BIG IDEA, what do you think ?

onionbargee

Featured Posts

All very well till the environmental lobby want the boats chucked off for disturbing the wildlife.

Wasn't it the Pocklington canal where restoration/navigation has been delayed for this very reason.

In the same area the storm drains were left uncleared to avoid disturbing the great crested newts (or similar).

A bloke in a subsequently flooded village was quoted as saying "Well I hope they are now happy in my living room"

Yes the pocklington and also the River Derwent

Howard

I think you will find that the Norfolk Broads is a S.S.S.I. ( Site of Special Scientific Interest ) :lol:

Not according to MAGIC, which I have always taken as the definitive land-use map for England. It shows, unsurprisingly, a great number of SSSIs in the Broads, but the whole Broads could not be classified as such.

However, the entire Broads network is classified as National Park, confirmed in March 1988. When you click on the link, it takes you to the Natural England page for The Broads. The very first paragraph states "England's very special wetland, The Broads, is a National Park in every sense except name. Designated under its own Act of Parliament in 1989 this atmospheric landscape is a firm favourite for boating holidays and is still one of England's finest wildlife areas."

Errrrr....so it's not a National Park.

Interestingly, the blurb talks more about "boating" referring only to sail power, electric power and solar power. It conveniently ignores the internal combustion engine as a source of power. This 'feels' like politically-correct marketing rather than a balanced perspective.

My bet is that over time there will be 'regulation creep' to slowly edge out powered boats altogether. Nothing substantial at any one time, but bit by bit.

No. I do not want the main canal system treated this way. And I am tempted to join any NGO or society that stops this creeping nationalparkisation.