Selling stuff from towpath - legal?

benjamino

Featured Posts

Your next decision is on the type of licence. If you intend to use the boat commercially, you need a business licence. Otherwise a standard licence is sufficient.

From this page: http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/license-...uying-a-licence

I expect also if the punters customers were to step on to the boat 'public liability' insurance would be required.

Edited by bottle

From this page: http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/license-...uying-a-licence

I expect also if the punters customers were to step on to the boat 'public liability' insurance would be required.

Hmm... would selling from the towpath be considered commercial use of the boat? What if some random photographer stood in front of your boat selling photos, is he using the boat commercially?

You may want to seek legal advice about this one as I think you're on the edge of several situations

Thanks for all the info. Giles, where do you get a low intensity trading license? As you say its probably not really necessary but would be interested to read about it.

Benjamino, We bought them through BW Watford so suggest you try ringing the license department. I don't think that I said that it was not necessary - just that we were never asked for it. (Suggesting license evasion after seeing the size of the thread discussing reporting the unlicensed would be madness - you could never get away with it!)

Cheers Giles.

Personally if it just a 'hobby' type of business - for example someone who enjoyed photo framing for the craft side of things rather than a fully blown business then getting a licence might make it unviable. For example my mum who's retired breeds Cockateils. The money she makes just pays for the hobby and the local bird club that she also runs so technically its not a 'business' but just a hobby thats gone mad.

I suppose the question is where do you draw the line. Pin money for a few pints down the pub is one thing a fully fledged business is another. :lol:

Edited by bag 'o' bones

I have had this out with bw and they say you have to be a registerd trader and have a bw buisness licence to conduct any buisness from you boat. although if you trade from lets say a van and dont obstruct the towpath you dont have to have any licence.

Ever time i critisize bw i seemed to get jumped on but it does seem rather negative were ther eithos is to encourage canal buisness but seem to put obsticals in the way of doing that

12 years ago I asked the local BWB Manager if I needed to get a licence to sell plants from my boat. He said as long as I did not earn over £25,000 pa there was no need to get a licence and that he would send me a letter of dispensation.

A couple of years ago, I phoned Watford as I needed a gold licence and at the same time asked if I needed a low intensity licence to sell my plants. The lady replied, if your only selling a few plants from the roof of your boat, I would'nt bother.

Hope this helps,

Wendy

12 years ago I asked the local BWB Manager if I needed to get a licence to sell plants from my boat. He said as long as I did not earn over £25,000 pa there was no need to get a licence and that he would send me a letter of dispensation.

A couple of years ago, I phoned Watford as I needed a gold licence and at the same time asked if I needed a low intensity licence to sell my plants. The lady replied, if your only selling a few plants from the roof of your boat, I would'nt bother.

Hope this helps,

Wendy

Sounds totally reasonable. I do like it when someone official talks a bit of sense!

What's the deal with selling stuff to the public from a boat moored on the towpath? I have some photo prints I think might sell to tourists etc but don't want to get in trouble if its a big no-no. Can anyone clarify?

Do we think BW would turn a blind eye to stuff being sold to raise money for a registered charity?

At worst they would ask you to stop if they didn't like it. Chances are they would only take an interest if someone complained.

And if you don't actually see or hear it for yourself, you can always follow the lead provided by a national newspaper and complain weeks later and demand serious retribution against the persons concerned.

We used to buy a low intensity trading license when we were on BW waters - cost £50. We were never asked to produce it and doubt that you would be unless you set yourself up in a prime site and outstayed your welcome.

Giles

Does this low intensity tradiing license still exist? Doesn't seem to exist on the BW licensing page and Googling doesn't turn up anything.

This is a bit like the TV licence debate, basically un-inforcable so sell what you like when you like as long as it's not stolen goods or contraband LOL

Also I note that some boaters advertise their services on their boats, mechanics: carpenters: marine engineers etc, we'll be doing the same when we're on the water, selling stuff and offering services, there's nothing to stop us doing this as far as I'm aware, and even if some law or bylaw was being breached, again it's un-inforcable.

Happy days :lol: