Gas System Woes

Denis R

Featured Posts

This is going to sound a bit like a Carry On film "Matron, we've a blockage in the back passage" maintenance issue but.... I'm getting a funny smell from the gas locker, a sort of sweet sickly smell with a whiff of rubber in it; plus a similar smelling light coating of something on the regulator. If I touch any of the components it leaves the smell on the hands and everything has a very slight, what I could only describe as clamminess to it. I'm not getting what I'd recognise as a smell of gas per se and the gas bottles are lasting as long as they ever have. I did have to replace the regulator a few months back, which failed open and blew a sheet of flame up my arms when I turned on the hob. Joy. The old regulator too had the sickly sweet smell and what appeared to be traces of a liquid in it which didn't evaporate quickly. The installation is 2 x 3,9Kg bottles, tails with NRVs, regulator and shut off valve in a low locker 'cos of the tug style bow.

Anybody got any ideas as searching gas, smell and sticky didn't bring enlightenment....

If you have high pressure rubber tails, i.e. they are between the bottle and the regulator then there has been a known problem where stuff from the rubber can get leached out, the plasticisers I think. I have posted on this before and you may be experiencing something similar but from your description not exactly the same.

Previous post on liquid in gas regulators

There have been reports of liquids in regulators on caravans / motorhomes, but I believe this is linked to remote gas regulators with HP hoses between the bottles and resultors rather than the bottle regualtors.

See clicky and read the pdf document for details

Edited by PeterF

Thanks guys - wrong data input to the search engine it seems. Interesting read Peter, thanks. Lots of what's alluded to in the article seems to be present in my installation. The high pressure hoses are as near as damn it horizontal, there's no upward slope to speak of from the bottles to the regulator and the regulator outlet is at the bottom. I 'll have a look and see if the regulator can be mounted any higher. I could go along with the plasticiser theory, the smell's got that rubbery aromatic aroma to it....

Thanks guys - wrong data input to the search engine it seems. Interesting read Peter, thanks. Lots of what's alluded to in the article seems to be present in my installation. The high pressure hoses are as near as damn it horizontal, there's no upward slope to speak of from the bottles to the regulator and the regulator outlet is at the bottom. I 'll have a look and see if the regulator can be mounted any higher. I could go along with the plasticiser theory, the smell's got that rubbery aromatic aroma to it....

Another bit I can add is that it has not happened since I drained and cleaned the regulator and pipework. (probably explained in the pdf somewhere)