Calling "cheap" numbers from your mobile

dor

Featured Posts

I don't think your comment is Off Topic, just not relevant.

The point I was coming from, and I'm sorry if this wasn't clear, is call cost from a mobile phone to 0800 numbers.

In that circumstance I'm struggling to see how Skype can be any sort of viable alternative, so my answer to your question is No.

I am at present in Brazil and I use Skype all the time to phone mobiles and land lines in UK and on Skype you can not call 0800 numbers etc. Greatest thing out Skype I can call my kids mobiles from Brazil for less than 5p per min

I am at present in Brazil and I use Skype all the time to phone mobiles and land lines in UK and on Skype you can not call 0800 numbers etc. Greatest thing out Skype I can call my kids mobiles from Brazil for less than 5p per min

Which bit of "The point I was coming from, and I'm sorry if this wasn't clear, is call cost from a mobile phone to 0800 numbers." are you finding difficult to understand?

If you bothered to follow the link I gave you would have seen it is about someone undertaking commercial carrying on the (UK) canals. The fact that you find Skype useful when in Brazil is not relevant to those circumstances.

I don't think your comment is Off Topic, just not relevant.

The point I was coming from, and I'm sorry if this wasn't clear, is call cost from a mobile phone to 0800 numbers.

In that circumstance I'm struggling to see how Skype can be any sort of viable alternative, so my answer to your question is No.

Depends where and what your doing i guess. A lot of people with smart phones can and do use skype on them as an alternative.

If you have internet but no landline (common for students, and people on boats with suitably large data allowences) then it could well also be a good option.

Which bit of "The point I was coming from, and I'm sorry if this wasn't clear, is call cost from a mobile phone to 0800 numbers." are you finding difficult to understand?

I think he's just point out that its not just mobile phones that have the problem, it applys to skype also.

Daniel

Is there already a online list of geographical equivalent numbers that are more suitable for use from mobiles, or shall we start an 'all in one place' list here?

Yes there is.

"Saynoto0870" is excellent, I use it all the time.

Companies do try to close the loopholes but starting another list wouldn't stop this, it would be just reinventing the wheel.

That I wasn't aware of, thankyou for the positive contribution.

David

In my previous post I meant to suggest that using skype might be an alternative to a mobile as it appears that you have an internet connection if your computer has speakers and a microphone facility, it may be possible to use skype to reduce your call charges.

I have just called 0800 4799947 on skype and as far as am I aware have not been charged, its possible they have started to charge for these calls I will try and get somemore definate answers

Hope this helps

John

EDIT just checked my skype account and the call was FOC.

John

Edited by Offcumden

Dave Mayall said, in December 2008:

"The main effect of this is that 08xx numbers are now becoming less popular, and companies are migrationg to 03xx numbers, which are charged (or not) just like geographic numbers.

Broadly speaking, this whole thing was an issue last year, but is vanishing as we speak."

However I rarely see an 0345 number; in fact I can't recall seeing any!

Is this still happening?

If you bothered to follow the link I gave you would have seen it is about someone undertaking commercial carrying on the (UK) canals. The fact that you find Skype useful when in Brazil is not relevant to those circumstances.

Wow that's told me!!!

David

In my previous post I meant to suggest that using skype might be an alternative to a mobile as it appears that you have an internet connection if your computer has speakers and a microphone facility, it may be possible to use skype to reduce your call charges.

I have just called 0800 4799947 on skype and as far as am I aware have not been charged, its possible they have started to charge for these calls I will try and get somemore definate answers

Hope this helps

John

EDIT just checked my skype account and the call was FOC.

John

Thanks for FOC advise.

I find Skype not to great on the boat with a Mobile connection. (Hope I don't get told off again!!)

Ofcom recognised the problem with 08 numbers and so 03 was introduced. It has not been well promoted unfortunately, but all phone operators MUST only charge 03 numbers at the same rate as 01 and 02. The BBC are now using 03 for a number of services. There is no reason for RCR not to do the same. I tried it briefly with my business, but found that people were put off by it, fearing high call costs. Pity.

Edited by Dominic M

One phone is on contract and the other phone the OH uses when I go out walking is on PAYG. For that I chose Giffgaff (Part of O2) which gives us free 0800 numbers. Now that does come in handy.

They have a good deal on at the moment with a £5 sim giving you 60 talk minutes, loads of text (can't remember how many now) and free internet until the end of Feb.

If you are on PAYG with two phones it is worth using Giffgaff because as long as you top up regularly you can talk giffgaff to giffgaff for up to 60 minutes at a time for no cost.

Their price per call are very compeditive too.. ----> Giffgaff

Sign up other people and you get extra credit on your phone... In this case I have not supplied a referal from me ;)

Skype users can get a "SkypeOut" number, which is e.g. a London number, and this accesses a personal "exchange" which then allows you to either dial numbers or store frequently used numbers ( worldwide) at Skype rates.

I have unlimited landline calls on my cellphone, which the SkypeOut number falls into, and when "in" to the system, can dial any number, worldwide, at Skype rates... As far as I am seeing, most / all 0800 numbers are free.

Also you can buy pre-pay bundles - I am currently on a 120 minute a month bundle to France for £1-20/month, so I am calling France landlines from my mobile for a penny a minute (+VAT). Bigger bundles are even cheaper. I also have a bundle to Thailand, as my daughter is travelling, which allows calling to Mobiles (and landlines) also at a penny a minute, which I find astounding. However, unless she is in well- populated areas mobile coverage is sparse. She has Skype on her mobile too so we use that for free, from the PC here, and very good t is too...

Nick

I have BT option 3 or something, it allows free calls all day. But I still have to pay for 0845, 0870 etc. Makes my blood boil.

I bank with First Direct who have a 0845 number, but I recently dicovered their international number works fine and is free (on option3). It's on the debit card.

Suggest you check back with BT if they are still charging you for 0845 & 0870 calls within a free call package. If so go for a refund as they altered their call packages to include those numbers about a year ago.

For 0800 numbers from a mobile dial 01243590800 then enter 0800 number when prompted. If you have inclusive minutes it's free, otherwise it's just the standard landline charge with no premium.

Sorry,not wishing to be pedandtic, I thought the standard landline charge for 0800 was free of charge or do you mean it includes 0845 numbers which are free unless you have no inclusive minutes left?.

John

Sorry,not wishing to be pedandtic, I thought the standard landline charge for 0800 was free of charge or do you mean it includes 0845 numbers which are free unless you have no inclusive minutes left?.

John

Many / most / all 0800 numbers from mobiles are now chargeable, but dialling a landline may not be - so calling an 0800 when you are "in" a landline number will be free.

Nick

Thanks Nick,

If I understand you correctly dialing 01243590800 ******** from my mobible puts me "in" a landline number and the call will be free.

Dialing 01243590845 ********* from my mobible puts me "in" a landline number and the call will be free, if I have inclusive minutes left, otherwise the local call rate applies.

All I need now is a signal :banghead:

:cheers:

John

For 0800 numbers from a mobile dial 01243590800 then enter 0800 number when prompted. If you have inclusive minutes it's free,

Can anyone confirm this works? the number given is a standard std code:

"The dialling code for E Marden, W. Sussex [Chichester] is 0124359"

I just wondered how this works.

Can anyone confirm this works? the number given is a standard std code:

"The dialling code for E Marden, W. Sussex [Chichester] is 0124359"

I just wondered how this works.

I tried it to dial home and it works - not sure who runs it though....

Nick

Thanks Nick,

If I understand you correctly dialing 01243590800 ******** from my mobible puts me "in" a landline number and the call will be free.

Dialing 01243590845 ********* from my mobible puts me "in" a landline number and the call will be free, if I have inclusive minutes left, otherwise the local call rate applies.

All I need now is a signal :banghead:

:cheers:

John

Hi John,

Your second line applies...

Dialing 01243590845 ********* from my mobible puts me "in" a landline number and the call will be free, if I have inclusive minutes left, otherwise the (local - i.e. your usual rate) call rate applies.

Nick

I tried it to dial home and it works - not sure who runs it though....

Interesting - I wonder if it works for any std code?

Many, many years ago, you could dial a long distance call by dialling a series of intermediate local codes and get the call at the local rate. Perhaps the exchanges can still be fooled...

Hi

I googled the number yesterday and got a link to a 'Hhad Hua Hin Forum' appears to be a forum for expats with links to Thailand.

It has a specific forum related to all things digital and appears to finding ways of avoiding what they consider to be restrictive practices on the web.

Given Nicks explanation is it possible the number fools the mobible into thinking its calling fom a landline?

John

The number works;I wouldn't have posted it if it didn't.

Sorry rgreg, I wasn't trying to cast doubt on your integrity, but it was possible the number had been entered wrongly as it is a standard std code and it is odd that it should work in this way.

Sorry rgreg, I wasn't trying to cast doubt on your integrity, but it was possible the number had been entered wrongly as it is a standard std code and it is odd that it should work in this way.

No problem. Yes, it is a standard landline number and that number is used as the "host" to make the 0800 call. Apparently they make their money by receiving a handling fee for each 0800 call made through their service. Unfortunately it doesn't work for 0845 prefixes.

Edited by rgreg