Caldon canal

jollyroger

Featured Posts

We did the Caldon last year - the first part of it was very unappealling and we had to keep going until quite late before we found anywhere we were happy mooring overnight. I suggest that you time you trip so that you turn onto the Caldon early in the day.

Once you get past the first part the rest of it was very pleasant and we found perhaps our favourite mooring of a whole fortnight's trip. There is a detailed log on the old forum at this link Llangolen & Caldon Canals in two weeks

We did the Caldon last year - the first part of it was very unappealling and we had to keep going until quite late before we found anywhere we were happy mooring overnight. I suggest that you time you trip so that you turn onto the Caldon early in the day.

Once you get past the first part the rest of it was very pleasant and we found perhaps our favourite mooring of a whole fortnight's trip. There is a detailed log on the old forum at this link Llangolen & Caldon Canals in two weeks

22851[/snapback]

[/quote

Thanks, interesting reading

Its a while since we were there but are expecting to go later this year. It's as fine a canal as any in the country and even the first part has interesting industrial archeology, although we wouldn't want to moor there.

Hope you enjoy it

Arthur

Make sure you do both branches at the end; the Leek branch is very good and feels quite remote in parts. The Froghall stretch is also very picturesque, especially the bit on the River Churnet. The lower basin at Froghall is now flooded, but you have to go through the tunnel which is still very tight, even though they have dropped the water level a bit. Stop before the winding hole and go and have a look at the tunnel before committing yourself to it.

Allow yourself a couple of hours to clear Stoke before mooring up for the night. Some guides suggest that the park near the start is a good overnight mooring, but I wouldn't stop there.

Visit the Cheddleton Flint mill if it is open, Also the churnet valley railway is worth a look. I've not been in the flint mill on the junction, but that looks interesting too.