is this unreasonable?

GUMPY

Featured Posts

rather concerned that in the topic "engine rules" it was highlighted that flexibility was allowed in the BW rules regarding running engines/generators and in this almost identical topic thats being ignored by the very people that pointed it out, strange.

rather concerned that in the topic "engine rules" it was highlighted that flexibility was allowed in the BW rules regarding running engines/generators and in this almost identical topic thats being ignored by the very people that pointed it out, strange.

Yes, flexibility is allowed in the rules.

The flexibility is clearly defined, in that if nobody is in earshot you can disregard the time limits.

Don't lets forget that consideration runs both ways...

"Would it be OK if I came and moored opposite you for a couple of weeks, and worked a late shift, getting back at 11pm, and ran my engine for two hours?" Yes it would, and should you have to to earn your crust that way then you'll see the other side of this argument.

So if I "earned my crust" as a rock musician and decided to practice my electric guitar at 1am every night moored next to you, after I came off a gig, you would have no problem with that? Bow Locks I say.

Wherever one lives there are actual and implied rules. If you don't like the heat stay out of the kitchen rather than ruining the cooking for everyone else.

Chris

Don't lets forget that consideration runs both ways...

So if I "earned my crust" as a rock musician and decided to practice my electric guitar at 1am every night moored next to you, after I came off a gig, you would have no problem with that? Bow Locks I say.

Wherever one lives there are actual and implied rules. If you don't like the heat stay out of the kitchen rather than ruining the cooking for everyone else.

Chris

Is that from a liveaboard perspective or an idealist's?

Ever come home from work to discover something's jammed behind the fridge door leaving it open just a crack and the batteries are dead? Dilemma... do you a) comply at the expense of your batteries or :lol: make the pain as little as possible and just get on with rectifying the situation, even if it takes til 11pm?

Chris you take an extreme to try and undermine a much less drastic situation. As I am sure you are aware there are "implied rules", or shall we call them "terms" which will oft undermine or amend stated contractual rules, it is within these that we operate. (I do speak from a Housing Law point of view so if youknow better contractual law feel free...)

When the need arose people were warned wherever possible and had the opportunity of being elsewhere. In practice, apart from one notable exception, poeple lived with it. The notable exception had a chip due to a person who, unlike us who are actually as efficient as possible and have spent quite a lot of money getting that way, was running on an entirely 240 boat powered mainly off a 240 alternator running til all hours, oft falling asleep 'til 2/3am. Now that's where I would agree that it becomes unreasonable, however in the cold practicality of life occasionally, such as when unexpected commitments arise rules must be treated in an arbitrary manner, and that is exactly what happened here.

I wonder whether anyone here has looked for a 7am start just to get a long day out of the way. That kind of rude awakening is to my mind considerably more distressing than a late runner. However I don't grumble as I'm well aware that it's a long day down the flight and, as long as they don't disturb the Archers, I'm happy.

I'd love to continue this but I'm off to Church and won't be back 'til Sunday.

Tara.

When the need arose people were warned wherever possible and had the opportunity of being elsewhere.

Oh, well that's clearly OK then.

Anybody mooring near you is warned in advance that you don't intend to comply with the rules and has the option of buggering off elsewhere.

No, no, no.

That won't do.

If he wants to moor there, he can, and you should comply with the rules.

I have to admit that we occasionally need to run the generator at unsociable hours while we are on our mooring at Cropredy. This is largely because our slow running engine will not always fully charge the batteries during a short cruise or by running the engine for a few hours off-load. So the batteries can become discharged to the extent that we need more power to run the TV etc in the evening.

Nevertheless, we are on a dedicated mooring, away from residential properties, we do use a quiet Honda generator and we have a mutual agreement with the only other occupied boat on the mooring - we don't mind when he runs his and he doesn't mind when we run ours.

At the end of the day, proper consideration for others and co-operation with any nearby neighbours, is all that is necessary.

Chris

I think I'd knock on the door and suggest that a "live and unplugged" version of what you were playing would be simply fantastic.

I have to admit that we occasionally need to run the generator at unsociable hours while we are on our mooring at Cropredy. This is largely because our slow running engine will not always fully charge the batteries during a short cruise or by running the engine for a few hours off-load. So the batteries can become discharged to the extent that we need more power to run the TV etc in the evening.

Nevertheless, we are on a dedicated mooring, away from residential properties, we do use a quiet Honda generator and we have a mutual agreement with the only other occupied boat on the mooring - we don't mind when he runs his and he doesn't mind when we run ours.

At the end of the day, proper consideration for others and co-operation with any nearby neighbours, is all that is necessary.

Where there is a mutual agreement between all occupied boats on a mooring, and there are no visiting boats in the neighbourhood, fine.

If, however, somebody ties up for the night in earshot of your mooring, I would expect you to refrain from running the engine.

I would dispute your sentence "we need more power to run the TV etc in the evening", as it presupposes that you need to run the TV in the evening.

I have on occasion run my quiet Honda generator past the 8pm deadline, but only when I though there were no occupants in boats (or houses) within earshot, and even then I went outside to stand by their boat to check on my noise levels. Once when I wasn't sure whether the person in the next boat could hear or not I gave them a knock to ask, and that's the key really - if you want to use the flexibility in the 8pm - 8pm rules then be considerate and go and ask if they can hear it and whether it's affecting their TV picture, etc. Don't make them come to you to complain!

Where there is a mutual agreement between all occupied boats on a mooring, and there are no visiting boats in the neighbourhood, fine.

If, however, somebody ties up for the night in earshot of your mooring, I would expect you to refrain from running the engine.

I would dispute your sentence "we need more power to run the TV etc in the evening", as it presupposes that you need to run the TV in the evening.

Agree totally. If there's no power for the TV, and you have to run a genny to get it, why should it be acceptable to disturb anyone else? As someone else has said, it's no excuse to make your problem somebody else's as well. By all means ask first, but don't be surprised or offended by an insistence to keep the rules.

Having said that, I'd be happy if I knew in advance when the noise was going to stop. IIUC, that's the thinking behind BW's wording.

(edited to counteract the effect of fat fingers)

Edited by Machpoint005

Ever come home from work to discover something's jammed behind the fridge door leaving it open just a crack and the batteries are dead? Dilemma... do you a) comply at the expense of your batteries or :lol: make the pain as little as possible and just get on with rectifying the situation, even if it takes til 11pm?

errr...... actually yes (or equivalent) and yes and no.

Nothing's that important that it won't wait until morning.

One of the major reasons i live on a boat is that the quiet at night is deep and I wouldn't disturb my own peace, let alone anyone else's.

and i am a livaboard with no grid connection.

I've always assumed that, if I can't hear the generator, running on the bank, next to my boat, then no'one else can.

That may, or may not, be true.

Different people hear differently, and what you simply cannot hear may be a continual drone to other people

That's why I can't hear the "Mosquito", but yoof can.

We once moored at the next bridge towards Banbury from Cropredy Mill when we were working at the festival as it was out of the way and had piling so we could chain our boat up and trust it was not going to run away whilst we were working....anyhow this time it meant we were quite close to another boat....well about 25m!! he was all on his own and I must admit when i am tied up all alone I get a bit miffed when a boat ties up nearby....anyway hen then came over and just as I was about to get all defensive about why we had moored there....he said he hoped we didnt mind but he was going to run his engine so that he could do his washing.....I was so taken aback as it was after all me who had moored near him.......restored my faith in the nature of the Cut!

Gareth

The simple legal solution to the problem of needing to charge your batteries / heat your water outside of hours is to go for a little cruise. It is a boat after-all, not a static caravan!

In the real world, going "for a little cruise" at 9:30 pm (however enjoyable) just because the inverter has started whistling with a low voltage warning (and I want to watch the end of a thriller that I am enjoying on the television) is not all that practical.

I know that there are people out there who do not watch television (for a long time we didn't either) but for most of the year our boat is our home and we like to enjoy normal and commonly expected home comforts.

Our neighbours often run their engine early in the morning because it provides hot water and the current for the heating system - we understand and tolerate this in the same way as they understand and tolerate our requirements. For all that, it is a lot quieter on the towpath beside our mooring at Cropredy than in many urban housing estates - live and let live and we shall all get along fine . . .

Horrible things..

product.jpeg

Just looking at the picture they're not that difficult to sabotage, kind of initiative test for da yoof.

Catapult and a load of sticky stuff would be my first attempt.

I think a bit of rousing classical music would be kinder maybe that's the answer to the generator babies too. 1812 overture through a couple of kW anyone?

I know that there are people out there who do not watch television (for a long time we didn't either) but for most of the year our boat is our home and we like to enjoy normal and commonly expected home comforts.

How on earth do they know which washing up liquid to buy?

In the real world, going "for a little cruise" at 9:30 pm (however enjoyable) just because the inverter has started whistling with a low voltage warning (and I want to watch the end of a thriller that I am enjoying on the television) is not all that practical.

Our neighbours often run their engine early in the morning because it provides hot water and the current for the heating system - we understand and tolerate this in the same way as they understand and tolerate our requirements. For all that, it is a lot quieter on the towpath beside our mooring at Cropredy than in many urban housing estates - live and let live and we shall all get along fine . . .

The point that I'm making is that whilst you (or I) may WANT to watch something on TV (or DVD), it is not a NEED.

So, you do need to remember that running your engine, to satisfy your wants, and to make your evening more pleasant may well be making somebody elses evening less pleasant.

I often get annoyed when those genis go on around 8pm. A few times civilized types have come and said it will only be on for an hour - great then we know. It's the ones who arrive, moor, start geni, go in - this normally being on a warm night when we wnat to be outside. If I join a boat moored already it's my problem but if they join me - especially in the middle of nowwhere -I wish evil things might happen to their noisy machine.

Sometimes it does. At one country mooring we were all alone in a canal with loads of empty similar moorings when along comes chummy at speed. He gets half past, slams on the reverse and then pulls 20' away from us at 7-45. By 8 he's moored to pins and out comes the geni.

But it won't start. For a half hour he tries as we sit praying it stays broke - which it does. Then, as it gets dark he puts the geni on the boat, starts the engine unmoors and leaves! Next day we pass his boat moored above the next lock on a marked linear mooring, plugged into the electrics with chummy obviously gone off home.

The point that I'm making is that whilst you (or I) may WANT to watch something on TV (or DVD), it is not a NEED.

So, you do need to remember that running your engine, to satisfy your wants, and to make your evening more pleasant may well be making somebody elses evening less pleasant.

And the point I have been making is that we wouldn't do it if it was "making somebody elses evening less pleasant" but given that the only people around are running there own engine/generator what is the problem?