Bridgewater Heritage Boat Co

Liam

Featured Posts

There's a trip boat which runs out of both Worsley and Castlefield on the Bridgewater. Although it's had a load of work done to it over the years, some of which is not very original, you can still make out it's a Josher. It's obviously had a new back cabin which seems rather short and also it looks as though it's had a new counter. It's powered by an AS2 I believe.

What I'm wondering is... what boat is it? There's no name on the cabin side and I keep forgetting to check the Bridgewater license for a name to satisfy my curiosity - if that's the correct one as it could have been renamed.

Does anybody know more about it?

I am sure I have taken dozens of pics of this boat but I can only find one at the moment, which is only a shot of the bows, although there is this one I found via Google also - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/250031..._47407740e0.jpg and

bridgewater_josher.JPG

Hi Andy,

Absolutely no idea. I've been meaning to post a pic of it up here to see whether anybody knows but the bloke who owns it seems a decent enough guy so I'll try and have a chat with him next time I'm through that way.

Edited to add: Just checked your webiste Andy, and it says that it was cut down to 57ft but I'm pretty sure it's full length. It could be a converted butty though as the cabin isn't long enough for a motor and thats definately a "new" counter.

There's a trip boat which runs out of both Worsley and Castlefield on the Bridgewater. Although it's had a load of work done to it over the years, some of which is not very original, you can still make out it's a Josher. It's obviously had a new back cabin which seems rather short and also it looks as though it's had a new counter. It's powered by an AS2 I believe.

What I'm wondering is... what boat is it? There's no name on the cabin side and I keep forgetting to check the Bridgewater license for a name to satisfy my curiosity - if that's the correct one as it could have been renamed.

Does anybody know more about it?

I am sure I have taken dozens of pics of this boat but I can only find one at the moment, which is only a shot of the bows, although there is this one I found via Google also -

Purely by coincidence, I have just watched a TV series on a DVD entitled 'Locks & Quays', a Granada DVD from a set of programs broadcast in 2006. In episode nine the owner operator is David Rigby and his wife Jeanette. It's kitted out as a floating classroom, the owner proudly announcing it's a 100 year old Josher, but doesn't give the original name. The back end has a pronounce kick-up just like a steamer, but he doesn't mention 'steamer' at all. The present name on the cabin side is just 'Castlefield', and trips were taken between Castlefield and Worsley. An educational trip boat, a bit down at heel, but working - still? Unknown. The website on the side of the boat is of citycentrecruises.co.uk, but the pages do not give any more details of this particular boat - might have been a short term charter by them.

The series is presented by Fred Talbot, in an enthusiastic and almost naive way, but very varied and diverse. The concentration is on the North Western waterways; Liverpool to Wigan, The Ribble Link, and the Lancaster, and history is not left out. Alton is also featured along with the owner talking through the coal and diesel service he supplies with the boat.

I'll try and have a chat with him next time I'm through that way.

Give him a call now.... :lol:

Bridgewater Heritage Boat Company

Telephone 0161 796 5455

Contact Mr. David Rigby

Or email him.... daverigby - at - tesco dot net

Edited by Liam
Edited the email address to reduce spambots!

I'm in the Granada region but must have missed that one! D'oh! The boat is still working, although I think it does most of it's runs in and out of Castlefields now on match days but don't quote me on that one. It has attended a couple of FBCC rallies on the Bridgewater, usually taking the diggies out on a smal cruise.

City Centre Cruises run the trip boat L.S Lowry which is a restaraunt boat offering meals and has a bar on board for corporate events, stag do's etc and normally does runs on match days to Man Uniteds ground and also on to the Irwell / Ship Canal down into the Quays. I'm not sure why these are attached to the same website as I'm sure they're both completely different entities.

I will see if I can find the other pictures as I am sure I have at least a couple of pictures of the boat broadside which will give us a clue as to whether it was a steamer, with the kick up at the back end. There's no reason why I want to know, just being nosey and want to satisfy my curiousity.

I've received an email back from Dave, the owner of the boat in question... below is his reply...

Hi Liam

You are quite right about the boat it was originally a FMC butty built in 1906. We have never been able to verify it's original name as there were no identification marks when it was rescued. Built at yarwoods, it had the counter and engine fitted in the 70s by the Lorenz brothers and that time it was converted to a trip boat. It still has a composite hull. It originally worked the Midlands but other than that not much more is known about it. It has a Lister HA engine which was originally in an old wooden working boat called Westward Ho.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your interest, hope to be in Dry Dock in January if you would like a closer look

Cheers

I'm not sure how he knows what year it was built but didn't know any other info? I'm not doubting him as I obviously don't know the full history surrounding the boat, and no idea why I thought it was an AS2, it doesn't sound anything like a HA, but it is a twin cylinder I suppose.

Might pop down in Jan if I remember for a chat and a look over the boat :lol:

I've received an email back from Dave, the owner of the boat in question... below is his reply...

Hi Liam

You are quite right about the boat it was originally a FMC butty built in 1906. We have never been able to verify it's original name as there were no identification marks when it was rescued. Built at yarwoods, it had the counter and engine fitted in the 70s by the Lorenz brothers and that time it was converted to a trip boat. It still has a composite hull. It originally worked the Midlands but other than that not much more is known about it. It has a Lister HA engine which was originally in an old wooden working boat called Westward Ho.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your interest, hope to be in Dry Dock in January if you would like a closer look

Cheers

I'm not sure how he knows what year it was built but didn't know any other info? I'm not doubting him as I obviously don't know the full history surrounding the boat, and no idea why I thought it was an AS2, it doesn't sound anything like a HA, but it is a twin cylinder I suppose.

Might pop down in Jan if I remember for a chat and a look over the boat :lol:

A picture of the stern end would be nice if you could find one Liam as the picture I have of Atilla shows little or no rise to the counter and a completely different conversion. Atilla was indeed owned by the Lorenz Brothers but it was Malcolm Braine in 1971 who fitted the counter and converted it from a horseboat. As it is likely that it had spent some time as an anonymous joey or maintenance boat prior to this, the original name might be open to conjecture. If it is the Norway then it was not built by Yarwoods but by FMC themselves at Saltley in 1906. Yarwoods didn't get involved with FMC until much later (1923 IIRC) and didn't build any butties for them.

It surprising the tosh a lot of people tell you about the history of their boat!

Paul H

It could well be Norway then Liam, I have been known to be wrong on my site so dont quote me for the exact length. I seem to remember somewhere tho that it was cut/owned by Lorenz Bros, we used to own the stern of this boat if its one and the same renamed Norwind (our bit)

She was built in 1906 although at Saltley not Yarwoods.....did Yarwoods build butties? I didnt think they did.

Paul beat me to most of that.

Edited by AMModels

Hi Paul,

Thanks for telling me about Yarwoods not getting involved with FMC until much later and not building Butties... although it seems obvious now I didn't realise it before. Now to find pictures of it's bum... I'm sure I have some... I will find them!

For the time being, though, I've managed to find this on Google... not sure if it's of any help.

2500383314_e34c8e127f.jpg

If you have one from a bit further away I might be able to say if its similar to Norwinds, she had a very wide and short eliptical stern and does look quite similar. There was about 30ft of the stern used in Norwind so if the new stern on that boat is about that long it ties in a bit more.

I've looked and looked at all the canal and boat related piccies and I can't seem to find it anywhere. I am going to quadruple check though as I know I have some...

Sorry about that pic, not one of mine... It's an "arty" one which I nicked off Google :lol:

lol

Had another look and my 57' was the length of the fore end used in a full length motor operating as a tripper on the bridgewater, we had the rest (I thought it was longer) in our 40' Norwind. So subject to the disclaimers as Paul H stated I would say you have the fore end of Norway there.

Edited by AMModels

All,

The identity of the boat is a bit vague!

It isn't Norway as Atilla is still at Bedford Basin, Leigh.

There was much discussion at the time of 'Castlefield's' conversion. It came from Middlewich with a thought that is might be 'Gosport'.

When it was realised that it couldn't be Gosport it became known as 'Not Gosport' to we denizens of the yard. It was used on bridge contracts etc.

Not sure of the exact date of rebuild, late 70's early80's, but the swim uses the entire shape of the butty chines, which is why it goes so well.

I think somewhere I have some pics.

Tim

moored at Bedford

• 6 years later...

Hi all, I know this post is from a long time ago but I bought this boat earlier this year and I'm trying to find any leads to its original name and age, I have ruled out Gambia,Siberia etc and I'm not sure how the dating of the boat came about either as I am unable to find any date stamps or identifying marks, I've been through the list of composite butty's built and one that appears it could be is 'Durban' if anybody has any ideas or information please get in touch as I would love to find the real identity and give her back her real name, thanks in advance

The man who will know anything worth knowing is Mr Harrison; but I suspect that you'll have to join us in the ranks of motorised-butty owners who get to say "well she's one of (insert number here)" :lol:

Although I rather think she suits the name "Castlefield" :)

Hi all, I know this post is from a long time ago but I bought this boat earlier this year and I'm trying to find any leads to its original name and age, I have ruled out Gambia,Siberia etc and I'm not sure how the dating of the boat came about either as I am unable to find any date stamps or identifying marks, I've been through the list of composite butty's built and one that appears it could be is 'Durban' if anybody has any ideas or information please get in touch as I would love to find the real identity and give her back her real name, thanks in advance

I would say the first thing to do is establish exactly who built the original hull by comparing the fore end to other former F.M.C. Ltd. narrow boats. The next thing is to establish whether this hull was originally fitted with a fore cabin or not. This information will set us down the right road, but as far as DURBAN is concerned yes it is a possibility - along with loads of other possibilities captain.gif

Boats with a fore cabin, not sure how one could tell if it has been removed.

attachicon.gifTstudsBrentford1890s10Medium_zps330b985a.jpg

attachicon.gif10347801_647574921979306_3793079396078385246_n.jpg

The foredeck on such a boat is much shorter. Presumably a careful examination will show if the foredeck on a non fore cabin boat has been extended.

George ex nb Alton retired