Local Rules

GRPCruiserman

Featured Posts

Just have a look at the following:

https://mooringtenders.waterscape.com/searc...ails.php?id=388

and click on the 'View the local rules' hyperlink.

Scroll down to the bit about 4. Condition of Boats.

Now tell me that British Waterways do not wish to control what kind of craft use the waterways!!

I've had boats that would NEVER have complied with most of these conditions.

Why don't they just put: Shiney Narrow Boats without outboards only!!

Have to have a RUDDER now!! Outboards Outlawed.

I know these are LOCAL rules but it's the thin end of the wedge. The Moorings 'Trial' seems to be going on for a long time and extends to every area now, I bet you can't go on a waiting list at all now.

Sorry for shouting, but unless you're rich, you can't use the canals any more.

:lol:

I agree - nowt on the roof except essential boating equipment such as barge poles? So no pretty pots of flowers then?

You are also a bit stuck if you have a Narrow Boat thinking about it, because that would have a Narrow Boat Pole, not a Barge Pole. Also if you are not allowed your Satellite Dish/TV Aerial on the bank, or on the roof, where do you put it? Or are you not allowed TV either.

Edited by GRPCruiserman

The Moorings 'Trial' seems to be going on for a long time and extends to every area now, I bet you can't go on a waiting list at all now.

You can't I emailed to ask - and was informed that even though the trail was intended to end in October, that no waiting lists are to be compiled, as they are unsure how they will proceed after the consultation period. So basically, the mooring tender system will continue (well that's how I read the response).

I wish people would not post these long and complex links on the forum, the paragraphs are all numbered so I can't see why the poster could not indicate the particular ones he wants to draw our attention to..

I have skimmed through the document and quite honestly I can't find anything to which I would take exception to.. I for one would not like to live in any community and here someone say:

"Do what you like in this place mate, let your kids run wild, if you buy a new gas cooker just dump the old one in the front garden, we don't care".

Rules are part of our society and I would not like to live without a few of them.

Edited by John Orentas

I wish people would not post these long and complex links on the forum, the paragraphs are all numbered so I can't see why the poster could not indicate the particular ones he wants to

these are the local rules....

RULES:

1. Occupation of the Boat:

You must not live permanently on board the Boat and you must not allow or encourage another

person(s) to do so.

2. Access and security access keys:

2.1 Access to the Mooring is via locked gates off Garstang Road, Bilsborrow, PR3 0RE

2.2. Keys to the access gates can be purchased from BW at Waterside House, Waterside Drive,

Wigan, WN3 5AZ.

2.3 You must ensure that the access gates are kept securely locked at all times by using a

BW handcuff key

3. Vehicles & Parking

3.1 There is no British Waterways parking provided with the Mooring Site.

4. Condition of Boats

4.1 The Boat must possess the attributes of motion i.e. recognisable bow and stern, gunwales and

rudder.

4.2 The Boat must be kept clean and tidy and in reasonable repair at all times whilst moored at the

Mooring Site. Paintwork must also be maintained to a high standard.

4.3 If the Boat is damaged, any repairs must be carried out as soon as possible.

4.4 You must not leave or store anything on the roof of the Boat other than essential boating

equipment such as gang planks and barge poles.

5. Moorings

5.1 You must notify the Mooring Co-ordinator of any period when the Boat will be away from the

Mooring for longer than 28 days.

5.2 You must use appropriate fenders and ropes at all times for mooring the Boat.

5.3 If the Boat comes loose from the Mooring, we may board the Boat in order to secure it. We will

not be liable for any damage to the Boat arising as a result of our actions save where such

damage is caused by our negligence.

5.4 Overnight mooring of visiting boats is not permitted.

5.5 Short term mooring for delivery of fuel is permitted provided the Mooring Site is not obstructed

in any way.

6. Operating the Boat

6.1 When entering, leaving or manoeuvring within the Mooring Site, you must not navigate the

Boat in such a manner as to endanger or inconvenience other boats. If manoeuvring the Boat

in hours of darkness cannot be avoided then lights must be used. The Boat is at all times

subject to the speed restriction(s) set out in our bye-laws.

6.2 You must notify the Mooring Co-ordinator immediately of any underwater obstructions.

6.3 You must not use any electricity generator, including the Boat’s engine (save for the purpose of

moving the Boat), at the Mooring Site between 8pm and 8am.

6.3.1 Silent wind generators may be fixed to the roof of the Boat subject to the Mooring Co-

ordinator’s written approval, which shall not be unreasonably withheld.

7. Works

7.1 Save for minor running repairs or minor maintenance works of a routine nature, you must not

carry out any work to the Boat at the Mooring Site without the Mooring Co-ordinator’s prior

written consent.

7.2 When carrying out any repairs/works, you must ensure that all our facilities, bollards, pathways,

service points etc are adequately and suitably protected, kept clean and tidy at all times.

7.3 You must ensure that all contractors entering the Mooring Site have adequate public liability

insurance in place and we reserve the right to inspect it. Contractors must also have relevant

competency certificates.

7.3.1 Contractors must supply you with risk assessments and method statements in advance

of carrying out any repairs/works and we reserve the right to inspect them.

7.3.3 If contractors are visiting the Mooring Site, you must ensure that they report to the

Mooring Co-ordinator upon their arrival.

7.4 You agree to indemnify us in full for and against any and all loss, damage or liability (including

all legal fees and costs) incurred by us as a result of your repairs/works.

7.5 You must not carry out any works to the Mooring Site without the prior written consent of the

Mooring Co-ordinator

8. Health and Safety and Fire Precautions

8.1 You must comply with all relevant health and safety regulations, codes of practice and any

health and safety guidance issued by us whilst at the Mooring Site.

8.2 You must take all necessary precautions against the outbreak of fire in or upon the Boat and

you must observe the statutory and local regulations relating to fire prevention including the

current Boat Safety Scheme requirements.

8.3 You must not trail any cables, ropes, wires etc across or on any pathway. Items should not be

left on the towpath which may cause injury to any person.

8.4 You must immediately inform the Mooring Co-ordinator of any spillage of oil, paint or any other

pollutant.

8.4.1. You must take such steps as are reasonably practicable in the circumstances to

minimise the spread of pollutant and warn other users of the Mooring Site of the

problem.

8.5 Barbecues must be carefully controlled and not left unattended at any time. It is your

responsibility to ensure they are properly extinguished and the area left clean and tidy.

9. Bathing or Fishing

9.1 Bathing or fishing in the waters of the Mooring Site is not permitted.

9.2 Young children must wear life jackets and be attended by a responsible adult at all times whilst

at the Mooring Site.

10. Use of the Facilities

10.1 Facilities can be accessed by using a BW key.

11. Refuelling

11.1 Refuelling within the Mooring Site is only permitted by our licensed trading boats.

12. Disposal/Discharge

12.1 You must not discharge anything (including human waste) from the Boat into the waters of the

Mooring Site except unpolluted surface water that drains naturally or water from sinks or

showers on board the Boat.

12.2 No refuse (including human waste) of any kind must be thrown overboard or left at the Mooring

Site.

12.3 You must dispose of domestic waste in the appropriate receptacles provided by us at Bilsborrow

Service Station or the local authority. Temporary waste storage containers or bin bags must not

be stored at the Mooring Site.

12.4 You must dispose of human waste in the nearest sanitary appliance/facility available to you or in

accordance with our written instructions.

12.5 You must not use sea toilets at the Mooring Site.

12.6 You must use bio-degradable soaps and detergents on the Boat.

12.7 We are not responsible for the disposing of your appliances, batteries, oil, paint, gas bottles or

materials/waste resulting from your repairs/works and you must dispose of them.

13. Storage

13.1 Each customer will be given the option to purchase one storage box and must be no larger than

(H) 2' x (W) 4'1" x (D) 1'9". These boxes to be located next to the boats. These are the

guidelines provided to all NW mooring customers and is appropriate for a non-residential

mooring site.

13.2 Any fuel or combustible materials on board the Boat must be stored in accordance with the

relevant regulations and standards.

14. Nuisance

14.1 You must not do (or carelessly fail to do) anything at the Mooring Site which will cause damage

or nuisance to any other person or their property. You accept responsibility for any such

damage or nuisance caused by you, other occupants or users of the Boat or your visitors or

contractors. You will not be responsible for events that are outside your control.

15. Animals

15.1 You must not keep animals other than domestic pets at the Mooring Site. Any domestic pets

must be kept under proper control at all times (and in the case of dogs on a lead) and must not

cause nuisance to other moorers or users of the Mooring Site.

15.1.1 You must clear up their mess and place it in an appropriate bin.

16. General

16.1 You must not deface or alter the licence and mooring permit issued by us.

16.2 You are allowed to use tarpaulins and Boat covers on a temporary basis but they must be fitted

in such a way that your licence and mooring permit is still visible.

16.3 Television aerials and satellite dishes must not be erected on the Mooring Site.

16.4 Washing lines must not be erected on the Mooring Site.

16.5 The Mooring Co-ordinator reserves the right to refuse admission to third parties to the Mooring

Site.

16.6 You agree not to sell the Boat or advertise it for sale whilst it is moored at the Mooring Site,

without the Mooring Co-ordinator’s prior written consent.

16.7 There is no postal address for this Mooring Site as it is Non – Residential.

16.8 You must provide the Mooring Co-ordinator with emergency contact details (and keep them up

to date) so that we can contact you or another nominated person at short notice.

16.9 Any enquiries or issues relating to the Mooring Site should be raised with the Mooring Co-

ordinator at the address below.

"Don't waste words" it says on your signature, that sort of cutting and pasting, I usually put down to laziness..

Do you really object to all of those rules, I find some of them a little odd, but reading between the lines I can see what they are getting at in every case.. People should complain about such rules only if they are enforced in an unreasonable or excessively authoritative manner..

The deeds of my house tell me that I must not change the colour of the paintwork, but I and other sensible people know very well that as long as I don't use day-glow pink and orange together no one will bother.

'Oh my God' have I sent the last 20 minutes defending BW.. I think I will go and lie down for a while.

"Don't waste words" it says on your signature, that sort of cutting and pasting, I usually put down to laziness..

it;s a quote, I might not agree with it - but i like it, and the person who was supposed to have written it...

well you did mention that people put up complicated links - so I thought I'd make it easier for other people so they could find the rules that were mentioned. - no pleasing some people. :lol:

Edited by grahoom

I reckon my trays of firewood and solar panel count as essential boating equipment! I'd be cowd while boating without 'em...

I reckon there's some nasty Parish Councillor somewhere on the planning committee saying "we don't want those scruffy hippy boats in our village!" I wouldn't put the blame at BW's door. Well, yet, anyway.

£913 isn't bad though.

I wish people would not post these long and complex links on the forum, the paragraphs are all numbered so I can't see why the poster could not indicate the particular ones he wants to draw our attention to..

I have skimmed through the document and quite honestly I can't find anything to which I would take exception to.. I for one would not like to live in any community and here someone say:

"Do what you like in this place mate, let your kids run wild, if you buy a new gas cooker just dump the old one in the front garden, we don't care".

Rules are part of our society and I would not like to live without a few of them.

I've no objection to fair rules, but it strikes me that a non-boating employee has written this who has never had to survive on a shoostring and who wants all boaters to have very shiney boats to look pretty.

I've never paid personally more than £900 for any of the boats I ever owned and always complied with all Boat Safety and other rules, was always licenced and insured, and always enjoyed the canals.

When the costs went up, we as a family moved to other waterways which are often free to use in this area, or at least very cheap, but still have rules and laws, including speed limits etc which I always comply with.

I did, hoever, generally like to watch TV on the boat, and my boats were never the most shiney, but they were not offensive, were not dangerous, and always were insured, licenced, and complient in every way.

To start to regulate the 'condition' of the paint on one's craft, and to insist it has a rudder (my boats were always outboard powered so had no rudder), is going a bit far, and my point is that these are currently 'local' rules, but the mooring tender scheme was 'local' at first until it's just grown, so this could be the start of the next episode.

The Barge/Narrow Boat pole remark was a bit tongue in cheek.

The condition of paint is very objective anyway; does the reflectivity have to be measured? What is fine for me may be not shiney enough for another person.

It's just not good.

I have no objection to rules about litter, dog fouling etc, by the way, and it would not be unreasonable with regards to the leaving of cookers, old fridges,etc, just the 'shineyness' and 'rudder' bit. That's why I said paragraph 4.

Edited by GRPCruiserman

Congratulations Cruiserman, you are the first to attempt the derogatory "a non-boating employee ".. Don't know where the employee bit comes from though.

I'll tell you what, you refrain from the ex-boater know all line, and I will do the same with the novice boater stuff.

Congratulations Cruiserman, you are the first to attempt the derogatory "a non-boating employee ".. Don't know where the employee bit comes from though.

I'll tell you what, you refrain from the ex-boater know all line, and I will do the same with the novice boater stuff.

I meant non-boating BWB employee who thinks all Narrow Boats and broad beams are 'barges' therefore 'Barge Pole'.

I am still a boater, not just full time canals like before, more diversifying across many waterways including canals sometimes on a day out basis, but with the cost of day licences increasing (there I go again) it's just cheaper to go to the Lakes or The River Wyre or somewhere where the cost is minimal.

I'll dig my canon out.

Don't they make Cameras?

...The condition of paint is very objective anyway; does the reflectivity have to be measured? What is fine for me may be not shiney enough for another person.

It's just not good.

I agree to be honest. I think its all actaully very sad.

Our family has been going to Salcombe for over fourty years, me for over a decade, and thats going the same way.

- Its become 'fashionable' so in come all the Rars with there disco threes and puplic school children parading around like they own the place.

- The locals and local bussineses are beeing forced out, and its just become a big upmarket butlins come clothing outlet full of snobby gits.

Generalise slightly, but not much. To give an example, the only sailmaker in the area is now 20miles outside of the town.

- The cakeshop, and the general store, and the post office, and the electrical shop, and one of two butchers (to name only half) are now all clothes shops. Even the only remaining hotel, origanally built in 1839 is now to be flattened and turned into apparments and a mini hotel.

I digress, but maybe a simularity exists.

- Coincidently, we've said for years the salcombe bubble will burst, although it hasnt yet. And only yesterday i was reading another artical about boat building (canals) going down badly, the mass of second hand boats. And the like. Maybe for canal things the came around are already going around. Life cycals!!

Not at all sure about reflectivty of our paint eather. Or "If the Boat is damaged, any repairs must be carried out as soon as possible" define that Mr Cheese. Certainly on our boat 'as soon as possable' could be a decade with some damage repair work.

Has anyone heard of (excuse the pun) a silent wind generator?

Daniel

If people didn't have to buy keys, they'd be asking for replacements every week.

I may be wrong, but I am almost certain every marina on the network has similar stipulations regarding the condition and maintenance (cosmetically as well as mechanically) of boats on tender.

Finally, this sort of jobsworth legislation-o-mania is entirely what the socio-fascists we have all been re-electing/indifferent to are all about and have been for the last decade.

One thing they forget, which ordinary folk can't help but notice, is that you can make everything an offense, breach of contract, gross misconduct etc. But unless you have someone to enforce it, its all just meaningless political dogma and headline fodder.

Targets, league tables, ASBOS etc. All symptoms of the socio-fascist agenda. BW's are the archetypal Blairite institution; all mouth and no trousers.

Don't worry about it. Just vote right, don't read the Daily Mail or the Telegraph and continue to treat people with respect where you find it. World keeps turning. :lol:

- Hobs

If people didn't have to buy keys, they'd be asking for replacements every week.

I may be wrong, but I am almost certain every marina on the network has similar stipulations regarding the condition and maintenance (cosmetically as well as mechanically) of boats on tender.

Finally, this sort of jobsworth legislation-o-mania is entirely what the socio-fascists we have all been re-electing/indifferent to are all about and have been for the last decade.

One thing they forget, which ordinary folk can't help but notice, is that you can make everything an offense, breach of contract, gross misconduct etc. But unless you have someone to enforce it, its all just meaningless political dogma and headline fodder.

Targets, league tables, ASBOS etc. All symptoms of the socio-fascist agenda. BW's are the archetypal Blairite institution; all mouth and no trousers.

Don't worry about it. Just vote right, don't read the Daily Mail or the Telegraph and continue to treat people with respect where you find it. World keeps turning. :lol:

- Hobs

Regards to marinas, that's one of the reasons I'd never go in a marina, apart from the cost of course, the nearest I've been to that is short stays in boatyards and marinas with no such stipulations.

Rules ARE quite vigorously enforced on The Lancaster Canal, there are full time enforcement wardens, in most cases quite rightly so, as we get many visitors from the main system, boats tend to be left on visitors moorings for long periods and the £10 a day over the 14 day rule is quite vigorously enforced.

Vote with your feet I say (or your oars/sails/engine) and moor where there are fairer rules, and use waterways that are non-BW; we have plenty in the North West. It's a shame, though, as I used to like using the canals as I did every weekend.

"The Boat must possess the attributes of motion i.e. recognisable bow and stern, gunwales and

rudder"

:lol: possess the attributes of motion :lol::lol:

interesting that a butty would be disallowed as they do not have gunwales

Also interesting that the first thing is that you aren't allowed to live on the boat on the mooring

what a load of ...............

thanks for pasting the relevant text onto this site Grahoom

I reckon you'd be okay with an outboard powered boat if you stick an 'addarudder' on it :lol:

"The Boat must possess the attributes of motion i.e. recognisable bow and stern, gunwales and

rudder"

Also interesting that the first thing is that you aren't allowed to live on the boat on the mooring

I reckon you'd be okay with an outboard powered boat if you stick an 'addarudder' on it :lol:

I wonder when staying on the boat becomes living?? I presume you can stay the odd night or do you have to move over on to the visitors' moorings opposite to sleep and take up valuable space there?

You only need the rudder whilst you are actually on the mooring, I suppose, so you could fit a gudgeon and pintle like on a sailing boat, and fit the rudder whilst on the mooring then remove it when you move off and use the outboard, or just let it 'flap about'.

With regards to the gunwhales on a Butty, again, you could fit removable ones whilst on the mooring, then remove them when you move off for a cruise.

In fact, you could do this with almost anything, even the flower pots which have been outlawed by the rules could be stored in the cratch or rear deck and then moved to the roof when you move off; in fact when does the roof become the Hard Top on a cruiser? I used to keep a mop on mine but I suppose that could be a cruising ancilliary, especially as they want shiney paintwork.

Or you could just moor somewhere else I suppose.

Or you could write to BW and explain that they're full of poo.

The paint rule is the most worrying in my book. in effect they could push the "scruffier" boats off the water by using the paint rule to deny them a mooring then revoke the boats licence and remove it. While a private marina can have rules like this, for BW to have the same is dangerous.

The stuff on the cabin roof rule is also a bit crap, I keep my tender on the cabin roof, does that qualify? as others have said what about plants etc?

forget the rest, most is comon sense and the attributes of motion rule is frankly stupid. Just keep a small dingy rudder in a locker.

rudder"

Living on the boat may be one of the rules where a blind eye is turned but if BW don't have planning permission for residential you can be told to leave if anyone complains. I have known this happen on private moorings.

Sue