Winterising a boat

Greybeard

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have (It's a Mercedes) but you need to get into the car 1st

The heated seats are quite nice as well.

You said the screen couldnt be scraped?

You dont need to on mine (Kuga) I just fire up the heated front screen and in a few seconds it starts to clear if its just frosted or it breaks the adhesion of ice/snow which you can then easily clear.

Just now, M_JG said:

You said the screen couldnt be scraped?

You dont need to on mine (Kuga) I just fire up the heated front screen and in a few seconds it starts to clear if its just frosted or it breaks the adhesion of ice/snow which you can then easily clear.

The screen was totally cover in thick mini-glaciers which I could not 'touch' with the scraper. The heated windscreen takes several minutes to heat up (it is a 17 year old car) but a combination of de-icer (squirty) engine heat and heated screen and it cleared.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

The screen was totally cover in thick mini-glaciers which I could not 'touch' with the scraper. The heated windscreen takes several minutes to heat up (it is a 17 year old car) but a combination of de-icer (squirty) engine heat and heated screen and it cleared.

Ford do call their version 'Quickclear' and it is.

I was worried as in 2020 I had to have the screen replaced and it was a non genuine one. I was concerned that it wouldnt be as quick but it is.

Friend next door just pours glass of warm water over the windscreen and has been doing that for years. Started doing that myself and it seems to work very well especially if you don’t use the wipers immediately. Appreciate some cars have automatic wipers. 

I know we always are told not to do that but I wonder if the old wives would tell a different story with modern car windscreen glass? 

43 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Appreciate some cars have automatic wipers. 

Which can be  switched off.

45 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Friend next door just pours glass of warm water over the windscreen and has been doing that for years. Started doing that myself and it seems to work very well especially if you don’t use the wipers immediately. 

Try that when it's properly frosty , which is a rare event in the last decade (depending where you live) .

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

Which can be  switched off.

Try that when it's properly frosty , which is a rare event in the last decade (depending where you live) .

But is that hearsay from older days? I’ve never heard it happen and my friend swears he’s done it for 30 years! 

this suggests not but recommends a non environmental spray ?

https://www.stablevehiclecontracts.co.uk/blog/will-hot-water-crack-a-frozen-windshield

Edited by Stroudwater1

22 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

But is that hearsay from older days? I’ve never heard it happen and my friend swears he’s done it for 30 years! 

this suggests not but recommends a non environmental spray ?

https://www.stablevehiclecontracts.co.uk/blog/will-hot-water-crack-a-frozen-windshield

Will your friend accept liability if your glass breaks?

Probably not 🤣 That article  clearly explains why it is unlikely to happen, the only reason not to do it appears to be because it makes the driveway slippery 🤣. The expanding due to water in small windscreen cracks isn’t limited to occasional pouring water on the windscreen as rain does it too🤣

it’s not hot but tepid water we use. It’s an old tale from plain glass windscreens of the 1950s. 

pouring warm or hot water over a laminated glass windshield can not crack it. This is because of how laminated glass is created and protected by the materials mentioned above. 

41 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

pouring warm or hot water over a laminated glass windshield can not crack it. This is because of how laminated glass is created and protected by the materials mentioned above. 

But its heated evenly all over, not just in one spot

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

When I lived in a house and worked I used hot water (from the kitchen hot water tap)  on my car's windscreen every time it was frosty. Never cracked a windscreen in over 30 years.

But why take the risk, when cold water from the cold tap works just as well?

1 minute ago, MtB said:

But why take the risk, when cold water from the cold tap works just as well?

Dunno. I never thought of cold water. If I ever live my life again I shall try it out. But hot water worked ok for me for 30 years, I don't think it was a risk.

8 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Dunno. I never thought of cold water. If I ever live my life again I shall try it out. But hot water worked ok for me for 30 years, I don't think it was a risk.

Ah yeah, that thing. I can think of about 200 different lives I would like to live, given the chance!

I had a laminated windscreen crack  one time. It wa a frosty morning and I had the screen heater on full blast

There had been a small stone chip in the screen and the crack started  from that .

But this has no connection with winterising boats .

A cold snap is forecast starting monday although it doesn't look particularly severe. Maybe some snow but the ground is perhaps too wet and too warm for snow to hang around.

Still not too late for significant snow or frost but apart from the chilly week and a half in December its been relatively mild if somewhat wet and windy here aI expect the same is true of most of the country.

My frost protection heaters on the boat have done little work  in January (so far) but might see some activity next week.

12 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Are windscreens the same today as they use to be, do they still make toughened ones that shattered into a million pieces or are they all now laminated some with a heating element built in

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are windscreens the same today as they use to be, do they still make toughened ones that shattered into a million pieces or are they all now laminated some with a heating element built in

Normally laminated and some have heating elements, mine does and its a god send in winter. (Well a normal winter, its hardly been used this winter).

Edited by M_JG

Judging by the energy consumed my boat doesn't seem to have consumed any frost protection heating in January other than  one day , 4th Jan .

That could change during the remainder of January and February of course .

I have a dehumidifier running which cuts out when the set 60%rh level is achieved and then it monitors  the air until it is again required. The dehumidifier has been  using between 30p and 50p in electricity per day which I think is an acceptable sum .  The variable cost seems to be down to temperatures  with the least energy used being on colder days .  The dehumidifier keeps the boat sufficiently dry to prevent any mould issues. The boat felt comfortably dry during a brief to the boat visit yesterday.

I will only have a little work to do to get the boat ready for the spring.

When I first got my boat the bow thruster compartment (below a locker in the well deck) used to accumulate several litres of condensation each winter. I considered insulating it, but eventually found that removing the top of the locker and its floor, thus leaving the bow thruster compartment open (but under the cratch) and ventilated resolved the problem.