slowing Down For fishermen

Glennbrown

Featured Posts

From the anglers viewpoint a boat going through at full steam ahead can stir up the bottom silt and spoil the care with which they have ground baited their "swim" to attract the fish. A boat going through at a slower speed avoiding where they are actually fishing (normally the far bank so straight down the middle slowly is good) will lessen the effect and can sometimes encourage fish feeding by gently stirring things up a bit.

But I think also it just shows courtesy to another canal user and much more likely to attract a "good morning" and a smile rather than a shaken fist and a scowl.

From the anglers viewpoint a boat going through at full steam ahead can stir up the bottom silt and spoil the care with which they have ground baited their "swim" to attract the fish. A boat going through at a slower speed avoiding where they are actually fishing (normally the far bank so straight down the middle slowly is good) will lessen the effect and can sometimes encourage fish feeding by gently stirring things up a bit.

But I think also it just shows courtesy to another canal user and much more likely to attract a "good morning" and a smile rather than a shaken fist and a scowl.

I quite agree. As I used to fish myself, I know what it's like to have both considerate and inconsiderate boat users go past me - believe me it really makes a difference.

Its just amazing how many fishermen you pass (who pull in their rods 5 ft from the front of the boat),

will twidle with their maggots and will in fact do anything not to have to look at you or say hello !

I say war on fishermen !!!!

Edited by Glennbrown

:lol:

yes kill fishermen!

Oh seems a bit harsh old chap?

Why not engage in the time-honoured sport of angler jousting! Or Jangling in the mother tongue don't ya know!

For the uninitiated it is a simple concept activity but must be executed with great skill.

First rev your engine hard to get up to a wash breaking speed and with one hand on the tiller and the other with the 14ft pole under your arm guide your steed (boat) as close as possible (without going aground) to the towpath where said fisher folk are. I told you it wasn't easy. One point of order is that it is internationally considered bad to have any sharp instruments on the end of the pole. It just seems to antagonise them and is just poor form old man. Anyway back to the hunt! Aim your pole to strike the angler on the upper shoulder and watch him fall off his little stool. Keep the high revs up as you glide by and roar into the distance knowing your noble duty has been done and another strike closer to getting your handicap down. The Fisher folk take it all in good heart and will jump up and wave and shout encouragements as you go on your way.

I have never known quite what the folk shout as I am above such lowly creatures and their vernacular and besides I can't hear a thing over the din of my engine about to suck the diesel tank dry. What a noble sport!

Edited to add gratuitous smiley so folk know I am joking! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by churchward

I haven't met any horrid fisher men - yet. They don't have to be all smiley and wavey, maybe they are just trying to get away from it all, like us.

So why don't they? There are plenty of other bits of water to fish in rather than a canal.

Mike

So why don't they? There are plenty of other bits of water to fish in rather than a canal.

Mike

Its a safe convienient environment to fish in, also it is quite unlike fishing anywhere else. Fishing matches are popular on the cut so in turn anglers fish them to practice for the event.

I think it would be a good idea if boaters were restricted in their navigations at weekends perhaps a 10-3 no boat movement curfew, putting up with the boats when they were working was bad enough, now it's as if people are actually enjoying themselves, that will never do!

Paul

It makes you wonder whatever Telford, Jessop, Brindley and the rest of them were thinking of, allowing boats on to their nice new linear fisheries.

Natalie.

Aha ! - you see the fisherfolk are clever and waited until the aforementioned stalwarts were dead before half-inching the fruits of their labours for their own purposes.....! :lol:

Joking aside though - a number of boaters are fishermen too and, if there's room for everybody, why not live and let live ?

As for slowing down, if you're in a hurry, then you shouldn't be on a canal boat ! - its only polite and there are reasons (as discussed above)....

If you are on the K&A just below Fobney lock it gives the nice gentleman who fishes there time to present you with a gift, in my case a bag of maggots thrown onto the front deck. Amazing how far those things can crawl in a short space of time.

Ken

Well give him a present back without him noticing. Drop a bar of soap in his swim as you go past and as it slowly dissolves and by slowly I mean possibly a week depending on water temperature it will disperse the fish from that area without any harm to the fish themselves. You will have the last laugh knowing his favourite swim will be defunct of any fish and him sitting there without a chance for days.Damm ,its just occured to me that it is not so effective in flowing water but worth a try.