Dusk Till Dawn maiden voyage!

stuart

Featured Posts

Hi all.

The planned completion date (for myself fitout) is August 2005. Hopefully by this time all the essential items are plumbed/connected and leak free!

We are planning a cruise and snagging trip to Llangollen from Black Country Museum (on the BCN).

The route is split into a weekend and then a full week. The first weekend will be to move the boat a bit nearer to our destination so there is not a rush on the full week and I can still have a holiday without worrying about keeping time. Also gives me a week to fix any problems found on the weekend.

The expected cruise route is like this:

Sat August 20th - "Black Country Museum" to "Black Delph Bridge" on BCN/Stourbridge Canal. According to router planner total 9.51 miles, 12 locks taking 5 hours, 37 minutes.

Sun August 21st - "Black Delph Bridge" to Ashwood Basin on Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal (Main Line: Stourton to Aldersley). Total 7.62 miles, 22 locks - 6 hours, 13 minutes.

Now the boat will stop here for the week until Sat. 27th August before the big adventure starts!

I'm not planning on doing much cooking and would like to have a rest and beer in the evening so can you suggest good overnight stops for the rest of the journey. The planner suggests theses stops so if theres anywhere near (pubs, curry houses etc.) worth trying or if you can suggest a better stop please tell me!

This is calculated based on 6 full days travelling.

Trip starts on Saturday the 27th of August, 2005 and lasts 6 days

Each full day will be approximately 8 hours and 34 minutes cruising

** Saturday the 27th of August, 2005 [First day of trip]

(sunrise is 6:10 AM, sunset is 8:08 PM)

On the Shropshire Union Canal (Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal) at

Lower Hattons Bridge No 6 (13.60 miles and 17 locks)

** Sunday the 28th of August, 2005 [second day of trip] (sunrise is 6:13 AM, sunset is 8:07 PM) On the Shropshire Union Canal (Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal) at

Cheswardine Bridge No 56 (21.12 miles and 1 lock)

** Monday the 29th of August, 2005 [Third day of trip] (sunrise is 6:14 AM, sunset is 8:05 PM) On the Shropshire Union Canal (Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal) at

Coole Lane Bridge No 82 (11.63 miles and 25 locks)

** Tuesday the 30th of August, 2005 [Fourth day of trip] (sunrise is 6:17 AM, sunset is 8:04 PM) On the Shropshire Union Canal (Llangollen Canal - Main Line) at

Quoisley Bridge No 25 (15.49 miles and 12 locks)

** Wednesday the 31st of August, 2005 [Fifth day of trip] (sunrise is 6:19 AM, sunset is 8:02 PM) On the Shropshire Union Canal (Llangollen Canal - Main Line) at

Ellesmere Tunnel (West end) (14.94 miles and 9 locks)

** Thursday the 1st of September, 2005 [sixth day of trip] (sunrise is 6:22 AM, sunset is 8:01 PM) On the Shropshire Union Canal (Llangollen Canal - Main Line) at

Llangollen (20.19 miles and 2 locks)

Thanks for your help! :blush:

Edited by stuart

As far as pubs go, there is nothing for miles around at coole lane bridge, but there are some reasonable watering holes a couple of miles south at Audlem. Moor up by the Shroppie fly if room and you have the choice of that or the Bridge.

for the quoisley stop, you are only a mile short of Willeymoor lock, with a pub right on the lock. Good atmosphere and good food.

Ellesmere & Llangollen both have a wide range of places to choose from.

Stuart.

Use your plan as a target sort of guide, but both the Shropie' and the Llangollen have lots of long remote stretches, you have given yourself a succession of quite long days. Cruise for 7 hours and then think about a mooring for the night, you will be passing lots of nice places but they are well spread out.

On the Llangollen, Wrenbury and Ellesmere are good places

Stuart.

Use your plan as a target sort of guide, but both the Shropie' and the Llangollen have lots of long remote stretches, you have given yourself a succession of quite long days.  Cruise for 7 hours and then think about a mooring for the night, you will be passing lots of nice places but they are well spread out.

On the Llangollen, Wrenbury and Ellesmere are good places

21331[/snapback]

Although the trip is calculated from sat-thursday I dont need to be back home till the Sunday so I've got plenty of time to stop at nice places and have a beer or three!

I'm not doing the return journey myself.

Stu.