portland basin

gaggle

Featured Posts

I've read through the whole of this topic now. I think it is safe to say that the following has been established:

1) People have different views on the basin - fair enough, each to their own.

2) There are 2 different kinds of people, the volunteers and the drunks.

3) John hasn't responded to this topic for a couple of days, lets let the the heat simmer down shall we?

4) Moderators do need to watch this topic, and will intervene where necessary.

Let's leave the personal stuff. Any more constructive additions to this debate?

I appreciate that Jon, but in all fairness has anyone questioned whether there are actually any "drunks" attached to WCBS or just beer drinkers minding their own business. I PM'd Graham earlier but you're worryingly close to sanctioning John's ill fouded judgements. Opinions are one thing but this is the third time, so I'm told, that John's has a crack at WCBS without sanction... Is a verbose insult not still an insult?

I appreciate "moderating" but your use of "drunks" doesn't seem particularly moderate when there's no evidence of that.

perhaps some of the LOCAL PEOPLE can shoot round there in the morning and take some up to date photo,s of the boats being discussed and post them here so we can all see the state of repair at the moment.

if the basin does give the impression of deriliction with the wooden boats and scrap metal and old bric a brac and the likes then it is hardly suprising that the area attracts some people that are less than welcome , if these people are congregating round the basin because it looks uncared for then it should be of concern for any boaters who may pass that way.

it does not matter one way ot the other if the boats there are wooden or not , if metal boats were there piled high with pallets,old bread trays and scrap metal they would still give out the message , who cares.

The boats don't attract the ne'er do wells. It's the availability of Asda beer that brings them and benches to sit on. And there is only occasional trouble down there. It's quiet most of the time. It's ludicrous to suggest that a few boats with stuff in them on the other side from the tow-path are attracting the 'wrong sort'. I've got a green at the end of my street and people congregate there. Maybe it's because my front door needs painting.

I have said it before and I'll say it again (yawn) the boats are worked and you will see some recyclable materials on them. It changes from day-to-day because stock and metal is moved on to be sold. It's a very lucrative way of funding the society.

I should also mention that one of the reasons visiting posh boats don't get bothered so much down there is because we're there. We are very active in terms of protecting other people's property as well as our own.

perhaps some of the LOCAL PEOPLE can shoot round there in the morning

Lord, I thought you said shoot em in the morning the first time I read this. lol! I'm getting a persecution complex. As well as being very unpleasant and odd looking to boot.

Oh flippin' eck. Photograph what you like. We still won't agree with each other. I will continue to recycle (by boat) till I drop. There's the issue of the planet and waste you see....but that's another subject!

Edited by madrilin

I appreciate that Jon, but in all fairness has anyone questioned whether there are actually any "drunks" attached to WCBS or just beer drinkers minding their own business. I PM'd Graham earlier but you're worryingly close to sanctioning John's ill fouded judgements. Opinions are one thing but this is the third time, so I'm told, that John's has a crack at WCBS without sanction... Is a verbose insult not still an insult?

I appreciate "moderating" but your use of "drunks" doesn't seem particularly moderate when there's no evidence of that.

read that a a post!

Edited by Smelly

I was at the Braunston Historic Gathering, this year, Loads of scruffy looking boats, with scruffy looking ne'er do wells, some of them drinking beer.

Surely they should close down this den of vice and drunkeness!

There were loads of boats, there, that weren't being worked on, too!

And don't get me started on those strangely dressed fellows, in their silly hats, that could only be described as a "gang, carrying offensive weapons", trying to hit each other, with sticks.

And when are we going to ban hire boats?

I've often seen alcoholics, sat on the cabin roof, with their cans of l*g*r. Obviously Jakeys looking for their next can of Superbrew!

so portland basin and its facilities are private then.

no one should moor on the wharf side "without permission" but if desperate for water you can be allowed to put the nose of your boat in and risk injury getting off to fill your tank.

thats cleared that up.

My garden is private property and has railings with those lovely leaf shaped ( if rusty) cast iron spikes in the top.

People if desperate are quite welcome to get water from the tap inside my garden but if they injure themselves climbing over the rusty spikes that really is their problem not mine. :lol:

no one should moor on the wharf side "without permission" but if desperate for water you can be allowed to put the nose of your boat in and risk injury getting off to fill your tank.

thats cleared that up.

Yes,that seems to sum it up.

As I said before, there is a problem, in that on the entire Lower Peak Forest/Upper Ashton pound, there is only one public waterpoint.

The fact that some owners of private waterpoints permit their use;

1. Doesn't create a right
  2. will probably end, just as soon as somebody starts stamping their feet about access to the WP

For reference, we have a private WP as well, and we do occasionally allow other boaters to use it, but it sure as hell isn't their right to do so (particularly as the water is on a meter, and we pay for it!)

thats cleared that up.

Sounds fair enough to me. More than fair, really.

thats cleared that up.

Well, yes. That's what I wrote 100 posts ago. I thought I had cleared it up then.

Didn't you see that post?

Cheers Ike, what sort of state is Walsall Queen in specifically. When I saw her raised a few years ago she seemed badly hogged, is there any timber left in her that doesnt need replacing?
Sorry about the late reply, I've been a bit busy at work recently. She is indeed quite badly hogged. In 2002 the sides were completely sheathed in galvanised steel, a more complete description of which can be found here. Our main priority at the moment is ensuring she doesn't deteriorate further and that her shape is maintained to make the eventual restoration as close to the original as possible.

the nearby population regard it [Portland Basin] as a trouble spot and a place to be avoided,
This is a problem faced down much of the Ashton canal as well as others in the area and I find your suggestion that it's caused or at least encouraged by the scruffiness of the boats quite ridiculous. The basin is located within walking distance of a busy town center yet just far enough away as to not be covered by CCTV or regular police and community support officer patrols. As others have suggested there is a local supermarket a few minutes walk away which sells discounted alcohol and plenty of places to sit and hang around.

The society boat sitters regularly get praise from local residents for discouraging anti-social behavior and society member regularly fish things out of the cut that have been thrown their by local vandals. A favorite at the moment seems to be throwing shopping trolleys from the bridge over the start of the Peak Forrest which not only poses a hazard to boats but also children who swim in the basin during hot weather.

no one should moor on the wharf side "without permission"

Correct.

but if desperate for water you can be allowed to put the nose of your boat in and risk injury getting off to fill your tank.
Why do you say risk injury? I've seen this method used many many times by people of all abilities and never have I seen what I'd consider to be a dangerous practice taking place. In fact the Huddersfield Narrow Canal Society regularly fill up Still Waters this way which would suggest the practice has been risk assessed by them and found to be acceptable. Edited by Ike

You misunderstand me. I've never been there or even heard of WCBS before this thread, however I was making a point that there is clearly a distinction between WCBS volunteers, and those general 'drunks' (using the same word that has been banded about in this thread) who are in no way realted to WCBS who happen to frequent the same area. That was the point I was trying to make.

As for last years thread, I obviously haven't seen that one.

In light of the other topic here I'm going to close this thread to prevent duplication.