which engine

gaggle

Featured Posts

which engine should i opt for? what size should i specify? i would like to in the long run tackle the ribble and other tidal journeys,the only thing i know about engines is cars have them and i need good advice on what is good and what is bad,and fit for the tasks that will be placed upon it.

thats two of us need this info charlee,i am getting 57ft nb and i am hoping to have it for kids breaking up from school so we should be on the water about same time,dont know about you but it cant come soon enough.gaggle

All the cheaper builders seem to use Isuzu. I've a 35hp fitted in a 45ft boat.

Nothing wrong with the engine, performs well, starts easily but can be a little on the noisy side.

My 'two penny worth', coming from an automotive rather than boating background would be - be wary about marinised car engines when you need serious 'grunt' - like travelling upstream on a fast moving river (?). Car engines have the wrong power band and the torque is delivered too far up the rev range. A marinised industrial engine or marinised tractor engine would, HP for HP, be a better bet in my mind.

Denis

My 'two penny worth', coming from an automotive rather than boating background would be - be wary about marinised car engines when you need serious 'grunt' - like travelling upstream on a fast moving river (?). Car engines have the wrong power band and the torque is delivered too far up the rev range. A marinised industrial engine or marinised tractor engine would, HP for HP, be a better bet in my mind.

Denis

21460[/snapback]

Denis.

One of the most successful engines over the years has been the BMC 1500 fitted in a million cars, vans and taxis over several decades, I always think what is desirable is the wide power band with useful horses from 1,000 to 3,000 rpm.

Equally it is that apparently effortless smooth nature that people have always liked.

Of the more modern engines the Kubota or Mitsubishi based jobs seem to be well sorted now. Power outputs 30 hp for a 40 ft boat up to 45 hp for a 70 ft seem generally about right.

I have a Thorneycroft conversion of a Mitsubishi 1500cc.

I am not sure what the original application of the engine was, but it works very well in the boat. Tickover is about 800, usual crusing is 1400 - 1800, Flat out is 2500.

7,000 hours just coming up and no problems to speak of.

Denis.

One of the most successful engines over the years has been the BMC 1500 fitted in a million cars, vans and taxis over several decades, I always think what is desirable is the wide power band with useful horses from 1,000 to 3,000 rpm.

Equally it is that apparently effortless smooth nature that people have always liked. 

Of the more modern engines the Kubota or Mitsubishi based jobs seem to be well sorted now.  Power outputs 30 hp for a 40 ft boat up to 45 hp for a 70 ft seem generally about right.

21472[/snapback]

John

The BMC is an old design engine, the new car engines are different, in their rev. range and power outputs. I believe that the Mitsubishi and Kubota are not conversions of car engines.

John

The BMC is an old design engine, the new car engines are different, in their rev. range and power outputs. I believe that the Mitsubishi and Kubota are not conversions of car engines.

21479[/snapback]

The Mitsubushi and Kubota engines are marinised industrial engines original designed to drive pumps, generators, etc, designed to run all day at low to mid range revs. Therefore ideal for use as a narrow boat engine.

I have recently talked about this with several builders and the general concensus seems to be that bigger doesn't always mean better. I'm getting a Beta 38 in a 53ft boat which would,I am told, also be OK with a 57ft boat. I was advised not to go up to the next size unless I wanted an electrolux or similar. Apparently an underworked engine with too big a prop won't go very slow even on tick over, they can also wear quicker and use more fuel too.

One thing I don't like is the basic panels which lack proper instrumentation. I don't think the £200 or so saving is enough to justify the lack of important information..

How much is a steam engine to buy/run?

To be totaly honest, i dont know, but its more thana diesal!

- And certainly required a LOT more time/attention. (we just spend 2.5 days on the boiler)

- On a daily basis, it get though 1or2 hundered weight of coal a day, which is not bad.

Daniel

If you want to go on tidal rivers, you certainly need something more than a little donkey engine - but don't go too large! Fuel consumption is a factor, and a big engine will use a lot even at low revs. About 1ltr per hour per litre engine capacity is the rule of thumb - so my 5ltr engine uses 5ltr per hour. That gets very expensive on long trips.

So my 5ltr engine uses 5ltr per hour.  That gets very expensive on long trips.

That accutlally quite a lot!

- at 35p a litter, a ten hour day would cost you... ...£17.50, per day.

9which is £122.50 for a week)

Daniel

gaggle

Go to http://www.betamarine.co.uk/ and peruse their site. They have a connection for canal engines that give graphs for power and fuel consumtion. you can choose the best for your situation.

P.s I'm having a 43 for my 60' I would think that either the 38 or 43 would suit, I like the more pwer as I shall be using mine on the river Severn quite often.

Edited by bottle

shire is the name of engine builder normally fits,any thoughts or comments re that make if possible.1st august delivery date if all goes to plan

Edited by gaggle

All the cheaper builders seem to use Isuzu.  I've a 35hp fitted in a 45ft boat.

Nothing wrong with the engine, performs well, starts easily but can be a little on the noisy side.

21453[/snapback]

I have an Isuzu on my 55ft boat and am extremely happy with it. I did opt to upgrade to the 42HP one which has coped fine with the Thames. In terms of engine noise - I even had someone ask me once about how many batteries my boat needed to run on: and they were serious! Turns out they couldn't hear the engine on tickover and thought I was electric. I have no extra insulation at all and don't find it noisy at all - the great thing about it is that having just completed 1800 hours cruising in just under 2 years, I get absolutely no smoke at all after start up - unlike some in my marina I could mention!!

I have a 57ft trad using a 37hp Beta marine with travelpower . This year we went up the avon in Bath after heavy rain , about half a mile against the current, to get back onto the K&A . The lockie reckoned the river was doing seven mph . I personally dont think it was but I bow to his superior knowledge [ he`s been there eighteen years] the engine handled it comfortably so why anyone would need anything bigger is beyond me .

Regards

Paul

If I can just add my input, I guess one needs to decide what you want from an engine. If you just want an engine which is out of sight and out of mind and not a showpiece, go for a Beta or an Izuzu. They are both marinised tractor engines and are very common and reliable.

We have a Greenline 43 on our boat and cannot fault it. Its easy to service yourself and the support is good. We have only heard good things about the Izuzu and production boat makers like Liverpool Boats fit them as standard.

Sizewise, 43HP is good for a 62ft, with plenty of power in reserve. If I had a 60ft, I'd still go for a 43 but if the boat was smaller than that, I would look at the 38HP.

Please bear in mind that most NB engines don't break into a sweat most of the time. If you go big, make sure your skin tanks can cope with the heat dissipation for high rev prolonged river runs if thats what you plan to do with the boat.

In summary, I feel that these two makers are the emerging market leaders now in the UK inland waterways market.

There's a 15HP Bolinder going on ebay at the moment. Now that's a real 'grunt' engine for you, with an exhaust note to die for....

But perhaps the direct reversing would be just a little too much like Russian roulette for me!

...But perhaps the direct reversing would be just a little too much like Russian roulette for me!

Nah, you soon get the hang of it.

- Makes the gearbox a fair bit simpler too!

- And 15BHP is more than enough for any narrowboat, there not ment to go fast.

If i was having a IC engine it would be somthing like a bolinder, or one of the old gas engines.

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

Some very interesting reading, only a couple of replies speaking of engines (including the steamer) I would compare to a Kelvin.

However if the engine is going under the back deck or under a box you walk over in a trad back then any of the modern marinised industrial units also mentioned will do, just don't expect to have to close your side hatches to stopped people wanting to talk to you about the big thing covered in brass and copper sitting in your engine room.

AND this is a lighted reply so I don't want any come back, I know as does our friend with the steamer vintage and unusual engines are not everyones cup of tea. Very nice to look at, but need lots of TLC (and Brasso) if not into vintage no good for you either.

david

I admire vintage engines immensley and equally so the owners that keep them in tip top order. Coming from an agricultural engineering background and a history of restoring vintage stationary engines my ultimate passion is to have one in a big traditional engine room, however circumstances and practicalities dictated otherwise at the moment!