credit crunched boaters

djangobole

Featured Posts

I'm not suprised your bored given that you said this.

I find it odd though that someone who says they just wants to get on with enjoying themselves takes the effort to criticse another members posts with comments like this.

I bored with it too, but if your going to give it you've got to be prepared to take it too. :lol:

No problem. :lol:

I did say So what? but not as a direct comment about you but about the list of woes in the world you gave. In the context of not worrying about what I cannot change they are a "so what" because I cannot effect them. It doesn't mean that they are not important or that you are wrong to raise them.

However that is not to say that I don't care and should an opportunity to help change something I will take it. I did for instance go on the demonstration in London against the Iraq war before we invaded but sadly it didn't help but there was a chance that it might have. Should any of the political parties in the future have a swift exit policy from Iraq and Afganistan in their manifesto then they are quite likely to get my vote.

If you are going to mention "if you are going to give it then be perpared to take it" then I think that applies to you too. Your "All is rosy in the garden, really?" comment in response to my post that you quoted was rather sarcastic I thought. But it is not really a problem I guess we have different philosophies.

Edited by churchward

Woo Woo Woo PC Police!

May I jusy say, for the record, that we haven't an immigrant problem but an immigration problem.

To say it's a problem with the people as opposed to the policy is to provide an avenue for the hate mongers. Now that the debate can be had by grown ups, these linguistic differences are important as if we stick to ation then someone who wants to turn it into a racist attack has to make the jump to ant that person can then be singled out for the hate monger that they are and dealt with.

No we don't, jumping from correcting someone's language was intended to be a long way from calling them names.

However having heard the news recently a(nd having hopefully just escaped a sticky moment) I'm quite glad that that list of BNP members has been published, a few of them will know how it feels to live with the kind of fear that they impart in the communities that they castigate.

No we don't, jumping from correcting someone's language was intended to be a long way from calling them names.

However having heard the news recently a(nd having hopefully just escaped a sticky moment) I'm quite glad that that list of BNP members has been published, a few of them will know how it feels to live with the kind of fear that they impart in the communities that they castigate.

Calm down! The tongue out was supposed to indicate a light hearted joke.

Edited to say: and "Hate monger" isn't calling them names??

Edited by carlt

Recession can be an excellent business opportunity. It allows good businesses to strengthen their positions and become more profitable. Costs, including wages, can be driven down with ease and competitors disappear leaving greater opportunity for those remaining. I personally have never experienced such excellent trading conditions as recent months, and subsequently if I was in the market for a new boat this would be the perfect time to start shopping.

I was speaking to a bloke who works at McDonalds UK HQ recently. For them business is booming as people desert Starbucks and Co for the greater perceived value offered by their Golden Arches branding.

I have lived and worked through previous downturns and found them to have a very beneficial effect. Lets hope this one finally kills off Sterling before Gordon B and Co really abuse it in a desperate attempt to win the next election. The best justification I have ever heard for the Euro (and its directly connected interest rates) is that 'it stops the idiots messing'. Stand by for some serious messing with our beloved sovereign pound. Will it survive as a meaningful world currency as the world watches it being manipulated for short term local interests?

This really depends from which side you looking at things in retail the pay costs cannot be driven down any further and the people at the bottom of the tree are barely surviving at the moments. I would not frequent either of the 2 ripoff pervaors of overpriced crap foods and drink. I have lived and worked through downturns but have not really benefited from any up turn ,me being in a job that could be pinned down to minimum pay to aid the boom of the thatcher and new Tory years. My belief is that this is a that this is a very deep rescission,one commentator saying that people thought this would be like recessions of the recent past when they should be looking at the recession of the 1930s. Most business have already driven out what costs they could bar management cost so where do they go from now on to cut costs?

I was just trying to avoid calling david and julie names when I didn't intend to. Sorry didn't mean to jump down anyone's throat...

Wasn't calling anyone but the hate mongers names and the mods would tell me off if I used the language usually reserved for such types.

I was just trying to avoid calling david and julie names when I didn't intend to. Sorry didn't mean to jump down anyone's throat...

Wasn't calling anyone but the hate mongers names and the mods would tell me off if I used the language usually reserved for such types.

Yep, I was referring to the "hate mongers" too, certainly not any of the forum members (though I must confess to searching the list for a couple of names, happily absent).

You mean like the BNP members who have been named.

No forum members have been named as BNP members. What on earth gave you that idea?

Edited to say: I would also point out that any forum member has a democratic right to be a member of the BNP (unless they're a police officer).

Edited by carlt

No forum members have been named as BNP members. What on earth gave you that idea?

Edited to say: I would also point out that any forum member has a democratic right to be a member of the BNP (unless they're a police officer).

Not just aimed at this forum but life in general

Recession can be an excellent business opportunity. It allows good businesses to strengthen their positions and become more profitable. Costs, including wages, can be driven down with ease and competitors disappear leaving greater opportunity for those remaining. I personally have never experienced such excellent trading conditions as recent months, and subsequently if I was in the market for a new boat this would be the perfect time to start shopping.

I was speaking to a bloke who works at McDonalds UK HQ recently. For them business is booming as people desert Starbucks and Co for the greater perceived value offered by their Golden Arches branding.

I have lived and worked through previous downturns and found them to have a very beneficial effect. Lets hope this one finally kills off Sterling before Gordon B and Co really abuse it in a desperate attempt to win the next election. The best justification I have ever heard for the Euro (and its directly connected interest rates) is that 'it stops the idiots messing'. Stand by for some serious messing with our beloved sovereign pound. Will it survive as a meaningful world currency as the world watches it being manipulated for short term local interests?

This is really well put. Recession isn't the end of business, it's the end of badly run businesses.

Those businesses and individuals worst affected by the credit crunch are those who borrowed more than they could afford.

My firm thrived (throve?) through the last 'recession' in the early 1990s and I have every expectation of it doing so this time.

Back on topic, boat prices and sales have been affected in a similar way to brick property sales: the prices are coming down to more sensible levels. If you bought at the top of the market, you'll lose some money. It was ever thus.

Back on topic, boat prices and sales have been affected in a similar way to brick property sales: the prices are coming down to more sensible levels. If you bought at the top of the market, you'll lose some money. It was ever thus.

Absolutely. If you see the boat as a long term depreciating asset, its rate of decline will even out over the years and the current sudden drop will not be so significant. If you bought high and need to sell now, well there's not a lot you can do....

Do we think that the boats that sell despite a recession are either 'cheap as chips' or top end, it's the middle range that gets stuffed?

I didn't think you were jumping down my throat Smelly. Why would I when I haven't said anything racist?

All I did was write "immigrant" rather than your preferred "immigration" there was nothing sinister in it.

I didn't think you were jumping down my throat Smelly. Why would I when I haven't said anything racist?

All I did was write "immigrant" rather than your preferred "immigration" there was nothing sinister in it.

Nuff said. :lol:

Anyways, seen any cheap boats for sale?

Unfortunately, the reduction in work availability, around here, means the immigration "problem" is solving itself.

The nice, community spirited East European families, renting accommodation, on our street, are returning home and the English replacements can be seen regularly nipping out to their dealers' cars, for their next fix.

Absolutely. If you see the boat as a long term depreciating asset, its rate of decline will even out over the years and the current sudden drop will not be so significant. If you bought high and need to sell now, well there's not a lot you can do....

Do we think that the boats that sell despite a recession are either 'cheap as chips' or top end, it's the middle range that gets stuffed?

Quite true when we bought our boat earlier in the year we did so on what we thought at the time was a "cheeky" offer but perhaps now it is looking like a more market standard/normal price given its age and length. In anycase whatever happens with prices (they may indeed go down much further) it is rather academic to us in that we paid what we paid and we don't intend to sell anytime soon. I certainly didn't buy thinking it was an investment in the first place just something that is an asset (although a depreciating one) that we will enjoy for a long time hopefully.

What would you say is middle range price band by the way? I ask as it seems we may all have a different view of what that means.

Nuff said. :lol:

Anyways, seen any cheap boats for sale?

There are loads of cheap boats but few "good" cheap boats about. :lol:

I'm not sure if dropping values have fully filtered through yet though. I suppose the crunch time for many will be when the big bills start arriving. I pay usually pay my licence and mooring in full when they arrive(to benefit from the discount), so haven't been affected yet, but certainly they will make a load thump when they next hit the mat. I suppose if ones financial situation as greatly worsened during the intervening period one would have little choice but to sell - if you can.

Its very sad when people lose their hobbies and probably have take a hit on the price too.

What would you say is middle range price band by the way? I ask as it seems we may all have a different view of what that means.

For the purposes of assessing saleability in the current climate, let's get the ball rolling with:

Cheap: Less than £15000

Mid: £15000 - £80000 (yeah, big range, I know)

Top: £80000+ and anything that's considered 'niche'

Just a finger in the air, open to critique.