10 days to decide!

newbird

Featured Posts

Thanks for that.

And if that's the case, why not say its for a boat and not "a car?" or am I really being thick?

When you mention borrowing, for something the bank person doesn't understand, the eyes glaze over. But everybody's got a car (almost) so the bank person doesn't think you're weird.

A friend of mine went in to the same bank three times, for a boat (refused), a kitchen (approved, but they asked for progress reports) and a car (kerching).

He bought his boat.

Also the boat does appear to have a name:

From Jim Shead:

ISAMBARD Built by NICHOLS OF YORK - Length 13.42 metres (44 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) Metal hull power of 30. Registered with British Waterways number 75913 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19-Apr-08

It is the only NICHOLS OF YORK boat listed.

Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for this. I have just recently discovered these details myself - quite reassuring it does have a history! Its nice to think your all looking out for me! xx

Just an update everyone, and thanks for all your advice. I decided to go with a full survey even though the hull seems sound, for peace of mind really. So survey booked for Monday! Deposit paid subject to survey and moorings guaranteed. Fingers crossed xxxx

And if that's the case, why not say its for a boat and not "a car?" or am I really being thick?

I was advised by 2 people not to say its for a boat. Something to do with sailing off with the money/change of address etc (my banking/postal address will remain at my parents)

Just an update everyone, and thanks for all your advice. I decided to go with a full survey even though the hull seems sound, for peace of mind really. So survey booked for Monday! Deposit paid subject to survey and moorings guaranteed. Fingers crossed xxxx

So today is survey day - hope it all goes well . . .

So today is survey day - hope it all goes well . . .

Survey report should be in post on Fri but spoke with the surveyor and its basically a sound boat with lots of little problems (most of which I'm aware of) so fingers crossed I can get it for the right price. :lol::lol:

Newbird, you've gone all quiet. Has the surveyor not yet reported back to you, or has he sent such a damning report that it has put you off?

Following this post has been most nostalgic for me (and I suspect for other members as well) as it takes me back to the anxiety and excitement of buying my first boat. Mrs. Athy and I bought 'Octavia' from Whilton Marina just about ten years ago this week. My late parents thought we were mad. If they could see us now, on our third boat, they would be quite sure we were mad! There is a hole in the cut where you pour the money in, but somehow it always seems worth it.

Hi newbird,

The problem for me is it all sound a bit contrived.

There is not enough distance between the 'broker', the 'boatyard or marina' and the 'seller'.

I suspect they are all one and the same. And they just happen to have a survey done? Why?

Get your own independent survey done. It's the only way you can be sure.

Oh and good luck!

tugstyle

I'm not in a position to think about buying a boat yet so don't know much about the process.

But you have just said exactly what I was thinking

Newbird, you've gone all quiet. Has the surveyor not yet reported back to you, or has he sent such a damning report that it has put you off?

Following this post has been most nostalgic for me (and I suspect for other members as well) as it takes me back to the anxiety and excitement of buying my first boat. Mrs. Athy and I bought 'Octavia' from Whilton Marina just about ten years ago this week. My late parents thought we were mad. If they could see us now, on our third boat, they would be quite sure we were mad! There is a hole in the cut where you pour the money in, but somehow it always seems worth it.

newbird is very busy clearing out clutter ready to move on board next week i believe

newbird is very busy clearing out clutter ready to move on board next week i believe

Very true matey!!! Sorry all, been on 3 12 hour day shifts after signing the deal on Monday!!! The survey was good and everthing that was recommended that needed doing is being done by the brokers plus I managed to get a new cooker in with the price! I'm so glad I had the survey done as there were lots of niggly things that I wouldn't have been aware of (external gas leak/slight fuel leak/no gauze over water tank etc) I'm getting new toilet, shower, sink, shower tray, stern and cratch covers plus lots of other bits - oh new stove.I'm very very happy and should move in in a few weeks. I'm calling it Yesnaby if you see me around - its a set of breathtaking cliffs in Orkney if any of you have been?? Once I'm aboard I won't have a computer but will try and save for a laptop. I'm so excited but slightly worried I'm cold at home with the heating on. lol!! Thanks again for all your interest. xxxxx :lol::lol::lol::lol:;);):o:)

you need to dry dock to change the name and walk round the boat 3 times chanting the new name otherwise its bad luck to change the name :lol: :lol: oh and my niece moves on to her boat tomorrow as well you maybe neighbours

you need to dry dock to change the name and walk round the boat 3 times chanting the new name otherwise its bad luck to change the name

I thought I might just let the brokers paint it on for free (or should I say in the price??) and then get drunk? :lol::lol::lol::lol: . I'm down there tomorrow to look at sign writing samples! Good luck to her - pontoon c you say? x

Very true matey!!! Sorry all, been on 3 12 hour day shifts after signing the deal on Monday!!! The survey was good and everthing that was recommended that needed doing is being done by the brokers plus I managed to get a new cooker in with the price! I'm so glad I had the survey done as there were lots of niggly things that I wouldn't have been aware of (external gas leak/slight fuel leak/no gauze over water tank etc) I'm getting new toilet, shower, sink, shower tray, stern and cratch covers plus lots of other bits - oh new stove.I'm very very happy and should move in in a few weeks. I'm calling it Yesnaby if you see me around - its a set of breathtaking cliffs in Orkney if any of you have been?? Once I'm aboard I won't have a computer but will try and save for a laptop. I'm so excited but slightly worried I'm cold at home with the heating on. lol!! Thanks again for all your interest. xxxxx :lol::lol::lol::lol:;);):o:)

Good luck, try to keep us updated until you are finally computer-less

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, this really is my last day as a landy. Move on to boat tomorrow! Ive changed the name and I'm now definitely calling it Spikeybelle. My grandad has always been known as spike and my mamma is called Bella, and maybe Spikeybelle says a bit about me as well!!lol. Yes I will use my local library and really I should have thought about that, having an MA in Library and Information Studies and was a Librarian for a few years (gave it up, got bored and the money was crap - but libraries are great!). So thanks all again and I hope to say hi again before I'm in some sort of crisis and need all your advise!!

Cheerio. xxx :lol::lol::lol::lol: