Red and White

GeoffS

Featured Posts

Who invented Diesel Engine? Rudolf Diesel got there several years after Herbert Ackroyd-Stuart.....

:lol:

Herbert Akroyd Stuart is credited with inventing a hot bulb engine that ran on heavy oil, The engine he patented had fairly low compression and required heat to start it, which had to be maintained until the engine had reached working temperature, Bolinder and Seffle engines are similar to the Akroyd engines.

Rudolph Diesel's invention was really an improvement on Akroyd's patent using higher compression and therefore eliminating the need for continuous heat starting. As both Akroyd and Diesel engines were manufactured for many years it does seem unfair that Akroyd's name was not applied to the generic description.

Edited to add:- My Metalwork Teacher at School used to beat on about how Rudolph Diesel did not invent the Diesel engine, amazing how you remember this stuff!

Edited by David Schweizer

I know this may seem a silly question but.......... Can you mix red and white ? Cos I have toataly lost the plot with this . The post are great fun but do we ever get to give the poor member a straight answer???? Or should we ask if you can mix pink and blue or its it better to add abit of yellow ... or are you all just taking the yellow stuff lol

Rooster

I know this may seem a silly question but.......... Can you mix red and white ?

Yes, absolutely.

Technically no reason why not.

Any half-way modern engine will run at least as well on white as red, and and oil fired boiler almost certainly better so.

The only issue is a paper one. If some of your diesel is bought as 'white' road fuel at a road outlet, but your 'red' comes from canal sources, where you need to make the declaration, it would be harder for you to prove to the revenue that any 'red' you bought at the lower rate was indeed only used for 'non propulsion'.

Good record keeping would seem sensible, but as someone says, how you prove a stack of receipts for 'white' actually went into your boat, and not your diesel car, I can't immediately see..... :lol:

Finally there is a question mark whether some truly vintage engines should actually be run on 'white', but it seems the numbers that couild be affected (if at all) are very low. If you have something very old, worth doing a bit more research, perhaps ?

Clear enough ?

Alan

Yes, absolutely.

Technically no reason why not.

Any half-way modern engine will run at least as well on white as red, and and oil fired boiler almost certainly better so.

The only issue is a paper one. If some of your diesel is bought as 'white' road fuel at a road outlet, but your 'red' comes from canal sources, where you need to make the declaration, it would be harder for you to prove to the revenue that any 'red' you bought at the lower rate was indeed only used for 'non propulsion'.

Good record keeping would seem sensible, but as someone says, how you prove a stack of receipts for 'white' actually went into your boat, and not your diesel car, I can't immediately see..... :lol:

Finally there is a question mark whether some truly vintage engines should actually be run on 'white', but it seems the numbers that couild be affected (if at all) are very low. If you have something very old, worth doing a bit more research, perhaps ?

Clear enough ?

Alan

Clear .. Alan Thank you Well it will be when I have another coffee to stop me brain hurting

Is this inferring that cetane rating and lubrication qualities have a connection ?

Nick

Don't know Nick ... it just says that "the low cetane rating of kerosene will have adverse effects on the engine"

Chris

It does - as the distillates climb up the Hdrocarbon chain they get further and further away from 'oil' and their propensity (great word that) to ignite gets faster and easier (lower cetane rating). They also become less lubricative, passing Kerosene and on up through Petrol we get to dry cleaning fluids (Naptha - which will dissolve oil) and then we get so far away from oil we only get gas (Butane and Propane etc).

Diesel engines use/need the lubricative quality of the fuel in the injector pumps and as an upper cylinder lubricant, petrol engines don't. You can therefore run a Petrol engine on LPG (Butane and Propane).

Just as an aside and not an "i've done this" (nor as a recommendation), you could probably run a Diesel engine on Kerosene if you added a combustible oil, Castrol R or some other 2 stroke oil. You'd smell great on the cut but if you got the mix wrong your engine wouldn't last very long at all - so as I said it's NOT Recommended !

Edited by DameEdna

A bit like Castrol R ? I used to add a bit to the petrol in my old A series...

when I werra lud.... boom - boom - boom - boom --- Es-so-Blue

:lol::lol:

Nick

I used to mix Castrol R into the 2 stroke mix on my NSU Quickly - Lovely smell. I am stuck with putting it in my Villiers engined Atco lawnmower now

K

""Finally there is a question mark whether some truly vintage engines should actually be run on 'white', but it seems the numbers that couild be affected (if at all) are very low. If you have something very old, worth doing a bit more research, perhaps ?""

my 52 year old engines been running on poor quality fuel since it was built with the amount of cleaning agents and additives in derv i reckon it would clean all the crap out and kill my engine am i willing to risk it nope no way :lol: