Internet access from a narrowboat.

Marc Hartley

Featured Posts

Hi everybody.

I have booked a build slot for a new narrowboat (woohoo!), so am in the process of specifying requirements.

Mobile broadband for a laptop PC is a definite, but know practically nothing about it.

I would be grateful for advice, as although I'm sure this topics has been raised many times, I can't find anything current.

First - do I need a PC card in the side of the PC to provide the access, or do I go for a separate router then connect to that via WiFi? Or something else?

Second - does a narrowboat need an external aerial? I think reception within a steel box must be a bit compromised?

Third - which mobile phone company do you recommend for internet access from canals in the midlands?

Any experiences or views gratefully received.

Thanks, Marc

Hi everybody.

I have booked a build slot for a new narrowboat (woohoo!), so am in the process of specifying requirements.

Mobile broadband for a laptop PC is a definite, but know practically nothing about it.

I would be grateful for advice, as although I'm sure this topics has been raised many times, I can't find anything current.

First - do I need a PC card in the side of the PC to provide the access, or do I go for a separate router then connect to that via WiFi? Or something else?

Second - does a narrowboat need an external aerial? I think reception within a steel box must be a bit compromised?

Third - which mobile phone company do you recommend for internet access from canals in the midlands?

Thanks, Marc

You've plenty to choose from - click for example. Lot of people seem to be buying the 3 dongle at the moment. Plugs straight into any USB 2.0 socket.

You could take the PC, dig a hole and bury it, then go out and buy a Mac :lol:

made__anim_sm.gif

You could take the PC, dig a hole and bury it, then go out and buy a Mac :lol:

made__anim_sm.gif

Hah!!!! :lol:

All you need to do is go to to a mobile phone shop, ask for the "3" mobile internet USB dongle, either PAYG or Contract is up to you, and then plug it into your laptop or PC (or if you have one, a Macbrick :lol: ) and off you go... :)

The PAYG one costs £49.99 to buy the dongle, but I think the Contract one is free, and of course there are "Fair usage" policies (I.E. don't download loads of DVDs and music tracks in one go), but if it's for web browsing, email and suchlike, it'll be fine... ;)

Also, you have to make sure you get a decent 3G signal, or it'll not work well, or may switch to a slower and more expensive HSCSD or GPRS or EDGE setup (don't ask me what they all mean, I haven't a clue!!!), but as I haven't used a moblie broadband dongle, I don't know what they do... ;)

And one last point, some ISPs will block you from sending e-mails from your email program if you use an internet connection other than theirs, so check whether you can access your e-mail through a web browser in order to reply or send e-mails... :o

Don't bother with a Mac, otherwise your wallet will suffer with Macs pain... :lol:

Hah!!!! :lol:

All you need to do is go to to a mobile phone shop, ask for the "3" mobile internet USB dongle, either PAYG or Contract is up to you, and then plug it into your laptop or PC (or if you have one, a Macbrick :lol: ) and off you go... :)

The PAYG one costs £49.99 to buy the dongle, but I think the Contract one is free, and of course there are "Fair usage" policies (I.E. don't download loads of DVDs and music tracks in one go), but if it's for web browsing, email and suchlike, it'll be fine... :lol:

Also, you have to make sure you get a decent 3G signal, or it'll not work well, or may switch to a slower and more expensive HSCSD or GPRS or EDGE setup (don't ask me what they all mean, I haven't a clue!!!), but as I haven't used a moblie broadband dongle, I don't know what they do... ;)

And one last point, some ISPs will block you from sending e-mails from your email program if you use an internet connection other than theirs, so check whether you can access your e-mail through a web browser in order to reply or send e-mails... ;)

Don't bother with a Mac, otherwise your wallet will suffer with Macs pain... :lol:

But Macs do work a lot better, and they are reassuringly expensive. :o

I use a mobile phone for emails mainly and if I want a larger screen I connect phone to laptop computer. I use Orange evening & weekends unlimited for £5 per month. I am hoping to change to Orange blackberry before the end of this month while it is £2.50 per month anytime. This way I have nothing extra to cart around when I leave the boat, just laptop & phone.

Sue

But Macs do work a lot better, and they are reassuringly expensive. :lol:

Until the next one comes out and it loses all value whatsoever and even Freecyclers won't take it... :lol:

I understand they have their uses in graphics design, video editing and other professional applications, but, they lack the open endedness like what the IBM-based PC has, so I'm sticking with me PCs and laptops... :lol:

(And I use Kubuntu Linux aswell as WindowsXP before the Windows is c@rp thing happens!!! Vista is superc@rp though!!! :lol: )

Until the next one comes out and it loses all value whatsoever and even Freecyclers won't take it... :lol:

I understand they have their uses in graphics design, video editing and other professional applications, but, they lack the open endedness like what the IBM-based PC has, so I'm sticking with me PCs and laptops... :lol:

(And I use Kubuntu Linux aswell as WindowsXP before the Windows is c@rp thing happens!!! Vista is superc@rp though!!! :lol: )

That obsolescence applies to all computers.

Windows is pretty bad though by comparison - all versions. You may have mastered Linux - but that is not for the vast majority of PC users. Still, I've used both a lot, and I wouldn't go back to PC.

Whatever

:lol:

Which given that the current Intel generation of Macs are just PCs in fancy boxes is somewhat ironic.

True, apart from Macs not using BIOS. I do wish Apple would do a machine that sat between the iMac (Pretty, but crap to upgrade) and the Mac Pro (pretty pricey, but easy to upgrade).

I 'swing both ways' and use Vista and MacOS, so I get the best and worse of both worlds! :lol:

Hi Marc

I use an old PC card which works well, but the new usb modems are even better and more 'plug n play'

I get good reception at the front of the boat where I have windows, but it's worse at the back of the boat where there are just portholes.

I've found Three to have a good balance between value for money and good network coverage

PS. I don't like Macs :lol: , I've got three XP pro machines and i run YDL Linux on a PS3

Edited by Scotty

I've recently trialled all the USB devices that are currently avaliable, and a fair few phones that will act as modems.

Here is my impression of them all.

They're all superb, and completely plug and play, there's little difference between network coverage (it really is swings and roundabouts here), but Orange and Yodafone devices seem a little bit faster than 3 and T Mobile. For business use we went with Vodaphone for USB devices, but have Orange E51 handsets with a data allowance.

Personally however, I'm sticking with T Mobile, their "soft cap" is a hell of a lot more reassuring, than facing per Megabyte charges if you go over your allowance.

Personally my favorite OS is Solaris, closely followed by NeXTstep.

Edited by fuzzyduck

I use a mobile phone for emails mainly and if I want a larger screen I connect phone to laptop computer. I use Orange evening & weekends unlimited for £5 per month. I am hoping to change to Orange blackberry before the end of this month while it is £2.50 per month anytime. This way I have nothing extra to cart around when I leave the boat, just laptop & phone.

Sue

Check your T&C's

Orange exclude using the phone to connect your laptop to the internet.

Justme

A vote for the '3' dongle.

Because we are not live-aboard, we have gone for the £50 outright purchase. You can then just buy a month's credit as you need it. £15 for 3Gb, and despite sharing between two laptops, and my son's fairly continuous use, 3Gb is more than enough for up to a month away.

Obviously you can also go contract, where you don't have to buy the dongle.

It's USB, truly 'plug and play' and worked fine on my wife's (XP Pro) and my son's (Vista) laptops.

Connectivity was pretty good, if the dongle was hung in a window. In bad areas, taping it to the end of a short pole, a few feet above the roof, would generally sort out any problems.

Nowhere in 350 miles that we couldn't use it at all - regularly used 'mobile', and even kept working in some short tunnels (much to my surprise).

A doddle, really.......

Hi everybody.

Thanks, Marc

Avoid the 02 dongle. Complete pile of pooh. I've got one for work and it can't maintain a connection for more than a few minutes without it just stopping working or disconnecting. Its not just me and 02 just dont give a damn.

3g T Mobile dongle here.

i wouldn'y buy a Mac as I can fix my own PC. It's kinda like buying an old BMC instead of a groovy new Ducati or Lombardini engine, at least your mate can fix it instead of paying someone an appendage or two...

Hi everybody.

Thanks, Marc

Hi

I have used 3 dongle for the last 6 months or so with varying results, if you are in a strong 3G signal area the results are great however where I am moored on the Leeds n Liv between Wigan and Apley Bridge the signal is very poor and not worth the effort - full signal then no signal, dropped connections every few mins

T mobile seems to be the answer in this area? - My best advice would be to try all providers in the location you are to be based using a mobile or two and go for the one with the best signal DO NOT rely on the post code "yes we have 100% coverage in this area" that 3,Voda,Orange etc will advise I did and 3 now admit there is a problem with the signal in the area my marina is located

Regards Ray

Also, you have to make sure you get a decent 3G signal, or it'll not work well, or may switch to a slower and more expensive HSCSD or GPRS or EDGE setup

If you have a 3G dongle it does not cost more if it "down shifts" to a slower service.

I have the 3G dongle 5gb for £7.50 month on contract.

Justme

If you have a 3G dongle it does not cost more if it "down shifts" to a slower service.

I have the 3G dongle 5gb for £7.50 month on contract.

Justme

Snap i have also picked up that offer & am well pleased with it for price :lol:

Works well at home when i tested its capability & had a chat with a guy in the 3 shop about coverage.

I'm here at the coast in my static caravan & have been using it ok since sunday.

BUT i have noticed it works faster in the early morning than later in the day/evening when everyone else is trying to grab some bandwidth.

I'm hoping it will work for the majority of time when we are out on the boat, i have my mobile connection to fall back on if not.

Edited by Teakbank12

Check your T&C's

Orange exclude using the phone to connect your laptop to the internet.

Justme

That's news to me. I have been doing it for years. Works fine and never a problem. Orange has given us a better coverage than Vodafone (We cruise everywhere). Their customer service is friendlier as well.

Sue

Edited by sueb

Avoid the older 3g data cards for laptops - always go for the 3g USB "dongles" - or alternatively if your buying a new laptop get one with a 3g modem built in - you just pop your SIM card in the laptop and away it goes.

Hi everybody.

Thanks, Marc

hello Mark,1st is VODAFONE IS BEST RANGE TO HAVE

2 ND IT CONNECTS VIA A SMALL MODEM [FOB SIZED] INTO A PORT,NEEDS NO WIRES OR THE LIKE WHATSOEVER,

3RD I HAVE TRAVELLED EVERYWHERE WITH MY LAPTOP AND VODAFONE MODEM AND ALWAYS CONNECTED TO INTERNET WITH NO PROBLEM

4th whats more the vodafone modem right now is free at pc world,all you pay is £15 per month for 3 g modem brilliant offer

HOPE ALL THIS HELPS SOMEWHAT,KIND REGARDS BRIAN