A new way of looking at the CC issue

mayalld

Featured Posts

"Sales of continuous cruising licences have been growing significantly and, despite the terms and conditions of the licence, there is evidence that a growing number choose to remain on temporary moorings in relatively narrow geographic areas. The risk of congestion on particularly popular waterways therefore presents a management challenge that we must address.

“BW is therefore considering workable policies to implement during 09/10 that will encourage the proportion of boaters without a home mooring but who wish to remain within a specific area of the network to choose an appropriate mooring option. The option of a ‘roving mooring permit’ could cater for those who like to have no fixed base and cruise short distances between temporary moorings within easy reach of their work or other land-based commitment. By purchasing such a permit, they would no longer be classified as continuous cruisers.” Source: Simon Salem BW, via Waterways World

Well, there's an idea to add to the pot....

1. I presume that people in marinas will also pay the nightly charge as they are moored on BW water.

2. I have been in Wrenbury now for 10 days with 2 other boats in that 10 days maybe 15 boats have been past I think 3 have moored up over night, so a mooring officer is going to walk these moorings every day during the winter.

3. Every time I get off my boat I sink into about 4" of mud do I get a reduction?

4. As I am single as are the other 2 boats cruising with me do we get a reduction over couples.

5. Do people on hire boats pay the charge.

6. How does it work with shared ownership boats that pay the same licence as I do but also cruise for about 50 weeks a year.

7. My friends 45ft boat does not take as much space as my 60ft boat do we both pay the same?

I could go on and think someone should get back into there box and have a rethink before getting out of it as mentioned before

BARKING MAD

Well, there's an idea to add to the pot....

It was added months ago.

The continuous moorers didn't like it, as it pulls the rug out from under their "well I would get a mooring, but none are available" argument that they use to excuse their behaviour

It was added months ago.

The continuous moorers didn't like it, as it pulls the rug out from under their "well I would get a mooring, but none are available" argument that they use to excuse their behaviour

So a "continuous moorer's" licence would be acceptable to you?

So a "continuous moorer's" licence would be acceptable to you?

No.

A roving mooring permit, which required movement every 14 days, but allowed a boater to remain in a specified area rather than requiring cruising over a significant part of the network would be OK.

There would need to be a limit on the number of permits issued for a given area.

No.

A roving mooring permit, which required movement every 14 days, but allowed a boater to remain in a specified area rather than requiring cruising over a significant part of the network would be OK.

There would need to be a limit on the number of permits issued for a given area.

I do get confused thought you said on another thread that you did not like people staying 14 days on one mooring!!!

So CCers who move all over the system are OK now even if they stay on one mooring for 14 days.

I do get confused thought you said on another thread that you did not like people staying 14 days on one mooring!!!

I've already explained more than once that this is not my position.

If you can't be arsed reading what I've written, but would prefer to peddle untruths about what my position is, then so be it.

No.

I think most people, forced to bridgehop would go for that.

The proportion of people deliberately flouting the law, to get something for nothing, is a lot smaller than I believe you think it is.

I think most people, forced to bridgehop would go for that.

I do too Carl, but I'm not sure about 'forced'. I'm sure there's more free will in play here, for example there are moorings available on my stretch of the GU, should the hoppers wish to avail themselves of a mooring.

The overtime of the enforcement officers would be paid out of the £50 charges for those who imagine that nobody is ever going to check out here in the back of beyond.

They could even franchise enforcement out, and pay £25 per offender nabbed

How about a website where you can report those not displaying a valid ticket and claim your share of the booty?

:lol:

this roving permit would suit me ,£150 quid is better than grand or so i pay to stay in the locality at present.

bring on this scheme asap.

It would be nice to think that it would only be £150 for a roving permit but suspect it will be nearer the cost of an on-line mooring.

sorry.

This is simply a tax on people who use there boats. When I bought my boat I was told that the reason it had a pointed end and a engine was that this made moving about the system a lot easier and that this should work 365 days a year.

What this idea does is charge CCers an extra £300 + a year for using there boat fom purpose. Its just a case of you use your boat more than I do so you should pay more than I do. Friends of mine who pay £2,000 + for there marina mooring but cruise for about 250 days a year would now have to pay an extra £190 a year.

Boaters that pay £3+ a night for winter moorings @ moorings that are empty during the winter anyway would pay 3 times as much as someone just staying for 1 night.

This is simply a tax on people who use there boats. When I bought my boat I was told that the reason it had a pointed end and a engine was that this made moving about the system a lot easier and that this should work 365 days a year.

What this idea does is charge CCers an extra £300 + a year for using there boat fom purpose. Its just a case of you use your boat more than I do so you should pay more than I do. Friends of mine who pay £2,000 + for there marina mooring but cruise for about 250 days a year would now have to pay an extra £190 a year.

Boaters that pay £3+ a night for winter moorings @ moorings that are empty during the winter anyway would pay 3 times as much as someone just staying for 1 night.

So, rather better than now, where the person with a winter mooring pays £3, and the overnighter pays nothing.

So, rather better than now, where the person with a winter mooring pays £3, and the overnighter pays nothing.

He is not paying nothing he is paying for his marina (including his connection fee) and he is paying a licence to use the system.

Edited by cotswoldsman

So, like I said, he would now pay £1 to the winter moorers £3, rather than the £0 he pays now.

No if it was my friend who pays over £2,000 a year for his marina he would be paying £5.48 per night for his marina mooring. £1.73 per night for his licence and the extra £1 so a total of £8.21 per night to own a boat and cruise. The winter moorer pays £3 per night plus £1.73 per night for his licence total £4.73.

Then I go back to my earlier point why should someone living on there own on a 45ft boat pay the same as a family on a 70ft boat mooring overnight.

Who said the overnighter has a permanent mooring?

Why did you ask this question?

No if it was my friend who pays over £2,000 a year for his marina he would be paying £5.48 per night for his marina mooring. £1.73 per night for his licence and the extra £1 so a total of £8.21 per night to own a boat and cruise. The winter moorer pays £3 per night plus £1.73 per night for his licence total £4.73.

Then I go back to my earlier point why should someone living on there own on a 45ft boat pay the same as a family on a 70ft boat mooring overnight.

Because he is getting the same thing for his money.

Why did you ask this question?

Because you suggested that the overnighter was already paying elsewhere.

Because he is getting the same thing for his money.

No he is not he only gets 45ft of space uses far less water and geberates less rubish.

I did ask earlier how this system works for hire boats and shared ownership boats?

Also think you mentioned earlier a £50 fine for non payment, is this £50 per day?

Why not just make it simple and charge CCers an extra £300?

How will a mooring officer know if a boat is mooring overnight or has just stoped for a few hours to go to pub and then back to his/her mooring?