blackpowder guns on Narrowboats is it poss

doc1864

Featured Posts

Er, dunno. Have you tried asking at the local police station to try and get some clarification about this?

Normally, the police are entitled to knock at any time to inspect the various safety aspects of keeping firearms .... this may be a no-brainer if you are out cruising on your boat.

Dont ask the police anything about guns etc, they will only tell you what they want to see, which is very oftern wrong. Go to the Home office web site and get the right answer.

As far as i know BW's byelaws state no "Firearms" are to be on the canals at any time, BUT a shotgun is not a firearm in the

eyes of the law so you sould be OK, same as an airgun, Ive been down this road when getting a shotgun certificate.......

The thing in your case is a blackpowder gun is a firearm......

does anyone konw if it is poss to keep you guns on your narrowboat it will have a gun cabinet one is a 3 band enfield shotgun and the other a colt 1864 revolver or will i have to sell them ?

stew& Karen :lol:

Hi Stew & Karen,

I have spoken to the NRA and Leicester police about firearms stored on a boat. It is possible. Leicestershire advise that you need a permanent address for correspondence, but the weapons can be stored on a narrow boat in proper gun cabinets. I was talking about full bore rifles, under lever carbines and black powder pistols and rifles.

Hope this heps.

Keith

Dont ask the police anything about guns etc, they will only tell you what they want to see, which is very oftern wrong. Go to the Home office web site and get the right answer.

As far as i know BW's byelaws state no "Firearms" are to be on the canals at any time, BUT a shotgun is not a firearm in the

eyes of the law so you sould be OK, same as an airgun, Ive been down this road when getting a shotgun certificate.......

Sorry, you are wrong. Both a shotgun and an airgun are counted are firearms, except when talking about licensing. If you walk down the street with a loaded air weapon you will be charged under firearm legislation.

Hi,

I'm told by the Police that a canal boat is classed as a moblie home,and shotguns will be permitted so long as 'adequate security is fitted' and a contact addess is given. The security will be checked at the next license renewal.

Hope this helps

Mick

A bit wrong really, as its your local Police Firearms Enquirey Team that attends your address and either gives the ya or nay when it come down to issuing any certificate so any advice should be sought from them as they wil be the ones monitoring your use etc.

Dont bother with the local stn office, its the fires arms enquirey team or whatever equivelant your force calls them.

If it really is a 1864 revolver (and not a copy) then provided you don't intend to use it :lol: you don't even need a firearms certificate.

Times have changed steve.

even an antique revolver capable of discharging a round or being retro converted to fire rounds will be classed as a section 1 firearm.

If it has been rendered 'blanked off' and incapable of discharge then a certificate is issued to say as such, but as above, any spiked firearm can be brought back to ful working order.

New firearm legislation now quite rightly strictly covers offences of using imitation guns, and anything that appears to be a firearm.

Shotguns are classed as firearms but there are varying levels, such as rifled barrels and smooth bore barrels.

Even CS gas is classed as a firearm

even an antique revolver capable of discharging a round or being retro converted to fire rounds will be classed as a section 1 firearm.

I reckon know you are definitely wrong. If you do not use it (at all) and it's a genuine black powder antique, even if it's fully functional you do not need a certificate to own one. You can hang it on the wall as an ornament. The instant you show it any ball and powder it becomes a section 1 firearm and has to be kept locked up. Weird innit?

Same applies to obsolete calibres, which always struck me as a bit odd, since anyone with a smattering of engineering skills could easily knock up ammunition of any size.

See this page for Home office guidelines http://www.david-squires.org.uk/Antiques.htm

Edited by Big Steve

Hi Stew & Karen,

I have spoken to the NRA and Leicester police about firearms stored on a boat. It is possible. Leicestershire advise that you need a permanent address for correspondence, but the weapons can be stored on a narrow boat in proper gun cabinets. I was talking about full bore rifles, under lever carbines and black powder pistols and rifles.

Hope this heps.

Keith

Sorry, you are wrong. Both a shotgun and an airgun are counted are firearms, except when talking about licensing. If you walk down the street with a loaded air weapon you will be charged under firearm legislation.

Yeah thats what im saying, Ive got 3 shotguns used for comp shooting, But i dont have a "firearms" certificate. Know what your saying though.

If you hold up a bank with a banana under a newspaper, you maybe charged under firearm legislation as well.

I reckon know you are definitely wrong. If you do not use it (at all) and it's a genuine black powder antique, even if it's fully functional you do not need a certificate to own one. You can hang it on the wall as an ornament. The instant you show it any ball and powder it becomes a section 1 firearm and has to be kept locked up. Weird innit?

Same applies to obsolete calibres, which always struck me as a bit odd, since anyone with a smattering of engineering skills could easily knock up ammunition of any size.

See this page for Home office guidelines http://www.david-squires.org.uk/Antiques.htm

CORRECT!

GO TO THE TOP OF THE CLASS.

Its funny this should come up. I had an inspection for a shotgun renewal on Friday just gone and asked the inspector if i could keep my guns onboard and he said that provided the security is up to scratch then there is no problem. I also have section 1 firearms and he didnt see a problem with these either but perhaps he is unaware of the the bylaw on "firearms". this is something i will have to check with BWB i see!

Kayak.

CORRECT!

Its funny this should come up. I had an inspection for a shotgun renewal on Friday just gone and asked the inspector if i could keep my guns onboard and he said that provided the security is up to scratch then there is no problem. I also have section 1 firearms and he didnt see a problem with these either but perhaps he is unaware of the the bylaw on "firearms". this is something i will have to check with BWB i see!

Kayak.

BW don't have a bye-law that prohibits keeping a gun on board.

They do have a bye-law (46) which effectively prohibits using them.

BW don't have a bye-law that prohibits keeping a gun on board.

They do have a bye-law (46) which effectively prohibits using them.

Good bit of info!

Where does it prohibit them being used? Surly it can only be on BWB property, ie the canal, but common sence would dictate that!

Kayak.

Good bit of info!

Where does it prohibit them being used? Surly it can only be on BWB property, ie the canal, but common sence would dictate that!

Kayak.

why not could have a score rating system ie

5 pts for a lone fisherman

10 pts for each fisherman in a competition

15 pts for fishermen on lock approaches

15 pts for a stationary cyclist

20 pts for a moving cyclist

25 pts for any bw employee not working

30 pts for a motor cyclist

-50 pts for a working bw employees

100 pts for any defra representatives

250 pts for any bw director

:lol: :lol: :lol:

why not could have a score rating system ie

5 pts for a lone fisherman

10 pts for each fisherman in a competition

15 pts for fishermen on lock approaches

15 pts for a stationary cyclist

20 pts for a moving cyclist

25 pts for any bw employee not working

30 pts for a motor cyclist

-50 pts for a working bw employees

100 pts for any defra representatives

250 pts for any bw director

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How much for a licence dodger and is there a different score for TV licence dodgers and boat licence dodgers?

CORRECT!

Kayak.

If you took your shotgun onto a boat which you use frequently and move around the system (as opposed to staying at a permanent mooring) aren't the police a little bit concerned about your continually changing location?

Alot of this relies on the individual Firearms Officer and perhaps the area. I know two people who were refused home storage for firearms on boats (Met Police) regardless of the security in place. Both were on residential moorings. As a result the club we are members of installed a number of safes and this has proved very popular.

It may come down to the relationship with the officer and how long you have held a certificate. If you have a good relationship with him or her and have held a certificate for a while then they may be willing to grant you more leeway than a new applicant, just as if you apply for a .50 cal centrefire rifle on your first application it's likely to be answer 'no'!

The old adage, if you don't ask you don't get applies here. though if they do say no you may want to be careful about getting into a fight with them, they may remember you come renewal time...

Why on earth would anyone want to keep firearms on a narrowboat, come to think about it why would anyone want to own firearms at all.. In my view anyone who has this kind of fascination or curiosity about guns are very people who should never be allowed to possess them.

After that spate of gun crime, Hungerford and all that, the government with the granting of so many exceptions to the laws lost the opportunity to declare that every gun in this country was an illegal gun and that our swashbuckling friend and his chums should find themselves some other little hobby that does not put themselves and others at risk.

Mentioned on the radio recently; In the USA hundreds, yes hundreds of children are killed every year as a result of them finding and playing with the parents guns yet still that fool Charlton Heston (thankfully recently deceased) and his 'Rifle Association' tell us what a wonderful thing it is that citizens have the 'Right to bear arms'..... Pathetic.

Edited by John Orentas

Hi Stew and Karen,

Its refreshing to hear of people like yourselves who want to enjoy a long established hobby in a safe, responsible and law abiding way and are willing to ask advice to enable you to achieve this.

Its a pity that the ready availability of unlicenced firearms has led to an increase in gun crime and knee jerk reactions in some areas, to responsible people like yourselves. I also find it interesting that a country like Switzerland, which has one of the highest levels of gun ownership in the world, also has one of the lowest rates of gun crime! I've no doubt you will need an approved lock up facility for your kitchen knives soon as knife crime dwarfs gun crime in the UK.

Good luck with your hobby

Roger

Hi Stew and Karen,

Its refreshing to hear of people like yourselves who want to enjoy a long established hobby in a safe, responsible and law abiding way and are willing to ask advice to enable you to achieve this.

Its a pity that the ready availability of unlicenced firearms has led to an increase in gun crime and knee jerk reactions in some areas, to responsible people like yourselves. I also find it interesting that a country like Switzerland, which has one of the highest levels of gun ownership in the world, also has one of the lowest rates of gun crime! I've no doubt you will need an approved lock up facility for your kitchen knives soon as knife crime dwarfs gun crime in the UK.

Good luck with your hobby

Roger

I am not "into" guns at all (even though my folks were game keepers), but I believe you are correct about Switzerland. I understand that Canada also has a high level of gun ownership, but little evidence of any gun crime.

Why on earth would anyone want to keep firearms on a narrowboat, come to think about it why would anyone want to own firearms at all.. In my view anyone who has this kind of fascination or curiosity about guns are very people who should never be allowed to possess them.

After that spate of gun crime, Hungerford and all that, the government with the granting of so many exceptions to the laws lost the opportunity to declare that every gun in this country was an illegal gun and that our swashbuckling friend and his chums should find themselves some other little hobby that does not put themselves and others at risk.

Mentioned on the radio recently; In the USA hundreds, yes hundreds of children are killed every year as a result of them finding and playing with the parents guns yet still that fool Charlton Heston (thankfully recently deceased) and his 'Rifle Association' tell us what a wonderful thing it is that citizens have the 'Right to bear arms'..... Pathetic.

How many hundreds of children are killed by swimming pools and cars each year?

I always had a lot of respect for you and your views, but you've just become the lowest form of life to me. You probably don't care; is your mantra "if I don't like it then no one can do it"

My blood's boiling now, so I'd better just get off this topic.

Sorry John. you are talking a load of spheroids. The post Hungerford and Dunblane kneejerk reaction of the lilly livered liberals cost this country a large amount. It cost lost jobs (mine included), lost liberty, lost hobbies (mine included) and totally failed to live up to the Labour Governments justification of "eliminating guns used in crime". Since the banning of handguns, self loading rifles and pump action shotguns with a magazine capacity of greater than 2 cartridges, gun crime has flourished. fuelled by the liberisation of our borders enabling any Tom, Dick, Harriet or Ahmed to bring illegal firearms into this country.

Statistically, less than 1% of all gun related crime involves legally held licensed firearms or even firearms that were once legally held. Also less than 0.2% of injuries treated in hospital or by doctors (figures for 2002) were caused by the sports of shooting / archery /darts. Now that to me indicates a fairly safe sport. You are more at risk from playing cricket than from a firearms based sport. you may well be right about injuries and deaths to children in the USA, where gun ownership, useage and storage is totally different to that in the UK.

Firearms based sports are safe and interesting. The safe sporting use of both blackpowder and centrefire firearms is a sport open to all people of all classes and is readily accessible to the disabled as well. Indeed, it is one of the few Olympic sports we used to be good at, although the recent Games have shown we are getting better at others.

Both the Hungerford and Dunblane tragedies were conclusivley shown to be due to the relevant Police Forces not carrying out their duties in relation to the Firearms Acs properly.

There - enough for now. Who is for bed?