new mad couple to liveaboard

bespin

Featured Posts

hi thought we would say hi to you all, we are a youngish couple 32 :0) who have gone mad and have just had an offer accepted on a 55ft narrowboat, that we intend to use as a liveaboard within the next year - 6 months. we are both very very excited about this fact if not a little bit scared too. we will be on here over the next 6 months asking stupid questions to you all (the pointy end is the front int it :0) as we do her up a bit in a modern styley. try to get rid of everything we own and generally make a mess of things :lol:

welcome to the forum, and a new way of life! Ask away, you'll get most things answered, however basic or complicated they are :lol:

I'm newish here myself, though been living aboard for 6 years, but have found this forum invaluable.

Enjoy!! :lol:

Welcome! Kev and I have been living aboard for 15 months now and the chaps and chapesses on this forum have been invaluable in answering our many questions, giving advice and often their time too. :lol: It's marvellous and we've made some great friends through this site - so welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new way of life! :lol:

thanks for the welcome blue string pudding, the first thing we are wanting to know as we are waiting to arrange a survey and test run with the owners is what sort of things do you need to ask when you see the surveyour and the owners. we were thinking along the lines of what do all them things do, where does that wire lead stuff like that, i think i understand the heating bits its just the electrical bit im not to sure of at the moment

hi thought we would say hi to you all, we are a youngish couple 32 :0) who have gone mad and have just had an offer accepted on a 55ft narrowboat,

Oh yeah??? How mad??? Buying a 55 Narrowboat mad? or the whole pencil up each nostril and saying "wibble"

Congratulations, and welcome

Oh yeah??? How mad??? Buying a 55 Narrowboat mad? or the whole pencil up each nostril and saying "wibble"

Congratulations, and welcome

ah you have spotted our cunning plan (yes more cunning than a fox with a degree in cunning from the university of cunning) we are just letting all those around us think we have gone mad when we really know that it is infact a really really good idea, well thats what we keep telling ourselfs anyway :0)

that makes us mad aswell?But we have a pair of pants on my head as well as the pencils up each nostril.the boat we wanted someone put a offer in so we're of to look at another.

Edited by paddy r

thanks for the welcome blue string pudding, the first thing we are wanting to know as we are waiting to arrange a survey and test run with the owners is what sort of things do you need to ask when you see the surveyour and the owners. we were thinking along the lines of what do all them things do, where does that wire lead stuff like that, i think i understand the heating bits its just the electrical bit im not to sure of at the moment

We got our boat in April this year. The surveyor was great, he explained everything really simply for us and didn't seem to mind our hanging about or asking him random questions. What ever pops into your head just ask, i'm sure he's heard it all before. Also remember your paying him so you get your moneys worth using his knowledge. :lol:

Have fun, we are still loving every minute!

the surveyor is comng on the 17th so not long, will have to see if i can get the day off to go look. hoping we can get it all sorted before the week after as we are going on holiday for a week to stay in a yert, and there even smaller than a NB :0) will get us used to it though. will be asking lots of questions of him though next week if i go

well survayor came and said that the boat was fine hull ok and no major problems, just a few minor changes needed to things but not essencil to the boat that he would do. just the engine running to fast and the temp rising a little need to check with the owners when we go out on it with them see what they know about it. will need a service anyway before we go any distance as its been stood a bit. also the money to pay for the thing came through too so everytthing should be set for when we get back off holiday which we inconveniantly booked ages ago just for the time we are buying a boat :lol: so now there is nothnig to stop us from actually doing this eeek scary int it

• 2 weeks later...

went out on the boat today with the owners and had a great time they were lovely people and the boat was great on the water, they took us though a few swing bridges and a lock to show us what to do and were very helpful. I now know that we could get very used to this life it was amazing now have no daugt that we have made the right choice. all we have to do now is pay the money and she is ours.

We're new too - and a bit mad also! We just picked our boat up on Saturday/Sunday and brought her up the Wigan flight to Chorley - which was hard work! We're living aboard in a few weeks time so we might be asking more stupid questions too! We've picked a great time of the year to move oh huh? Oh well...

Good luck with the boat - if you do indeed go for it!

Kay

x

thanks, we have a mooring at thorne in doncaster and will be doing to boat up for a bit first hoping to move on in 6 months, at the moment we have a house to sell and we all know how well that is going at the moment, busy selling off furniture at the moment at some point there will be more in the boat then in the house and that is when we are moving aboard her. would like to move now but will be good to not be in a building site while we modernise her. nice to hear from you both. kaydee indeed you are mad if you did that the first week you owned the boat good luck to you too

YaY we are now the pround owners of a 55 ft narrowboat and have spent the night on her, with only limted probs like starting the fire properly but thats now sorted. Spent all yesterday getting rid of stuff that had been left behind and we are now on at replacing and modernising her. got some kitchen cupboard doors from bq as 40% off at the moment bargin. got lots of new ideas even from one night on her and now want to put them in place. we are as you can tell a bit excited

just got back from a great weekend on our boat, i think we are going to like it there its so quite and the people we have meet are all lovely and very helpful. got a bit of work done while we were there too, though just enjoyed being there in our own boat :lol: sorry doc we are only able to stop over on the weekends at the moment thanks for the invite