slowing Down For fishermen

Glennbrown

Featured Posts

Common courtesy, ever heard of it?

I agree and mostly boaters and fishermen rub along together.

There was one occasion where a fisherman had obviously split his cornflakes at breakfast or more likely had caught nothing and decided to take it out on me with a stream of invective. There were two young children (my own) on the back deck at the time so I proceeded to do an emergency stop causing the canal to boil just in front of where he was fishing, having stopped and put the lever into neutral, I apologised to him, pointing out that it was difficult to hear over the engine noise and asking him what it was he said. He became apoplectic and started to swear again, I pointed out that there were children present and felt no qualm about applying full speed forward to put as much distance as possible between the foul mouthed individual and my boat

5th

You should try having someone lock wheel for you on a bike with bad brakes......when they and you meet a fishing match at the same time the results are good fun as the push their rods through the hedge......personally I think fishing should be banned as its as cruel as hunting so i quite enjoy chugging through a match with a deep drafted boat....even more fun is seeing ow quick they can move their keep nets when they are fishing from the lock bollard that you need to come in on!!!

Cheers

Gareth

PS throw bait at my boat and you will see how good my shot is back!

......personally I think fishing should be banned as its as cruel as hunting

Of course you are welcome to your opinion, but in the realms of fairness I think you should include letting pet cats out to hunt at night decimating bird populations and causing death and distruction in the mouse/rodent population and how about driving cars, I pass many incidents of road kill every day including deer, badgers, foxes, pheasants and many other wild animals dead on the road and that's not including the ones that are ony injured and hobble off into the hedgerow to die, perhaps cats and cars should be included your list of cruel things to be banned. And how about the publics need for fish to eat, trawlers can cause more pain and suffering to fish on one trip than thousands of anglers are able to achieve in their lifetimes or farmers with their insecticides and fertilisers releasing chemicals into our water and food sources that we will be recycling for many years to come.

It's a cruel world we live in & I feel caring responsible anglers should a long way from the top of things to be banned. Just my opinion of course :lol:

Paul

personally I think fishing should be banned as its as cruel as hunting

I think the number of fish that have been spared death or suffering, due to anglers campaigning for cleaner waters, better commercial fishing practices, reporting pollution spills and, indeed, better care of the fish that they try to catch far outweighs the few accidents that may result in the death or injury of a fish caught on rod and line.

I, along with quite a few others still class fishing as a blood sport.....personally I think its worse than shooting due to the fact that the fish are caught for no purpose other than to be thrown back....it may be slightly more forgivable if the fish were caught for food.

Oh and remember that canals were built for boats.....if you have to fish then go and do it on a lake rather than complain that boats keep going past!!

Gareth

I, along with quite a few others still class fishing as a blood sport.....personally I think its worse than shooting due to the fact that the fish are caught for no purpose other than to be thrown back....it may be slightly more forgivable if the fish were caught for food.

Oh and remember that canals were built for boats.....if you have to fish then go and do it on a lake rather than complain that boats keep going past!!

Gareth

IME most anglers don't worry too much about consideratly(?) steered boats in the inconsiderate twots in both camps that can cause friction and believe me there are some very ignorant boaters about, strangly enough they are as common as ignorant fisherman.

Blood sport mmm i'm not so sure about that but then again you're entitled to your opinion. I've had contact (through fishing) with many anti bloodsport campaigners, although their hearts are mostly in the right places and I do admire their willingness to legally protest, I think they are barking up the wrong tree with fishing. An unwillingness to listen to anybody elses views being a common negative issue amongst the ones i've met. Anglers are mostly very pro conservation and fish welfare has been a consistantly evolving side to the pastime both in club rule books and with the angling trade.

Edited by GSer

Fox hunting is more of a sport than fishing.

Wheres the sport on sitting on the bank next to your 'trap' waiting for some dumb animal to swim along and 'spring it'.

And fishing seem to be the favourite sport of all dole bludgers and chavs. On numerous occasions I've seen them start throwing stones and stuff at moored boats, probably due to boredom.

I'm not campaigning to ban anything though (except mindless chavs!)

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

Fox hunting is more of a sport than fishing.

Fox hunting was banned, I think, mainly because rich and upper class people were perceived to be the ones doing it. Angling tends to be the preserve of the less well off. A RAUCP would go fly-fishing instead.

Wheres the sport on sitting on the bank next to your 'trap' waiting for some dumb animal to swim along and 'spring it'.

Your failure to understand the attraction is no reason to decry the pastimes of others.

And fishing seem to be the favourite sport of all dole bludgers and chavs.

Have you any concrete evidence to support your assertion? Folk fishing during the day might be on night shift, have a day off, be self-employed, or have any number of other valid reasons for being there. If I were going fishing (I don't, in point of fact) I would hardly wear my three-piece suit, and may well look like a dole bludger (whatever that may be) to bystanders.

On numerous occasions I've seen them start throwing stones and stuff at moored boats, probably due to boredom.

How do you know it was due to [sic] boredom?

I'm not campaigning to ban anything though (except mindless chavs!)

How do you propose to do that? Euthanasia?

Come on, let's have a bit of tolerance here, please....

How do you know it was due to [sic] boredom?

What's with the sic? I can't see anythng wrong with the phrase?

Even if boredom was the cause, the throwing was owing to boredom, not due to it.

Try replacing the phrase...

Due to = caused by

Owing to = because of

A rather laboured grammatical point, maybe, but nevertheless correct.

and [sic] in this usage (Latin: thus) means that text that was incorrect on its first appearance has been faithfully reproduced.

Even if boredom was the cause, the throwing was owing to boredom, not due to it.

Try replacing the phrase...

Due to = caused by

Owing to = because of

A rather laboured grammatical point, maybe, but nevertheless correct.

and [sic] in this usage (Latin: thus) means that text that was incorrect on its first appearance has been faithfully reproduced.

I'll accept the stuff in bold but struggle with the underlined bit. :lol:

we use quotes in the 21st century!!! do you know what century it is? :lol:

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

• 9 months later...
I would hardly wear my three-piece suit
Fair point, would you wear a white tracksuit and pink NY baseball cap though? Maybe bring 24 cans of stella and some pot noodles and leave the empties on the bank.

It aint that hard to spot a chav.

I'll always slow down for the fishermen on the bank.. well I don't go very fast to start with.. but I did get caught a few years ago on the K&A.

Going down a line of fishermen just east of Bedwyn, you know the ones with long poles.. well they leave it to the very last minute don't they.. but this one left if past the last second and his line got caught round No Problem's front fender. I did what I could and put maximum force into reversing, which worked well beings I was going slow anyway.. but no he wouldn't wait for me to go down the gunnel to untangle and retrieve his line and hook, he yanked and yanked until this blasted pole made the line snaped with the force of that the pole catapulted straight at me on the stern, catching me right across the neck and knocking me backwards.. thank goodness not off the boat though..

Not one word of "sorry".. just some mumbling under his breath.. :lol:

Now if I see one of these polers late on the uptake I do tend to give a blast on the horn, which annoys the 'we know when to take our rod out' brigade, buy hey I wouldn't want to get another pain in the neck! :lol:

Oh yes we know that one very well as my wife and I travel to and from work/shops etc in dinghies and this on a very busy river some 40 or 50 metres wide , now yes we do if possible avoid poles rods and lines (traffic does not always allow) but what really gets us is when they start shouting and swearing because they are ledgering on the opposite bank, if the fish cannot see the line how the hell are we oldies with failing eyesight supposed to spot till it's rapped around us or the dinghy or prop. Beats me why the fish are always on the other side. The fact is all my mates who fish here do so under their feet so to speak with great success.

We made a good catch on Saturday on the way to Torksey. We caught a nice looking pike lure around 10m of line and half of a pike rod. The man stuck to the other end made some funny hand gestures but i forgot to read what they mean so am still none the wiser :lol:

Well, for what it's worth, I've never had a problem with fishermen. When cruising past competitions, we hold our own competition on board. I sit one child at the bow, one in the middle and one at the stern with the strict instructions to chat to every fisherman they pass...Two points for a grunt....five for a smile...and ten points for a conversation! As we pass, each fisherman gets three attempts at a conversation. I've never run into any of those long poles...considering they cost thousands, I can see why they're moved out of the way!

My moan will always continue to be about those 'amateur working boatmen' Grrrrrr!

Thats the first one we have snared. He was however a novice i believe who had walked away from his rod then attempted to sprint back in time to retrieve it from the water. I dont suspect he will do that again in a hurry.

The match fishermen are a little more careful with their gear.

When cruising through a fishing competition, I always think of those 'military' style weddings where the guns raise as the bride n groom walk past - It's like some sort of slow motion mexican wave as all that carbon fibre tubing slowly raises and falls!

I can't understand the lure of fishing meself! Tried some sea fishing once but that was so we could eat the results!

To each their own I guess!

A x