Things I used to take for granted

Ange

Featured Posts

We've just come back from a weekend on the boat and I've been pondering on the things most people take for granted. My main ones are:

Having a poo, flushing the toilet and never having to think about it again

Turning on the taps time after time and never worrying whether the water's about to run out

And the obvious electricity issues - waiting for the kettle to boil on the hob just like when I was a kid, letting my hair dry on its own and accepting the erratic results, using the well deck as a fridge, only having one light on a time in the evening, etc etc

Any other offers?

Being able to lean out of the window and throw bread at ducks, was one of mine.

Lying awake wondering if you are:

a] drift

b] sinking

c] in the right boat

Having to juggle muddy boots, muddy paws, bare feet, socks, the British climate and cleanliness

Edited by stort_mark

Being able to lean out of the window and throw bread at ducks, was one of mine.

I was washing up yesterday, glanced up at the window and found a family of swans looking in at me - two adults and four cygnets (nearly swans - about half their feathers now white). For me, still very new to this, it was magical.

You need an hwmo, to kick out of bed, half an hour before you have to get up, to light the burner and bring coffee.

I was thinking more of when I get home from work! I quite like the cold brisk mornings, they wake me up!

Having lived on our boat for a year now and can confidently now say - I hope I will never have to live in a house ever again. Yes living on the boat does demand a different lifestyle, always watching water, gas and diesel levels, making sure the loo is emptied, ensuring that theres enough food for at least a couple of days (you never know if you might get caught out).

Tidying up takes on a different dimention, because if you don't do it, it can look a real mess very quickly. Doing the washing is now a well thought out manuver rather then just bunging it in, switching in on and go out for a bit.

Managing the dog walking so that there is always a towel at hand, else they will just spread wet mud everywhere. Shopping every couple of days because there is just no room anymore.

Making sure that only one person is moving about at anyone time, because the boat didn't come with convenient passing places.

Having a bath that you can only get half of you wet at any one moment (if you want to get your head wet - you very nearly have to put your legs out of the window). Everything just take a little more thought.

I wouldn't swap it for the world, I have nature on my doorstep and the whole of the English countryside is my back garden. I make the choices now, instead of them being made for me - Life is Good!!!!! :lol:

Not leaving a trail of heart attack victims along the towpath.....

Having a bath that you can only get half of you wet at any one moment (if you want to get your head wet - you very nearly have to put your legs out of the window).

:lol:

Edited by US Marines

The thing I always take for granted NOW, on my boat is the view. (not saying its right mind)

Reading another topic I read how some one was a bit fed up somwhere of seeing fields forever in someplace, (sorry cant remember all the post)

Just shows you though how we soon settle in and take things like this for granted, and expect even better than fields.

Edited by Troll