Latest on Red Diesel

blackrose

Featured Posts

Just thought I'd clear something up as eco-friendliness goes.

When I personally refer to Biodiesel, I am talking about that made from used vegetable oils collected from restaurants, takeaways, chippies, fast food joints, etc.

When the gov't refer to it, they're talking about the stuff that is taking over food crops or forest space, which is the un-green and non-eco-friendly 5% stuff mixed in with regular diesel.

That's one of the major confusions when it comes to Biodiesel, I suppose there should be a new name for the good stuff and a new name for the bad stuff!!! Eco-Biodiesel and Perverted-Biodiesel perhaps? :lol:

I refer you to my post which you initially disagreed with.

OK - so where do we get this from and how do we need to treat it to be able to use it?

Maybe time to set up a recycling plant for Canal users - though what are the draw backs of using chip fat over red or white?

Dis advantage, lots of dangerous chemicals that need disposing of.

Yep!

That was going to be my next point. Removing the starch and particulates, from the waste chip-oil is a messy business and not exactly environmentally friendly, either.

Dis advantage, lots of dangerous chemicals that need disposing of.

That disadvantage can become an advantage as the waste chemicals can be used to make soap with a little more refining... :lol:

I'm just going to look for the list of Biodiesel suppliers now for those who want to know where to get it... :lol:

And no, you don't need to "treat" the biodiesel in order to use it, just fill up and go, but buy a couple of spare fuel filters as the biodiesel tends to to create waxy deposits from the dinodiesel which clog up the filters, best done with an empty tank though, just to get rid of the dinodiesel... :lol:

EDIT:

Here's the place to find out where your nearest Biodiesel supplier is:

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/outlets.htm

Edited by twocvbloke

Oh dear, this sounds terribly vague

In one of the discussions about Biodiesel, someone pointed out that it has quite a short "shelf life" which would make it unsuitable for long term canal boat storage. Anyone remember this or know any more?

Richard

Yes, very vague...

Sadly yes it does have a shorter storage life than dino does (seeing how dino is millions of years old and all!!!), but as long as there are chippies, there is always eco-biodiesel on tap, if only more people would use it, instead of the waste oils going to landfill to become methane gas, which is both dangerous and a serious greenhouse gas... :lol:

but as long as there are chippies, there is always eco-biodiesel on tap, if only more people would use it,

Interestingly, I made enquiries about harvesting some chip fat, from a very good chippy, near the canal. They told me they recycle all their oil by filtration and the most waste they ever produced is an oily paper towel's worth.

Edited by carlt

I

terestingly, I made enquiries about harvesting some chip fat, from a very good chippy, near the canal. They told me they recycle all their oil by filtration and the most waste they ever produced is an oily paper towel's worth.

Cool, doing their bit I see, I still haven't perfected that yet and just make a mess most of the time!!! :lol:

Your best bet is to go to a cheapo chippie where they don't recycle their oil and most likely pour it down the drain... :lol:

I spoke with our local chippie and apparently their oil supplier collects the old oil when it delivers new and then reprocesses it... so none for us... shame...

Is chippie or Chinese oil cleaner?

There's not really much difference, as long as it's a vegetable oil of sorts, it is about the same... :lol:

You can even just get a load of oil from a cash & carry and use that, but you need to warm the oil before feeding it to the engine... :lol:

so can you put the bio stuff straight in your tank with red deisel still in there.

Just found this site worth looking at, its interesting to read what they have to say about use in cars etc

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/

Yep, in whatever ratio you like, just keep some fuel filters handy as Biodiesel creates waxy deposits from the dinodiesel which can clog them up... :lol:

Running on pure biodiesel will usually be trouble free, it just depends on whether the engines like it or not (I have heard Lister engines are fine on it, for those with Listers)... :lol:

I posted that site a few posts back... :lol:

Just rang the outlet at Thatcham ( Newbury) and their price today is £1-10p. As White diesel is only a few pence more and likely to drop a bit in the coming days / weeks I am not bothering at the moment...

Nick

The price of Bio tends to rise and fall in line with regular (as commercially produced Bio is taxed at the usual rates), but is still cheaper then regular, my local place, www.ecobiodiesel.co.uk of Burnley are at just £1.05p, which compared to the local garages is between 10 and 20p cheaper!!! :lol:

Another thing, if you fancy making your own, you can legally make up to 2500 Litres tax free, if you make 2501L you have to pay duty on the lot (bit of a swizz that really in my opinion!!!), could be a cheaper option, especially if you avoid those overpriced "Freddie" things on ebay... :lol:

The price of Bio tends to rise and fall in line with regular (as commercially produced Bio is taxed at the usual rates), but is still cheaper then regular, my local place, www.ecobiodiesel.co.uk of Burnley are at just £1.05p, which compared to the local garages is between 10 and 20p cheaper!!! :lol:

Another thing, if you fancy making your own, you can legally make up to 2500 Litres tax free, if you make 2501L you have to pay duty on the lot (bit of a swizz that really in my opinion!!!), could be a cheaper option, especially if you avoid those overpriced "Freddie" things on ebay... :lol:

I looked at making it too - apart from the kit ( I reckon I could make most myself) the biggest "problems" I thought would be finding the raw oil ( chippies want money these days), transporting it ( licence needed and messy) and storage / making it ( very messy ) so all in all its on the "back burner" for now....

Nick

I looked at making it too - apart from the kit ( I reckon I could make most myself) the biggest "problems" I thought would be finding the raw oil ( chippies want money these days), transporting it ( licence needed and messy) and storage / making it ( very messy ) so all in all its on the "back burner" for now....

Nick

You be careful, don't want any chip fat fires. :lol:

Nick

The kit is easy, just 3 barrels of some sort, a heater (home brew beer barrel heaters are a good one), piping, filters and a shed or garage... :lol:

It's not messy if you're careful, but of course there are things to go wrong if you miss something or you don't get the refining chemical mixes right (some people end up with what can only be described as yellow slop!!!), but it's all part of the fun, and can be much cheaper in the long run... :lol:

But yes, collecting oil is getting tougher these days as places are selling their oil as opposed to dumping it in landfill (a good thing, sort of), and the waste licence is a must otherwise the places could get accused of illegally dumping the oils down the drain, when infact it's in your car/boat being used as fuel... :lol:

But hopefully the gov't will cotton on and enforce the recycling of the oil into biofuels, and allow the use of it in pure form (B100, as it is called, like the Ethanol/petrol mix is E85), but even then it'll be perverted into something bad and not green in the slightest... :lol:

And, there is a way to convert the oils into a form of fuel that can be used in place of petrol, but that requires some really expert equipment... ;)