Worried

kayDee

Featured Posts

Just wanted to say Hi to people on the forum and introduce myself. I'm Kay and our narrowboat will be moored in Chorley, Lancashire. It was a very big decision to take this step, and to be honest I am a little apprehensive. We have a daughter with severe learning difficulties and we are hoping that she (and us) take to this new, completely different lifestyle. We are also mooring on private land (not a marina) so, we will have to be very organised. We take over the boat in 4 weeks time, so if you see us moored, please say hi. Our boat is Tyto, which is currently moored at parbold. Looking forward to the change and hoping that we cope. Here's hoping. Kay.

Hiya!

Narrowboating is great. Being a liveaboard boater can be tricky but in the long run the pros always outweigh the cons.

As you already know, the key is planning. There isn't a lot of room and you're entirely self-sufficient, so keeping stocked up with gas, coal, water etc. is a continual balancing act. At the same time boats have a way of throwing unexpected surprises into the equation so try to allow some margin in your budget - plan for the unplannable!

Looking around the Forums I've noticed that a lot of boat faults seem to be 'systems' faults, e.g. water, gas and electrics. IMHO liveaboards are often less prone to systems faults because things are in use regularly - it's the "once a month" boaters who tend to have more problems simply because things get damp, seize up etc.. It would be easy to worry about wearing your boat out by living on it (!!) but I think using them and being there to keep an eye on things does them good.

One of the very best things about narrowboat ownership is the lack of formality (No more call centres - yay!). You'll soon get to know plenty of friendly and helpful people, so don't worry about being stuck for help or support.

If you talk to the people around you you will find that, on the whole, the boating community is very supportive and helpful.

I think that the plusses of the lifestyle will do your daughter the world of good.

Good luck.

Edit: In view of your post on another topic i was about to delete the above, I won't, because Ibelieve it to be true but if you come on the canals with that attitude you will find it a very lonely life unless you like sitting around in (very) small groups moaning about people.

Edited by Chris Pink

Hiya!

Narrowboating is great. Being a liveaboard boater can be tricky but in the long run the pros always outweigh the cons.

As you already know, the key is planning. There isn't a lot of room and you're entirely self-sufficient, so keeping stocked up with gas, coal, water etc. is a continual balancing act. At the same time boats have a way of throwing unexpected surprises into the equation so try to allow some margin in your budget - plan for the unplannable!

Looking around the Forums I've noticed that a lot of boat faults seem to be 'systems' faults, e.g. water, gas and electrics. IMHO liveaboards are often less prone to systems faults because things are in use regularly - it's the "once a month" boaters who tend to have more problems simply because things get damp, seize up etc.. It would be easy to worry about wearing your boat out by living on it (!!) but I think using them and being there to keep an eye on things does them good.

One of the very best things about narrowboat ownership is the lack of formality (No more call centres - yay!). You'll soon get to know plenty of friendly and helpful people, so don't worry about being stuck for help or support.

Thank you so much for responding, helped to ease my mind a little. Will hopefully be aboard in two weeks, so here's hoping. k.

Kay,

Welcome to the canals! Your change should be made easier by buying a boat that has been lived on before (I know Dave as we did the covers for your boat). Probably the single most important thing to get right early on is electricity: if you're lucky your mooring will have a landline, if not you will have to keep an eye on the battery monitor and try not to let the batteries drop much below 12.2 volts.

There is loads of help to be had - just ask local boaters or try this forum.

Good luck Giles,

not long to go now then! Fantastically exciting as far as I am concerned, it sounds as though it will be perfect for you all! Just keep talking, some of us on here live aboard and others are preparing to themselves and have been through it, so make sure you come back with your worries and triumphs so we can listen/help/learn etc.

Good luck to you all both me and my wife are just about to do the same after years of being in a noddy house then trying to do a self build and finding how behind the times this country compared to the rest of europe. we have given that idea up after 2 years of heart ache. so Narrowboat here we come cant wait

stew & karen

Hi,

I hope it goes well for you all, it should do, for all the youngsters that we have seen on the waterways, appear to be nice, well adjusted friendly folk!

I'm sure that being in close proximity with nature and the awareness of the changing seasons will benefit you all.

Rob

If you talk to the people around you you will find that, on the whole, the boating community is very supportive and helpful.

I think that the plusses of the lifestyle will do your daughter the world of good.

Good luck.

Edit: In view of your post on another topic i was about to delete the above, I won't, because Ibelieve it to be true but if you come on the canals with that attitude you will find it a very lonely life unless you like sitting around in (very) small groups moaning about people.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean about attitude, if I have offended anyone it was unintentional.

Kay,

Welcome to the canals! Your change should be made easier by buying a boat that has been lived on before (I know Dave as we did the covers for your boat). Probably the single most important thing to get right early on is electricity: if you're lucky your mooring will have a landline, if not you will have to keep an eye on the battery monitor and try not to let the batteries drop much below 12.2 volts.

There is loads of help to be had - just ask local boaters or try this forum.

Good luck Giles,

Hi and thanks for the response. We are going to have a sail with Dave to bring the boat over here, looking forward to it. k.

Hi,

I hope it goes well for you all, it should do, for all the youngsters that we have seen on the waterways, appear to be nice, well adjusted friendly folk!

I'm sure that being in close proximity with nature and the awareness of the changing seasons will benefit you all.

Rob

Thank you Rob, I agree. I hope it can only be a change for the good. Wish I was a youngster though. I'm 42. ha ha.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean about attitude, if I have offended anyone it was unintentional.

Hi and thanks for the response. We are going to have a sail with Dave to bring the boat over here, looking forward to it. k.

Thank you Rob, I agree. I hope it can only be a change for the good. Wish I was a youngster though. I'm 42. ha ha.

half way to 84 i know the feeling