blackpowder guns on Narrowboats is it poss

doc1864

Featured Posts

We're in danger, I guess of going off topic, although hopefully the original question has been answered. Firearms ownership is an increasingly emotive issue, John I fully respect your evident fear and dislike. I can assure you though I am a sensible human being who likes to make little holes in bits of paper or try to hit flying lumps of clay in his spare time. It is as weird as playing golf and you have far more to fear from a load of drunk football fans or getting in your car than you do from me and my co-hobby-ists.

The USA is of course an unusual case because in most States there is not even a requirement to keep firearms locked away, hence the potential for accidental deaths. Clearly this is ludicrous, though addressing the issue now would be an immense task. The precise reason we've come to discuss this is the requirement in this country for secure storage to prevent unauthorised access.

Hungerford and Dunblane have been the subject of much debate, but basically as mentioned above both Michael Ryan and Thomas Hamilton were allowed to keep their firearms after concerns had been raised about their suitability. The Police failed to act appropriately, in Thomas Hamilton's case at a very high level. The failing was not gun ownership but system failure.

Switzerland mentioned above is unusual again because all young men serve in the Army and when they leave are required to keep their weapons. They then make up a loose sort of reservist force. This is again a situation with potential problems.

If I thought my weapons were a threat to anyone I would give them up. The gun is not the issue, it is the person. I feel as great a responsibilty driving my car as I do going shooting.

Edited by verbo

Not saying anything for or against recreational firearms use (not that it matters, because they won't be able to hear me anyway), but as the law stands the police know that if they find a gun, it's illegal. Strikes me that's an advantage to the great majority of non-gun-owning, law-abiding citizens.

Unless they find it in their own belt :lol: then its legal :lol:

The gun licensing rules have indeed changed hugely very recently (allegedly because of all the terrorist malarky) - my colleagues in the Armoury at work (who hold their own license) are having all sorts of hassles now. The police regularly inspect our gun cabinets and equipment anyway but obtaining, repairing and transporting guns is massively problematic now - even for theatrical use.

Well done guy's, nine reply's in favour of guns and not one against since my last post.. It has even been decided by one well informed member that "I am the lowest form of life" for admitting that I am not a great lover of guns and the culture they represent..

Guns are instruments of destruction, nothing worthwhile was ever created by the use of them, someone mentioned those brave policemen who strut about in public places these days aping the gait of John Wayne.. I understand that the armed police departments are based of a system of volunteers.. How is this for an idea, poll the police force and ask for volunteers and those that do come forward, immediately add their names to a list that should never be given the opportunity of handling a gun, with luck we may end up with fewer bullet ridden corpses including the odd Brazilian electrician who was out minding his own business when he came up against that 'posse of gun slingers'.

There is a current thread regarding membership of canal societies, perhaps the membership secretary of the British Nazi party should make himself known, there will be rich pickings on this forum.

Edited by John Orentas

John, I'm sorry that you choose to accuse me in a roundabout way of being a Nazi on the basis that I respectfully and politely disagree with you about firearms. I am also insulted, which was of course your intention and is consistent with your promoting an emotional argument rather than a practical one. This of course you are free to do, as I am free to take my properly licensed firearms and use them. I am not part of any 'culture' I am a member of probably the most law-abiding group of citizens in the land: we are under far closer scrutiny than many and we all have a number within the Police National Computer (you may be amused to learn that we share this honour with the country's criminals).

"nothing worthwhile was ever created by the use of them"

I wouldn't say that, how about numerous dinners? Anyone for pheasant, rabbit, pigeon, venison...

Well done guy's, nine reply's in favour of guns and not one against since my last post.. It has even been decided by one well informed member that "I am the lowest form of life" for admitting that I am not a great lover of guns and the culture they represent..

Guns are instruments of destruction, nothing worthwhile was ever created by the use of them, someone mentioned those brave policemen who strut about in public places these days aping the gait of John Wayne.. I understand that the armed police departments are based of a system of volunteers.. How is this for an idea, poll the police force and ask for volunteers and those that do come forward, immediately add their names to a list that should never be given the opportunity of handling a gun, with luck we may end up with fewer bullet ridden corpses including the odd Brazilian electrician who was out minding his own business when he came up against that 'posse of gun slingers'.

There is a current thread regarding membership of canal societies, perhaps the membership secretary of the British Nazi party should make himself known, there will be rich pickings on this forum.

You're not the lowest form of life for not liking guns, but for the fact that you seem to think that because you don't like them neither should anyone else. Thank you for appreciating that I am well informed, not many people do. Consider. if it weren't for guns, we'd all be in the GERMAN Nazi party. :lol: Steve

John, I'm sorry that you choose to accuse me in a roundabout way of being a Nazi on the basis that I respectfully and politely disagree with you about firearms. I am also insulted, which was of course your intention and is consistent with your promoting an emotional argument rather than a practical one. This of course you are free to do, as I am free to take my properly licensed firearms and use them. I am not part of any 'culture' I am a member of probably the most law-abiding group of citizens in the land: we are under far closer scrutiny than many and we all have a number within the Police National Computer (you may be amused to learn that we share this honour with the country's criminals).

"nothing worthwhile was ever created by the use of them"

I wouldn't say that, how about numerous dinners? Anyone for pheasant, rabbit, pigeon, venison...

Oh yes I thought I would avoid all that, so you enjoy killing animals for food, not much necessity for that these days so much more likely you just like killing things.. Law abiding group? not in my book you are not and if you think that objecting to killing creatures for recreation is 'an emotional argument'.. I would say that blowing a hole in mine or another animals head is about as practical as you can get.

P.S.

On the news minutes ago "An instant killing was the only option" so say our courageous police officers that killed the Brazilian Jimenez.. What sort of society do we want to live in.

Edited by John Orentas

You're not the lowest form of life for not liking guns, but for the fact that you seem to think that because you don't like them neither should anyone else. Thank you for appreciating that I am well informed, not many people do. Consider. if it weren't for guns, we'd all be in the GERMAN Nazi party. :lol: Steve

No we wouldn't coz they wouldn't have had anything to shoot at us with either.

Bombs, however...

I invoke Godwins Law.

I assume you're a vegetarian? If so I wish you well in your eating, if not you can go fall on your self absorbed non-threatening unsharp petard. The taking and consumption of a wild animal will always be swifter, more humane and more holistic than the transport and slaughter of a farmed animal.

Emotional? So how do you practically support an argument that states that in your book I am not law-abiding when a minor transgression in the law would lose me my licence, hence I behave myself?

You appear to be slightly concerned that I might "blow a hole in your head". Why? Because you might be tasty in a winter stew? Because you might some time threaten me? No, neither are even fantastically possible, it's because you are being emotional.

I won't comment on Juan Charles de Menezez because I wasn't there and can never know exactly what happened. I do feel though that making capital out of it for your argument is slightly shameful.

As for liking killing things, you have no idea how I feel about the death of anything, but it suits you to believe that I enjoy it. It helps you to hate me and other people who you disagree with and herein lies the end of my part in this discussion- you will not agree to disagree because you clearly enjoy hating and that makes you more of a fascist than I will ever be.

I feel another Webasto post coming on

I invoke Godwins Law.

I was tempted to but does likening someone to a BNP member count?

I felt Big Steve's post fulfilled Godwin's far more by actually mentioning the German Nazis.

I won't comment on Juan Charles de Menezez because I wasn't there and can never know exactly what happened. I do feel though that making capital out of it for your argument is slightly shameful.

A new Godwin's category?

I was tempted to but does likening someone to a BNP member count?

I felt Big Steve's post fulfilled Godwin's far more by actually mentioning the German Nazis.

A new Godwin's category?

I'm not too sure of the procedure here. Do the words "in the second world war" have to be used, or is merely saying "Nazis" enough? I though that happened a couple of posts before.

Richard

Oh, I don't think your new category works as the next logical step from that shooting is to say "that is how the Nazis behaved" etc. It's just one step off a Godwins law conclusion.

Why on earth would anyone want to keep firearms on a narrowboat, come to think about it why would anyone want to own firearms at all.. In my view anyone who has this kind of fascination or curiosity about guns are very people who should never be allowed to possess them.

After that spate of gun crime, Hungerford and all that, the government with the granting of so many exceptions to the laws lost the opportunity to declare that every gun in this country was an illegal gun and that our swashbuckling friend and his chums should find themselves some other little hobby that does not put themselves and others at risk.

Mentioned on the radio recently; In the USA hundreds, yes hundreds of children are killed every year as a result of them finding and playing with the parents guns yet still that fool Charlton Heston (thankfully recently deceased) and his 'Rifle Association' tell us what a wonderful thing it is that citizens have the 'Right to bear arms'..... Pathetic.

Congratulations. I would like to compliment you on spouting the most narrow minded and ignorant set of comments i have ever had the misfortune of reading!

Kayak.

There are two types of uses of guns, one is for sport and hobby use, which enables the user to take pride in honing his skills and enjoying the company of others enjoying the same sport, sometimes in a competitive way, target shooting, clays etc. I would assume that the exponent would gain the same pleasure as those playing golf, archery, competetive sailing and any other sport. I would view humane vermin and pest control together with small game for food, as using a tool highly suited to the job and far more acceptable than poisons, clubs or slaughterhouse methods where animals are herded up prior to slaughter.

The other type of gun use, is for imposing power over other people and for protection against those seeking to misuse that power. Unfortunately, wishing to impose power over others, is a human fault and prior to the gun, was achieved with the use of bows, swords, knives, sticks & clubs since humans first existed.

I strongly believe that the deliberate misuse of guns (or any weapon) comes not from a desire for sport or fun, but from an inbalance in the mind that makes some people want to bully or force their will or point of view on others. This can equally be applied to the use of a forum, where, just like the unbalanced gun toting thug, an unprovoked and unjustified attack can be launched on the victim under the guise of unsubstantiated, misrepresented and emotive arguments, whilst hiding in the cover of a faceless environment. No need to abide by the rules of normal discussion and consideration for the other persons point of view, just charge in and massacre anyone who doesn't agree with you!

Roger

Edited by Roger Gunkel

Why on earth would anyone want to keep firearms on a narrowboat, come to think about it why would anyone want to own firearms at all.. In my view anyone who has this kind of fascination or curiosity about guns are very people who should never be allowed to possess them.

So I am a gun wealing maniac... i think not :lol:

My father lost his hobby due to the idiots that caused Hungerford and Dunblane, both were down to police error and the guns owners were unstable.

I was shooting guns at the age of 10 and winning medals in competitions, but i also lost this hobby too.

My dad taught me and my mum respect for the weapons and the history behind them and the skill involed to shoot them correctly.

I am quite proud to say that i have shot quite wide array of weapons and yes i understand the destruction that they can and have caused but it is not the guns that kill it is the people behind them, a gun cannot kill without an operator. (unless there is a severe fault with the weapon)

I would speak to your firearms officer about storing them on the boat, they may want to see where you are housing them and more imortantly where you are housing the rounds and powder.

Unfortunatley none of us shoot now, dad lost hundreds of pounds when he had to hand all his firearms in and only recieved a small amount of compensation, we wished that we had got them all deactivated and kept them as ornaments but he lost all enthusiasm. We only ever did target shooting.

This website might be helpful - http://www.firearmsexpert.co.uk/index.html

I'm not too sure of the procedure here. Do the words "in the second world war" have to be used, or is merely saying "Nazis" enough? I though that happened a couple of posts before.

Richard

Oh, I don't think your new category works as the next logical step from that shooting is to say "that is how the Nazis behaved" etc. It's just one step off a Godwins law conclusion.

Well Quirk's exception to you then. :lol:

And thanks to the moderators for deleting my offensive ramble against John O on Tuesday, or was I so p***ed I didn't succesfuly post it? :lol:

well thanks all its been sorted the simple answer is yes found a firearms officer that lives onboard and he has helped so to most of you a big thanks and to the one t**t show how much you know

stew

Edited by Lady Muck

Mentioned on the radio recently; In the USA hundreds, yes hundreds of children are killed every year as a result of them finding and playing with the parents guns yet still that fool Charlton Heston (thankfully recently deceased) and his 'Rifle Association' tell us what a wonderful thing it is that citizens have the 'Right to bear arms'..... Pathetic.

Yep - absolutely tragic - and disgusting that the situation isn't improving - that's why guns need to be kept responsibly and locked away properly - which is what the OP was asking about...

Legally owned firearms in the UK is a VERY different situation to the US....

However, some stats for you from the US based SAFE KIDS Campaign - these are annual statistics from the US alone (not necessarily the latest - just from an interweb search) :

More than 205,400 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for basketball-related injuries.

Nearly 108,300 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for baseball-related injuries. Baseball also has the highest fatality rate among sports for children ages 5 to 14, with three to four children dying from baseball injuries each year.

Nearly 285,000 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for bicycle-related injuries.

Almost 185,700 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for football-related injuries.

Nearly 10,600 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for ice skating-related injuries.

Nearly 27,200 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for in-line skating-related injuries.

More than 50,000 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for skateboarding-related injuries.

More than 15,000 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for sledding-related injuries.

More than 35,000 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for snow skiing-related injuries.

About 75,000 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for soccer-related injuries.

Nearly 80,000 children ages 14 and under were treated in hospital emergency rooms for trampoline-related injuries.

According to a study published in the journal Pediatrics, over 18,000 young people under the age of 18 were treated in Emergency Departments for ice hockey-related injuries in 2001-2002.

Why, exactly, do we need baseball ?

NB//Of course, WE need guns to fight the bad guys ! :lol: - which, incidentally, is why the UK Police have them - it doesn't do you any favours to slag off the guys and gals who put their lives on the line to protect you. It is not an easy option for a police officer to carry a gun and it is harder for them to use one.

Edited by US Marines

• 1 year later...
why not could have a score rating system ie

5 pts for a lone fisherman

10 pts for each fisherman in a competition

15 pts for fishermen on lock approaches

15 pts for a stationary cyclist

20 pts for a moving cyclist

25 pts for any bw employee not working

30 pts for a motor cyclist

-50 pts for a working bw employees

100 pts for any defra representatives

250 pts for any bw director

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wh a higher score for motorcyclists? some one got beef with them?? lol

After that spate of gun crime, Hungerford and all that, the government with the granting of so many exceptions to the laws lost the opportunity to declare that every gun in this country was an illegal gun and that our swashbuckling friend and his chums should find themselves some other little hobby that does not put themselves and others at risk.

Your a bit of a T**t aint you :lol:

Edited by Lady Muck