Thames Lock Cottages

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

IWA Press Release

Issue Date: 04 December 2008

IWA WELCOMES ENVIRONMENT AGENCY U-TURN OVER SALE OF LOCK COTTAGES

The Inland Waterways Association (IWA) has welcomed the announcement by the Environment Agency that it has scrapped plans to sell or let one third of lock-keepers' cottages on the River Thames.

Earlier this year IWA protested against the plans to sell 10 river lock cottages and to let a further 12 to cut costs. IWA lobbied MPs and alerted waterways stakeholders. This led to criticism of the EA by MPs, councillors, and other waterways user groups. An Early Day Motion was tabled in Parliament and, as a result of this pressure, the Agency suspended its proposals pending further review.

The Agency has announced that it has "listened carefully" to people's objections and that concerns about "flood risk" was key to its decision to abandon the sell off. It now has made a commitment to ensure that there are resident lock keepers at each of the 45 locks along the Thames. There are still plans to sell five relief cottages, which are not on the river, and relocate residents. However, it has guaranteed that no lock and weir staff will be made homeless or redundant. This decision has been welcomed by lock keepers and their supporters.

Speaking on behalf of IWA, Roger Squires, the chairman of Navigation Committee, said:

“We are delighted that common sense has prevailed. It is important for lock cottages to remain with resident lock keepers as they play an important role in managing flood risk in the Thames valley. Without their essential supervision, along a river much frequented by the public, there is always a significant risk to public safety and to property.

I congratulate Defra Ministers on their intervention and the Environment Agency on its willingness to revisit its initial proposal and the subsequent decision not to proceed with the disposal of the lock keeper cottages along the Thames.”

ENDS

To some extent lock keepers can open all the paddles at both ends of the lock, (or on any weirs), and "donate" their flood to the next lock keeper down!

Whilst that's a tongue in cheek suggestion, it was my understanding from somebody unfortunate to have a house by the Thames that suffered frequent flooding, that it had not previously been a problem, but that water was now run off from "higher up" to protect expensive housing that had been built there.

To some extent lock keepers can open all the paddles at both ends of the lock, (or on any weirs), and "donate" their flood to the next lock keeper down!

Whilst that's a tongue in cheek suggestion, it was my understanding from somebody unfortunate to have a house by the Thames that suffered frequent flooding, that it had not previously been a problem, but that water was now run off from "higher up" to protect expensive housing that had been built there.

I was told, by someone supposedly in the know, that that was why the Jubilee River channel was built, saving all the expensive houses around Maidenhead etc. The potential claims from famous (rich) people were too much to contemplate.

Edited by johnthebridge

I was told, by someone supposedly in the know, that that was why the Jubilee River channel was built, saving all the expensive houses around Maidenhead etc. The potential claims from famous (rich) people were too much to contemplate.

I suppose one day, by some miracle somebody might actually understand how the Thames is run and how the river reacts to rising water levels. Alas not yet