River Slea

Purple Fairie

Featured Posts

Good to see!

We last went through this in 2007. Interestingly, there must have been an obstruction on the bottom because when all the water had drained out of the lock the rear of the boat was aground - six inches higher than it should have been - so we had to partially refloat and move Mad Hatter as far forward as possible before retrying - thankfully successfully.

This was after we had reversed back 2 and half miles from Fenny Bridge when we found we could not get under - perhaps a guage line painted on the guillotine lock verticals showing this bridge height would be useful. We had been warned of a low bridge ahead, but without specific information - so I had plumbed the air draft upto the Bailey Bridge and thought that this was the bridge in question! Only to find out later how wrong I was.

Richard

This was after we had reversed back 2 and half miles from Fenny Bridge when we found we could not get under - perhaps a guage line painted on the guillotine lock verticals showing this bridge height would be useful. We had been warned of a low bridge ahead, but without specific information - so I had plumbed the air draft upto the Bailey Bridge and thought that this was the bridge in question! Only to find out later how wrong I was.

Richard

Been there, done that! :lol:

'Fenny Bridge' ??? I've not heard of that one, is it another name for halfpenny toll bridge? If so it can be a problem depending on the level of the water, we can just get under (with nothing on the roof) when the water is at 'normal' levels, but as you found out, there is no where to wind if you are longer than 45' downstream of halfpenny toll bridge.

You mean the bridge at Halfpenny Hatch. Most narrowboats can get under but it is close. The last I went up on had to remove the tiller pin....

The bailey bridge used to be a major obstruction but has been raised twice now, so shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Thanks for the pictures Sam.