Bloody Yorkshire

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Was rung up last week by a friend asking if I fancied a weekend on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal this weekend just gone and never having knowingly turned down a chance of boating I accepted.

Thinking, a trip over the Pennines in October, better pack thermals, lined trousers and all the waterproof gear , hats and gloves I own.

A late night five hour drive to Skipton didn't put me in the best of moods but determined to make the best of my good planning I got up Saturday morning, put on three layers of clothing and went out to steer, what happened, two of the most gloious days days boating I've done this year.

Spent the first couple of locks taking off the outer layers of clothing cursing the fact that I'd not bought shorts!. Went the best part of the way to Burnley and back - what a stunningly beautiful canal this is. The photo gives an indication of the conditions:

104520637.jpg

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Was rung up last week by a friend asking if I fancied a weekend on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal this weekend just gone and never having knowingly turned down a chance of boating I accepted.

Thinking, a trip over the Pennines in October, better pack thermals, lined trousers and all the waterproof gear , hats and gloves I own.

A late night five hour drive to Skipton didn't put me in the best of moods but determined to make the best of my good planning I got up Saturday morning, put on three layers of clothing and went out to steer, what happened, two of the most gloious days days boating I've done this year.

Spent the first couple of locks taking off the outer layers of clothing cursing the fact that I'd not bought shorts!. Went the best part of the way to Burnley and back - what a stunningly beautiful canal this is. The photo gives an indication of the conditions:

Tim

It is indeed - I remain puzzled as to why droves of people head for the Llangollen to queue at locks when the L&L is so stunning.

Glad you enjoyed.

Same thing happened to us on the Rochdale.

Where planning on heading towards Leeds, but where advised by the people at shire cruisers that due to all the rain with more forecast for the next day that it would be better to go up the Rochdale.

Within 5 minutes of coming out of the tuel lock the heavens opened.

Got up Sunday morning ready for another wet day but ended up with a bautiful week, but oh those locks on the Rochdale BW really need to get their act together.

Those not vandalised where poorly maintained between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden, gave up at Todmorden and went down to Brighouse instead

Same thing happened to us on the Rochdale.

Where planning on heading towards Leeds, but where advised by the people at shire cruisers that due to all the rain with more forecast for the next day that it would be better to go up the Rochdale.

Within 5 minutes of coming out of the tuel lock the heavens opened.

Got up Sunday morning ready for another wet day but ended up with a bautiful week, but oh those locks on the Rochdale BW really need to get their act together.

Those not vandalised where poorly maintained between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden, gave up at Todmorden and went down to Brighouse instead

If you think they are heavy you should try the ones further on.. But seriously they are deep wide locks, they will never be light to use regardless of the standard of maintenance..

If you think they are heavy you should try the ones further on.. But seriously they are deep wide locks, they will never be light to use regardless of the standard of maintenance..

Got to be honest though, enjoyed them as hard as they are, love doing locks.

So if anyones cruising in the NorthWest and wants a hand locking you know who to ask LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

i think even the stretch from leeds to bingley is pretty good, lots of wooded bits coming out of Leeds, and if you like industrial architecture you're in heaven at saltaire. Then above bingley it just gets more and more lovely including my favourite bit above sildsden. Then past skipton its paradise as you say.

This pic was on easter day 2008 at gargrave

oakmoon.jpeg

Edited by Matthew Dowson

• 3 weeks later...
Last time I saw that bridge from a boat, we were heading towards it, with another boat approaching from the opposite direction, just as we managed to get a carpet wrapped round the prop.....

Janet

A carpet??? I can't believe some people sometimes, the canal isn't a dumping ground!!! :lol:

• 2 months later...

104520637.jpg

Tim

As a matter of interest (to me at least) there is an article about this trip in the latest (March) edition of 'Canal Boat' magazine - I am the one in the hat!

Tim