'Three' Mobile Broadband Question...

kayDee

Featured Posts

Hi all...

I use a 'three' USB modem and the 1GB broadband 'lite' £10 pay as you go option. At the moment, I've got 30MB left on my account and 3 days left. If I top it up with £10 now, will that mean I've got 3 days to use 1GB of data or will it start me with another 30 days from the point I top up? I'm worried that if I top up now, I've got 3 days to use up a gigabyte and then I'll have to pay ANOTHER £10 after that!

Kay

x

I'd be amazed if you topped up now, if the "new" 1Gb didn't last a full 30 days.

If you haven't used that residual 30Mb in the three days remaining, I would of course exoect you to lose it.

Alan.

Cheers Alan

I'm just a bit worried about adding another £10 in case! I'm really annoyed that you can't carry on any data allowance to the next month too! Okay, I will wait until my 30MB runs out and then add another tenner. I'll be so mad with them if my balance goes up to 1GB and my days remaining stays at 3! I wouldn't put it past them though. I just wish there was another PAYG mobile broadband provider. The Orange signal is fab around here but all theirs are contract and £15 a month. Arghh!

Thanks for the info Alan... Will let you know what happens when I add it!

Kay

x

Cheers Alan

I'm just a bit worried about adding another £10 in case! I'm really annoyed that you can't carry on any data allowance to the next month too! Okay, I will wait until my 30MB runs out and then add another tenner. I'll be so mad with them if my balance goes up to 1GB and my days remaining stays at 3! I wouldn't put it past them though. I just wish there was another PAYG mobile broadband provider. The Orange signal is fab around here but all theirs are contract and £15 a month. Arghh!

Thanks for the info Alan... Will let you know what happens when I add it!

Kay

x

I think Vodafone do a PAYG ... ah, it's a Sort Of PAYG ... http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/mobile-broadban...planDuration=30 and looks like it could work out quite expensive ...

The most annoying thing about the '3' PAYG offering is trying to predict how much you will use in the next 30 days, (1Gb, 3Gb or 7Gb).

Guess too high and you lose it, guess to low, and it costs significantly more to buy 'extra' than if you had chosen the right amount in the first place.

But it's still a much better prospect than a contract for those only using their boat from time to time though.

After two "usings", I now know most of the gigabytes are used if my son is on board. Just me and Cath, and we couuld usually get away with quite low usage. :lol:

I think Vodafone do a PAYG ... ah, it's a Sort Of PAYG ... http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/mobile-broadban...planDuration=30 and looks like it could work out quite expensive ...

Thanks Chris, will have a look at that...

Kay

x

The most annoying thing about the '3' PAYG offering is trying to predict how much you will use in the next 30 days, (1Gb, 3Gb or 7Gb).

Guess too high and you lose it, guess to low, and it costs significantly more to buy 'extra' than if you had chosen the right amount in the first place.

But it's still a much better prospect than a contract for those only using their boat from time to time though.

After two "usings", I now know most of the gigabytes are used if my son is on board. Just me and Cath, and we couuld usually get away with quite low usage. :lol:

Ah yes, the dreaded offspring... watch those megabytes just fly away... Hehe

Kay

x

'Three' are now selling a wifi router for their usb modems,

Unfortunately it's only available on contract at the moment but for those with more than one computer onboard it could be really useful for sharing a connection

http://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/?r...r=1&id=1201

The 'mobile broadband' technology seems to be improving all the time

'Three' are now selling a wifi router for their usb modems,

Unfortunately it's only available on contract at the moment but for those with more than one computer onboard it could be really useful for sharing a connection

Thanks Scotty

I don't see why they can't just sell you the router separately! I already have the USB modem and the SIM card. That's silly! If I could just buy the router, I'd have one of those straight away! I think they've also cut it down to only issue IP's to 4 hosts on the network too... Instead of the usual 253. Crafty! Still, the more people share the connection, the more data you use - more money for "3" !! I think I'll make my own, I have some squeezee bottles and some double sided sticky tape somewhere, oh and some milk bottle tops and string... :lol:

Kay

x

You can buy them yourself online for about £80 ish. I sold a spare one about 3 weeks ago for about £50. Did offer it on here before ebaying it.

JUstme

Do they work with any 3G SIM?

Kay

x

Do they work with any 3G SIM?

Kay

x

Currently NONE of them work with a sim (that I have found anyway).

Which think is daft.

They come in usb or "card" types dep on what you need. Also check that your dongle is compatable as some are not or you might need to update the firmware on the router to get your dongle working.

Justme

Thanks Scotty

I don't see why they can't just sell you the router separately! I already have the USB modem and the SIM card. That's silly! If I could just buy the router, I'd have one of those straight away! I think they've also cut it down to only issue IP's to 4 hosts on the network too... Instead of the usual 253. Crafty! Still, the more people share the connection, the more data you use - more money for "3" !! I think I'll make my own, I have some squeezee bottles and some double sided sticky tape somewhere, oh and some milk bottle tops and string... :lol:

Kay

x

Some one has done it, it may have been on uk.rec.waterways.

If I come across it I will forward it here

They don't work with a SIM? That's really silly! I guess it saves them having to build a modem into the router.

I really thought you'd just slide in a SIM and there would be some option for having a remote antenna too with a TNC socket or something...

Oh well, don't want to mess with all that. What a bugger!

Kay

x

They don't work with a SIM? That's really silly! I guess it saves them having to build a modem into the router.

I really thought you'd just slide in a SIM and there would be some option for having a remote antenna too with a TNC socket or something...

Oh well, don't want to mess with all that. What a bugger!

Kay

x

No messing just slip the usb dongle into a usb port. Got to be easier than fitting a sim in a tiny slot with a dodgy clip. My dongle has a external socket for an antenna, but with a usb lead you can get the dongle where it needs to be any way.

You can get laptops that take a sim directly.

Justme

PS there IS a modem in the router as well cos its used for the standard broadband which the router also does.

Hi all...

I use a 'three' USB modem and the 1GB broadband 'lite' £10 pay as you go option. At the moment, I've got 30MB left on my account and 3 days left. If I top it up with £10 now, will that mean I've got 3 days to use 1GB of data or will it start me with another 30 days from the point I top up? I'm worried that if I top up now, I've got 3 days to use up a gigabyte and then I'll have to pay ANOTHER £10 after that!

Kay

x

With 3 just add your next £10 at "my three" and it will automaticly que the credit for you and will add it when either the 30 days is reached on the other credit or add it when you have used all your credit and then start another 30 day period.

Hope that makes sence it does to me but I know what I mean.

Three' are now selling a wifi router for their usb modems,

I would spend a little extra and get one that will work with any provider. Linksys and BiPAC make 3G routers that work with these USB modems, you'll be spending around £80-100. BiPAC make a nice N Wifi 1Gb 4 port version for multi-pc speed hogs.

A google comes up with that the router from three isn't the best.

Edited by Robbo

I have been quite pleased with my "3" set up.

I have a 3 mobile phone on a monthly contract £15 for (300mins to any line AND 300 mins to any 3 number)OR 300 text messages. What is nice is that they text you when to get close to the limit. On only one occasion have I got close to the data limit and that was when I was using Google Maps a lot.

For an extra £10 per month I get 1GB of internet.

The phone acts as a modem but while it is doing so it can also receive calls. It is connected to my computer by Bluetooth which means that I can BluTak it to the window to get a decent signal.

It does need a 3G signal to work but I have found that 3G coverage is very good except on the Llangollen and Monty. Llangollen City was OK though.

HTH

Nick