What Engine Oil For BMC 1800, please ?

Featured Posts

Hello,

I'm a completely new poster to your forum, so may be about to ask a number of fairly basic questions.

My wife and I have just completed purchase of our secondhand narrowboat today, and are now about to start crawling over it to see exactly what we've got.

First question, please,

It has a BMC 1800 diesel, marinised by Calcutt. Obviously I'll need to try and obtain suitable manuals, but to get me going, can one of the many people out there who will have one of these engines advise me what specification oil is correct for it.

Many thanks,

Alan Fincher

NB "Chalice"

As I understand it, these old marinised BMCs and the like are better on cheap oil. Unfortunately, due to volume, "cheap" oil now tends to be more expensive.

Because of the type of work a boat engine does, i.e. long periods of running at low loads and low speeds, modern diesel oils increase the tendency to cause glazing of the bores. Also modern multigrades like 10/40 tend to be too thin for these old engines, which were not designed or built to the same very fine tolerances of modenr engine.

So what you need is an oil that was around when the engine was.

This means a basic 20/50, or even better, a straight 30 or 40 grade.

I am told the thing to look for is "API CC" which is a relatively low grade, but apparently suits the older marinised engines. This is not easy to find in the likes of Halfords, but you may get it in a motor factors. I heard that ASDA were selling a "cheap" motor oil which was graded API CC.

Chandlers will sell it of course, but at usual chandler prices.

Thanks for detailed answer, including the explanation.

I knew someone would know !

Off shortly to investigate the 12V electrics, master switches, battery charging arrangements, etc.

No doubt I'll be posting more questions by this evening, (unless a search reveals someone has asked them before, of course....)

Alan Fincher

"Chalice"

Welcome to the joys of boat ownership! You will no doubt spend many happy hours trying to understand "why did they do it like that?"

You will find this forum a quick and broad source of knowledge, not all of which will be in agreement!

However bear in mind that many of your questions will have been discussed at length already, so use the search function to look for likely threads. Don't be afraid to ask a question though - someone will point you to an existing thread if it is relevant.

Dor is right, I ran an BMC1800 some years ago on both 20/50 Summer and Winter and then on 40 grade after the pre-season oil change and 30 grade after the end of season oil change.

Morris oil is good and they make a whole range of oil for old and vintage engines but do look for it at an oil distributers, look in Yellow pages etc for Oil fuel distributers and suppliers many of them also sell oil in the same way as chandlers and motor factors but cheaper. Caldo here in N.Wales save me approx £3.00 a gallon on Morris Supreme 30 grade I use now against the price in M/Chandlers etc. Farm suppliers ie Burgess or Northwest Farmers are also better prices than chandlers or garages.

David

... spend hours trying to understand "why did they do it like that?"

Hehe!

We get that on our EA, even tho my grandad did most of it, he cant remeber it!

so its "why did i do it like that" - which is almost worse!

Danel

Guest st170dw
Hehe!

We get that on our EA, even tho my grandad did most of it, he cant remeber it!

so its "why did i do it like that" - which is almost worse!

Danel

23514[/snapback]

LOL it will happen to you given time Dan :(

age is great,i was able to say to a couple of oldies the other day,shut your gobs you old moaners.like me they were 50 -ish and over but they were that old in their heads as well as body.moaning about statues in another place.

this is what are rates is being spent on blah blah what is the point blah blah.

as i was as old as them they could not say ,youngsters today no respect or some thing simalar.old fogey,s i hope i can keep that attitude away,because i swear life is getting funnier with age.

edit-oh yes the oil i forgot about that,i dont know

Edited by gaggle

I had the same problem with my BMC 1.5 when Castrol discontinued their old fashioned Diesel Engine Oil a few years ago, so I contacted Morris Lubricants. They recomended their Straight 30 SAE oil (I think it is called Supreme30) which is designed for older Diesel Engines. I have bneen using it for several years now and it seems to be ok. Midland Chandlers, and some other Chandleries, are now stocking it, but if you have difficulty it can be ordered directly (minimum order 4 x 5 litres) from Morris's Vintage and Steam Vehicle Division.

I have the workshop manual for the BMC 1.8 and that recomends SAE20/50 oil. with API rating of CC. Examples were Castrol GTX 20W/50 and Duckhams Q20W/50. This was probably top grade stuff when the manual was written. Personally, I have gone on to Castrol GTD when it's on offer, otherwise Halford's. These are now 10/40 and the API has gone up to SF.

There's some stuff about API ratings on this website. www.largiader.com/jetta/motoroil.html

When I first got a BMC, about 15 years ago, I used the SAE 30 grade oil as recomended by the chandler. I had trouble with low oil pressure, when the engine was hot and nasty black sludgy oil at oil change. That was the last ime I used mono grade oil.

The higher API grades hold soot in suspension better and are formulated for long service intervals in high performance engines. I imagined they would cope with boats easily but there have been claims that they cause bore glazing - whatever that may be, which prevents piston ring from bedding down. I can understand that new bores and rings need to bed down but, as most BMC engines are well run in (if not worn out) by now, I can't see why we want to encourage more wear.

Arthur

I have the workshop manual for the BMC 1.8 and that recomends SAE20/50 oil.  with API rating of CC.  Examples were Castrol GTX 20W/50  and Duckhams Q20W/50.

When I first got a BMC, about 15 years ago, I used the SAE 30 grade oil as recomended by the chandler.  I had trouble with low oil pressure, when the engine was hot and nasty black sludgy oil at oil change.  That was the last ime I used mono grade oil.

Thanks for this ....

As I was starting to get a variety of advice, I rang Calcutt Boats earlier, (marinisers of my BMC 1800, albeit 10 years ago, and on a reconditioned engine...)

For what it's worth, they said use a Multigrade, either 10/50 or 20/50, but "make sure it's not one designed for a turbocharged engine". No strong recommendationsd on make, or particular specification to loook for, though....

When I floated the Monograde idea, the gent I spoke to suggested that it wasn't a good idea. But I've seen a version of a Leyland manual that says a monograde IS acceptable, (provided it is appropriate to the ambient temperature....). Admittedly this wasn't specific to a marinised engine, so perhaps the different demands mean different oils are more suitable ?

Anyway, I guess there is no definitive answer to this one (!)

So let me try another....

My gearbox is a PRM Delta.

Same oil in that, or something different ??

Alan Fincher, "Chalice"

For the definitive answer to gearbox oil start at

http://www.newage-prm.co.uk/prm/products.htm

Sorry, I must be being dense tonight !..... (Have just proved that by emptying half a pint of beer into a keyboard - now running on a "hot spare" !....)

I can't immediately find anything on gearbox oils to use on those pages.

I's there a particular URL you can point me at.

Alan

Sorry, I must be being dense tonight !.....  (Have just proved that by emptying half a pint of beer into a keyboard - now running on a "hot spare" !....)

I can't immediately find anything on gearbox oils to use on those pages.

I's there a particular URL you can point me at.

Alan

23995[/snapback]

Sorry Alan

been out all day at our boat builders, I only new of the site and hoped there would be some info, there is a "contact us" at the bottom of the page. I would hope they would be willing to give you a quick reply.

Sorry Alan

been out all day at our boat builders, I only new of the site and hoped there would be some info, there is a "contact us" at the bottom of the page. I would hope they would be willing to give you a quick reply.

24077[/snapback]

No problem,

I sent them an e-mail last night, and got this reply this morning, (good service PRM-Newage - Thanks !)

"15W-40 is fine for your gearbox, we recommend a good engine oil? if it is good enough for your engine it will be good enough for your gearbox"

I hope thats right, as I've put a fair amount of it in today - I seem to have an oil leak on the oil cooler for the gearbox - one to investigate further, although presumably more easily fixed than if leaking from some parts of the box itself.

Alan

• 15 years later...

Hi

I have bought this......

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/mannol-20l-safari-sae-20w-50-classic-cars-mineral-engine-oil-api-slcf~c10488~p22336108/

For my marinised BMC 1.8.

Is this OK?

It is what was recommended in the manual so figured it was OK.

Many thanks

Great

Thanks for the response guys.

I actually got it from ebay but the link didn't work

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANNOL-10L-Safari-SAE-20W-50-Classic-Cars-Mineral-Engine-Oil-API-SL-CF/303081766608?_trkparms=aid%3D1110009%26algo%3DSPLICE.COMPLISTINGS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180518103912%26meid%3D31b19d799bda43fb961e39f789b14b02%26pid%3D100972%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D184156983790%26itm%3D303081766608%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2495737%26algv%3Ddefault%26brand%3DMannol&_trksid=p2495737.c100972.m5489

Stock up.

It's on offer and free delivery

Thanks again

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Is API CF suitable for these engines? I though API CC or perhaps CD was generally recommended.

From my experience on the Bukh as long a sits well run in I am sure it will be fine. I was using it for years when API CC got rare in local outlets with no apparent ill effects. I occasional used API CG4.

FWIW I take little notice of "semi synthetic" emblazoned across the can of such low spec oils. As I have said before I think its marketing and refers to the additive pack that all oils have in them today. I would avoid anything that says synthetic or has a viscosity of much less than 10W40.

I recently bought Mannol mineral engine oil , not the same grade as posted above due to being for different engines , and delighted with it at a price just over £38 for 20 litres - which  does my two engines nicely leaving a couple of litres  spare .

I also used Mannol readymix Coolant earlier in the year at about £24 for 20 litres.

Just a satisfied customer .

Prices  seem to vary from the same ebay supplier  for no particular reason - it must be  a marketing thing. So pounce when you see a good price.

Exol is a brand of oil , also sold on ebay, that also seems to be developing a good name and at reasonable prices .