Where's Rosie & Jim's narrowboat?

twocvbloke

Featured Posts

So that's two famous boats which used to be on TV then... Harmony (The Travelling Man in the early 80's) and now Ragdoll, obviously the Rosie & Jim boat.

Think of any others, such as the ones out of The Bargee?

So that's two famous boats which used to be on TV then... Harmony (The Travelling Man in the early 80's) and now Ragdoll, obviously the Rosie & Jim boat.

The one that featured in Rainbow, I'll just go look it up on YouTube.... :lol:

The one that featured in Rainbow, I'll just go look it up on YouTube.... :lol:

Part one - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bvx8ok5Fbg

Part two - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uGOjqSmDQpQ

I can't believe how cheesy it was, and I used to watch it!!! :lol:

such as the ones out of The Bargee?

Banstead and Bellerophon, I think were the "stars", although many others featured.

I've seen Banstead somewhere recently, (London, maybe ?), and it's signwriting makes clear it's involvement with the film.

I've been trying to remember a 1970s TV series called "Gangsters", which was based in Brum.

I'm sure it made fairly heavy use of the canals, including one of the main players living on a boat, but my mind is too jaded to remember the details.

Bellerophon, the butty, became the horse drawn trip boat "Iona" which now operates from Godalming Wharf.

See their website

seems it also appeared in Coronation Street!

Looking further down that page you can see other towing jobs the horses have done, including pulling "Australia", disguised as the Pickfords boat "Barbara Bray", in the Inspector Morse episode The Wench is Dead

Romulus - Georgie Andrews boat doubled up as the home of a character on Crossroads for a few years back in the 70's

There was the Town class motor Barnham that appeared on a video back in the late 80's Perfect I think was the song.

I got this e-mail back from Ragdoll, and I felt quite sad when it mentioned "no plans to return her to the waterways":

Hi David

Thank you for your email regarding the Rosie and Jim narrow boat. The Ragdoll is currently in dry dock and at present there are no plans to return her to the waterways. However keep your eye on our website www.ragdoll.co.uk for any updates.

Kind Regards,

Emily

From the Info Team

:lol:

I wonder if she'll be sold on... :lol:

I got this e-mail back from Ragdoll, and I felt quite sad when it mentioned "no plans to return her to the waterways":

Hi David

Thank you for your email regarding the Rosie and Jim narrow boat. The Ragdoll is currently in dry dock and at present there are no plans to return her to the waterways. However keep your eye on our website www.ragdoll.co.uk for any updates.

Kind Regards,

Emily

From the Info Team

:lol:

I wonder if she'll be sold on... :lol:

I think thats someone being clever and they are talking about the programme rather than the boat.

Could this be a good time for the dawn of the Canal World Adopt-A-Boat programme?

Id rather adopt USK and save a historic boat than a shiny toob anyone will willingly buy and use.

I think thats someone being clever and they are talking about the programme rather than the boat.

You could be right, but I think the programme's been in "drydock" for some time now and there's little chance of getting it back, unless it's through repeats (which I wouldn't be averse to), I just think that "real life" programmes are better than those set in some fantasy land where nobody can speak properly, leaving kids wittering away in some jibberish until they go to school to find out that English sounds very different to that rubbish they see on TV... :lol:

Sorry, went on a bit of a rant there... :lol:

You could be right, but I think the programme's been in "drydock" for some time now and there's little chance of getting it back, unless it's through repeats (which I wouldn't be averse to), I just think that "real life" programmes are better than those set in some fantasy land where nobody can speak properly, leaving kids wittering away in some jibberish until they go to school to find out that English sounds very different to that rubbish they see on TV... :lol:

Sorry, went on a bit of a rant there... :lol:

I wouldn't be too hasty: Bill and Ben did me no harm when I was an infant, in fact I still talk like them when I'm pissed. They liked a little weed too.

fpm_and_weed.jpg

Edited by Guest

I just think that "real life" programmes are better than those set in some fantasy land where nobody can speak properly..............................

I'm surprised our resident Clangers fan has not popped up to defend them, as well!........

On the other hand, we know 'Pingu' is out cruising....

(It's kind of incredible that kids learn to talk at all, isn't it!.....)

Edited by alan_fincher

I wouldn't be too hasty: Bill and Ben did me no harm when I was an infant, in fact I still talk like them when I'm pissed. They liked a little weed too.

fpm_and_weed.jpg

Their flobber language was the noise made when you fart in the bath which the original creator called a flobber. The modern ones use is as a swear word and in that series the worm in the muck has a Ken Livingstone like voice. Unfortunately like the modern Andy Pandy, The Little Weed is a real smart arse!

Their flobber language was the noise made when you fart in the bath which the original creator called a flobber. The modern ones use is as a swear word and in that series the worm in the muck has a Ken Livingstone like voice. Unfortunately like the modern Andy Pandy, The Little Weed is a real smart arse!

I can see that about the fart in the bath. Puts me in mind of the old joke "Warder Bardle Werble." Somewhere I have an original series of Bill and Ben on a video tape, black and white of course, will have to check out the voices.

• 13 years later...

Yes my step mum spoke to them, it’s the original one and only Ragdoll. She would have got all the history of it if what happened after filming, but I haven’t seen her to hear all about it yet, recovering from Covid, but I’ll be sure to post my findings when I do. I was just googling and seeing if anyone else had recent pictures and stumbled across this thread. I was a little addicted in my younger years. Xx

• Greenie 2

Thanks for sharing this, funnily enough I had my first season DVD out just yesterday to have on in the background while doing cross stitch and while it was on we noticed you could see the registration number clearly in a few spots, I think it was 47116.  Do share any more information when you can get it, and hope your Covid recovery isn’t too prolonged.  We’re occasionally down in Kent to see the in-laws so might see if we can detour and try to spot her next time we’re there…! 

On 26/08/2008 at 21:57, Stephen Sugg said:

I am curious as to why some boats (like Rag Doll) don't have much freeboard.

There was a post on here recently (which I don't know how to find) if memory serves,said the average distance from baseplate to gunwale is 2'-6" (or was it 3'-6")

The reason I am asking is because I am shortly going to view a boat properly that looks rather low in the water.The stated draught of this boat is 2'-9".

I would post a link,but I don't want someone on here diving in first!

Any thoughts welcome.

10 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

There was a post on here recently (which I don't know how to find) if memory serves,said the average distance from baseplate to gunwale is 2'-6" (or was it 3'-6")

The reason I am asking is because I am shortly going to view a boat properly that looks rather low in the water.The stated draught of this boat is 2'-9".

If it's only got 2'6" hull depth and it's drawing 2'9" it's sunk!

43 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I would post a link,but I don't want someone on here diving in first!

Any thoughts welcome.

You're basically asking why people build boats with a hull that's more in the water than out of the water, something that I feel might only ever get asked on a canal forum.

Canal boats don't require a lot of freeboard seeing as they are designed for still - or at least relatively still - waters. If you're not going to load a boat with 25 tonnes of coal and metal it doesn't need to sit high out of the water in it's natural state.

I can only assume modern leisure boats are built with two thirds of the hull out of the water either to mimic the early leisure boats converted from working boats or more likely as a means of creating internal headroom without producing something that looks daft.

My boat has 3' deep side plates and is designed to sit 24" in the water and 12" out with a full load and ballast, so it has very low freeboard. It tends to sit an inch or two above that naturally. The entire boat is only 6' 8" tall from baseplate to top of handrail and the internal headroom is 5' 10". That would be a bit low for many which emphasises why perhaps some boats have deeper hulls but I think there are many that don't have a particularly canal friendly profile either above or below the water as a result.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 3

45 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Our first boat 'Octavia' was low-slung like that. I used to tell people that it was the sports model. They generally looked nonplussed.

I think it's more common on so-called "tugs", perhaps to give them a sleek, rakish look, and, if you look at the side view of Rag Doll, she does have tuggish tendencies.

Edited by Athy