though that's just a pipe dream at present

Quite right about Ure and Ripon as well

We have toyed with the idea of switching to a two berth trailable to get maximum coverage!

It sounds as though the key question is, do you really need the extra space?

If the benefits of having more room outweigh the disadvantages (route availability is a minor issue by the sound of things, but cost of moorings, blacking etc. and finding places to wind could be more significant) then go for it.

Personally I like snug spaces, and I single-man sometimes, and I'm not that rich. Mine is a 40' boat and it's fine. If I had the money I'd probably have a 53' boat, not because of the canals I could navigate (or not) but because that's the size I calculate could contain everything I would ever want, and then some.

P.S. one of the things I like about narrowboats is that they force you to lead a fairly organised and straightforward way of life, albeit with the odd chaotic moment thrown in.

It depends on your own personality but in my case I like the fact that I cannot hoard junk because there isn't the room, and it's a small space to clean and keep tidy.

A sort of rite of passage reached is when you can take a 70’ boat round Sutton’s Stop in one go without stopping, reversing or dithering.

Do I get any prizes for getting a 71.5 ft boat around in one go in Paddington Basin? 'twas unloaded, mind.

Mike

We are looking at two NB one is 65 and 70,We need the space as we have a 17 year old son staying with for a year before he goes to uni.Not sure we would go for anything smaller than 55 /56 odd if we were on our own.Reading all the post it seems that as long as you are willing to think about where you are going its fine in a 70 footer,

Thanks again for all your comments,

Paddy

I have only ever owned 70" boats. I just think they are grand. Taf has been wonderful too us - it does require more skill handling a 70" boat than a smaller boat without any doubt ESPECIALLY in the wind and turning round. Oh and mooring up is harder too - you have to get there earlier especially in London. Sometimes you get smaller boats mooring in ssuch a way that althought there WOULD be room for you, because they are so spaced out you can't get in.

People hit you easier.

Oh yes and if you leave something at the other end of the boat its a long way to go. especially if your stove is nice and warm at one end and the thing you want is at the other and you've not lit the boatmans cabin stove.

Oh permanent moorings and licenses are always more expensive because you are longer. I have 2 young kids and we love our 70 footer, we all have our own rooms, there is an engine room, a shower room , kitchen and saloon. My saloon & kitchen are the length of some peoples whole boats.

So there is space to chill if you need to.

The other thing ofcourse is that if you hit your thumb with a hammer, and go to the other end of the boat noone else can hear you swear.

Try that in a 30 footer.

Yes, Grand Canal is a bit of a frustration even though that's just a pipe dream at present

Quite right about Ure and Ripon as well

We have toyed with the idea of switching to a two berth trailable to get maximum coverage!

So did Mrs TNC

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/TourMM_0...7MMBristol.html

Her Wildernii Beaver has an interesting layout, a full size IKEA sofa bed, heating and shower,

Owing to the trailer jack knife incident it has now got at a trailer fit only for launching, so we are back to square one.

Right, have my Tin hat on so here goes,

We plan to buy a boat and live on it, go pottering around for a few years and just go with the flow. We like two boats both narrow beam, No1 is 61 feet ticks all the box's, power, fit out etc., No 2 is 70 feet and also ticks all the box's. We know that there are a number of cuts that we cannot get on with this size but would just like to ask if the pro's out weigh the cons.

thanks

paddy

:lol: Hi Paddy

Ive read most of the other replies which answer ur question, I have done nearly all our system including Ripon, Calder and Hebble L and L etc etc etc they r great and worth seeing but TO LIVE ON FULL TIME u need a 90 foot boat and as they dont go anywhere make do with 70 feet and u will get by any less is simply making life harder for u. Yes they cost a few bob more to run but the xtra space more than compensates and u can still reach 85 percent of our system,

Regards

Tim

• 9 months later...

Hello all

We've got a 70ft narrow boat that we live on, currently in Oxford, that we'd dearly love to get to the Lancaster canal for dream jobs.. Have just discovered the Rufford Branch section of the Leeds and Liverpool is only down as 62ft...

Following from the post quoted here, I've got a vague glimmer of hope but don't want to spend weeks getting up there to find out just not do-able! If anyone has any definite experience of getting throug the Rufford Branch on to the Ribble Link in a 70 footer, would love to hear.

Alternatively, any other ideas so we don't have to spend the two grand or so to get her craned/transported up there.

Many thanks, Chris

Technically they are 62ft long but I know that Dane got down the first lock and only just failed at the second. It could be worth a narrowboat of say 66-68ft giving it a go and letting us know:-)

George ex nb Alton retired

Hello all

We've got a 70ft narrow boat that we live on, currently in Oxford, that we'd dearly love to get to the Lancaster canal for dream jobs.. Have just discovered the Rufford Branch section of the Leeds and Liverpool is only down as 62ft...

Following from the post quoted here, I've got a vague glimmer of hope but don't want to spend weeks getting up there to find out just not do-able! If anyone has any definite experience of getting throug the Rufford Branch on to the Ribble Link in a 70 footer, would love to hear.

Alternatively, any other ideas so we don't have to spend the two grand or so to get her craned/transported up there.

Many thanks, Chris

Perhaps a 62ft boat could go down armed with a longish shaft to measure the available gap at each lock. It may well prove that just one of the locks is a dead 62ft:-)

George ex nb Alton retired

...real difficulty turning right when passing from the GU onto the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal (the junction under the M6).
Salford Junction. It will go round if you keep contact of the right side of the boat with the pointy bit of the junction: but some wind or bouncing off will mess it up and need the front end poling. I have watched a boat and butty doing it with aplomb: need to get the speed slow enough to take advantage of the extra turning effect from the butty, as mentioned below.

Ladywood Junction is one that doesn't work at all - that's coming around the OozelStLoop and heading back towards OldTurn. nbBen tried it 'on-camera' for the 1999 BCN challenge and it's entertainingly recorded in the very first series of 'Waterworld'. Similarly SandyTurn, leaving the IcknieldPortRoadWharfLoopLine and heading out of Birmingham towards Rotton Park.

Of the more sensible turns, RushallJunction is also very tight.

A sort of rite of passage reached is when you can take a 70’ boat round Sutton’s Stop in one go without stopping, reversing or dithering. It’s actually much easier if you’ve a butty in tow because the stem of the butty pushes you round. ...
Yes, it's doable if you start off very slowly from the stoplock. I first did it in the early 1970's on nbCrane, a Willow Wren hireboat. Arrogance of youth and all that. With someone living on a no-longer-trading workingboat moored outside the pub, and remembering that speed heading my pointy end towards the lace plates still gives me the heebyjeebies. Oh dear. It did go round, though.

Isn't the trick with Sutton Stop, if joining the Coventry, from the Oxford, to decide it really is time you went into Coventry centre ?

The only time I have been through Hawkesbury in about 35 years, I wasn't required to make the U turn at all, as my crew wanted to go the other way. :lol:

(Dissapointed, really! :lol: )

Isn't the trick with Sutton Stop, if joining the Coventry, from the Oxford, to decide it really is time you went into Coventry centre ?

The only time I have been through Hawkesbury in about 35 years, I wasn't required to make the U turn at all, as my crew wanted to go the other way. :lol:

Hmm,

I've done every possible manoeuvre at Sutton's, and I find the S bend to/from Coventry onto the Oxford worst of all of them

72' is fun in the way that it slots into the canals engineering, but sometimes that engineering may need checking :lol: .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but many canals were built to 70' 6" length - but with fenders? - which is why my GU boat at 71' 6" (must measure this accurately sometime) is really tight in some (without fenders).

Cheers,

Mike

Usually when someone's watching I make a pig's ear of Sutton Stop. :lol:. However, I made it this time - first the U bend then the S bend.

You can't cross England north of the Midlands in a 70 footer, and to reach places like Leeds and York you need to go round Trent Falls, You also can't reach the Lancaster Canal.

Whether the extra room outweighs this is up to you, If it were me (and it isn't) then between two boats that "tick all the boxes" I'd go for the one with the greatest cruising range. We have a sixty two footer, and we have been to the Lancaster Canal, however Ripple was chosen because she "ticked all the boxes". I nearly bought a 70 footer, but on close inspection it had some major drawbacks in it's interior that would have cost too much to put right.

NB Progress (Chris Coburn, myself and crew) went to the Lancaster canal in 1996 by water. So how come you can't now?? Down the Mersey head North past Sefton and into the Ribble - Ribble Link. Some experience and navigating ability is required but it is possible and quite an exciting cruise. Been there, done it.

Since the offside concreting the turn off the Leek Arm to go down Hazlehurst is very, very tight for full length boats. It is rumoured that this was the responsiblity of the same misguided engineer who reduced the length of the winding hole before Froghall tunnel. It is said that the edge had been staked out before it was pointed out that full length boats might just want to make the turn. Regards, HughC.