Stuff on the Stort

tripitaka

Featured Posts

During a mad dash run to Harlow this summer we noticed some strange concrete structures in the fields on either/both sides of the Stort as we approached Harlow. Having quizzed the local inhabitants of the marina and received only grunts and head shakes, I throw it open to a wider audience! Most, but not all the small structures had numbers painted on them and visible on most were manhole type covers on the top. The "things" are about the size of a mini WW2 pill box and do not seem to follow any logical pattern.

Thoughts,answers or silly guesses will help no doubt!!

I've been married to a girl from 'arlow for 22 years so I recognise the form of communication used by the locals whom you met. The grunt means "It's your round" and the head shake is a standard response to the query "Isn't it your round?"

During a mad dash run to Harlow this summer we noticed some strange concrete structures in the fields on either/both sides of the Stort as we approached Harlow. Having quizzed the local inhabitants of the marina and received only grunts and head shakes, I throw it open to a wider audience! Most, but not all the small structures had numbers painted on them and visible on most were manhole type covers on the top. The "things" are about the size of a mini WW2 pill box and do not seem to follow any logical pattern.

Thoughts,answers or silly guesses will help no doubt!!

We noticed similar structures when we did the R Stort earlier this year. Enquiries revealed they are something to do with sewerage lines. Not very romantic.

Bill

Was it This

Sorry wonderlust, I can't get the download to download!! Chris

We noticed similar structures when we did the R Stort earlier this year. Enquiries revealed they are something to do with sewerage lines. Not very romantic.

Bill

Bill, I can't believe that! There are hundreds of thte things, I know HARLOW is special but unless they have the largest toilets in the world, I cannot see how thtey could ever generate that amount of sewage!!

Why is there nothing else like it anywhere I have ever been??

I've been married to a girl from 'arlow for 22 years so I recognise the form of communication used by the locals whom you met. The grunt means "It's your round" and the head shake is a standard response to the query "Isn't it your round?"

That explains soooo much!! We had a wonderful time at a quiz night in the Dusty Miller, just couldn't make sense of the questions but the nods, winks and nose twitches were fun to watch.

What a great bunch those Harlow people are, we had a wonderful trip, just struggled to understand the river ethic. We can't help closing gates and dropping paddles, but to be laughed at when we did it on thte Stort was a bit much!!