Would this be a good idea ?

Jacq

Featured Posts

Ive been on the look out for an un-converted carrying Narrowboat. It would need to be iron ( or steel) With some history.

Ive seen a Butty (Large Woolwich) for sale. If i were to buy her and get the back end cut off and add a motor back end (new) would this be seen as a loss to the historic side of things ? Are converted Buttys frowned upon ? What are your thoughts ?

There are a few converted butties about... Pavo, for one, which I have had the pleasure of steering. Hagley, which is a Big Ricky butty, has the following on their website..

Hagley was originally unpowered, being paired with a motor boat. This is not practical for us since we can't afford to run a pair. Hagley has therefore had a hole drilled through the stern post and a propellor fitted. This will be connected up to a 1952 single cylinder Crossley diesel engine.

Ive been on the look out for an un-converted carrying Narrowboat. It would need to be iron ( or steel) With some history.

Ive seen a Butty (Large Woolwich) for sale. If i were to buy her and get the back end cut off and add a motor back end (new) would this be seen as a loss to the historic side of things? Are converted Buttys frowned upon ? What are your thoughts ?

Hello - my thoughts are that unconverted buttys in carrying condition are becoming increasingly rare because they are cheaper to buy convert/pervert to live-aboards. So yes, it would be a loss to the "historic side of things"! There is no longer a valid reason to buy an historic boat to convert to a live-aboard/cruiser, because it would be cheaper and less hassle to have a replica made!

There is one reasonably acceptable solution to 'motorise' a butty that retains some integrety - ie you can keep the original 'starn' & magnificent 'ellum, and that is to use a hyrdaulic drive. See an example for sale at: http://www.boatfinderbrokerage.co.uk/boats...e/catalog.shtml

all the best, good luck!

Dave :lol:

If it's a motor you want, why not try and buy a motor, rather than taking yet another unconverted butty out of the system.

They are becoming increasingly rare beasts, and in my view it's a great shame if many more are cut about or converted.

I'd doubt that to do a proper conversion of a butty to a motor that you would save any money over buying a motor in the first place. Buy a motor, and you have a genuine piece of history. Convert a butty to a motor, and all you have is something that used to be a genuine piece of history.

(Just my opinion, I'll admit!).

Does anybody have any ideas on how much it would cost for a replica, say small or large Northwich unconverted motor from a decent boat builder? in either shell, or sail-away form?

I'd be interested to find out.

Does anybody have any ideas on how much it would cost for a replica, say small or large Northwich unconverted motor from a decent boat builder? in either shell, or sail-away form?

I'd be interested to find out.

Ask Brinklow Boat Services : Brinklow They have done a small Northwich

northwich1.jpg

Richard

Hi RLWP,

I was thinking more of an unconverted motor replica... I have sent emails to Brinklow Boat Services on a number of occasions, and have not received a reply. I could phone them but I'm not that serious and wouldn't want to waste their time.

I was thinking more of an unconverted motor replica... I have sent emails to Brinklow Boat Services on a number of occasions, and have not received a reply. I could phone them but I'm not that serious and wouldn't want to waste their time.

I've been genuinely surprised on our last two trips out, how many new build full length unconverted boats are on the system.

This includes several actively carrying or trading from the canalside.

Most seem to be of all welded construction, and not surprisingly with quite different arrangement for internal bracing and knees to an old riveted boat.

I'm struggling to remember them all now, and certainly don't know who built them.

Perhaps other forum members can name some of the boats, and their builders ?

Alan

Barry Hawkins does a good job. Our boat Lincoln is one of his Northwich Trader style boats which we took to one of the Historic Boat meets last year. Funny we got asked by one of the members how old she was when we told them she was only 3 years they were gob smacked. Must say so were we! We really like her but were not aware thet she was that good a replica.

Not sure what the original owner paid we bought her as an unfinished project (40FT to fit out) cost us 80K.

Barry Hawkins does a good job. Our boat Lincoln is one of his Northwich Trader style boats which we took to one of the Historic Boat meets last year. Funny we got asked by one of the members how old she was when we told them she was only 3 years they were gob smacked. Must say so were we! We really like her but were not aware thet she was that good a replica.

Not sure what the original owner paid we bought her as an unfinished project (40FT to fit out) cost us 80K.

I`m afraid that says more about the people asking than the historic accuracy of the boat. Nice though , and well built , but no, it don`t look like a "real" one and I`m sure the builder would be happy to agree, that it is, as he has already said, not a replica.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Naughty naughty

Thinking about cutting up an historic artifact !

If I wanted independant power, I would 'motorise' the butty by putting a shaft/prop through the back end (cutting some of the elum away) which would be quite hidden

Have also seen replacing the elum with a steel replica where part of the elum has been replaced with a hydraulic drive/prop arrangement

Have also seen replacing the elum with a steel replica where part of the elum has been replaced with a hydraulic drive/prop arrangement

Large Woolwich butty 'Aston' has this arrangement, as does Little Woolwich 'Capella'.

Of the 24 Large Woolwich butties built, 3 have been cut up for scrap, one has been converted to a motor with a counter and full length steel cabin. One has a hydraulic drive to the elum. At least 9 have full length steel cabins and a further one has a conversion under cloths.

Only 8 survive complete unconverted, a further one has a short welded steel cabin extention.

Naughty naughty

Thinking about cutting up an historic artifact !

Little Woolwich butty 'Achilles' was cut and turned into a motor boat earlier this year at Braunston. :lol:

Edited by Hairy-Neil

• 5 weeks later...

Barry Hawkins does a good job. Our boat Lincoln is one of his Northwich Trader style boats

It is my understanding that Northwich Traders are built by R W Davis & Son at Saul Junction, and that they are amongst the best Northwich replicas I have ever seen, rather than Barry Hawkins boats which I would suggest are slightly more "theatrical" in appearance.

Barry Hawkins does a good job. Our boat Lincoln is one of his Northwich Trader style boats

It is my understanding that Northwich Traders are built by R W Davis & Son at Saul Junction, and that they are amongst the best Northwich replicas I have ever seen, rather than Barry Hawkins boats which I would suggest are slightly more "theatrical" in appearance.

It was my understanding that Mr Hawkins, shall we say, copied Phil Trotter's original design. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you compared a real Northwich (I'm assuming you mean one of the Grand Unions) directly with either of these boats, I'm not sure you would say that, especially if you saw something from Brinklow or David Harris for instance. Phil's is more like a Cowburn's boat, which were also built by Yarwoods, especially at the fore-end.

Alec in Brierley Hill is going to be selling his prized big Woolwich; he was going to take it down to the Stourbridge festival in undrcoat to guage interest, but the breach there has scuppered that idea so instead he's in the middle of painting. It's not yet advertised anywhere. The Gardner has just been rebuilt. From Jim Shead :

BARNHAM Built by HARLAND & WOLFF - Length 21.34 metres (70 feet ) - Beam 2.14 metres (7 feet ) Metal hull . Registered with British Waterways number 77861 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Jul-07.

To see the boat not quite in its heyday have a look at the Fairground attraction video here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_OWzDP5cnE0

For more information telephone Alec on 07956491368.

Alec in Brierley Hill is going to be selling his prized big Woolwich; he was going to take it down to the Stourbridge festival in undrcoat to guage interest, but the breach there has scuppered that idea so instead he's in the middle of painting. It's not yet advertised anywhere. The Gardner has just been rebuilt. From Jim Shead :

BARNHAM Built by HARLAND & WOLFF - Length 21.34 metres (70 feet ) - Beam 2.14 metres (7 feet ) Metal hull . Registered with British Waterways number 77861 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Jul-07.

To see the boat not quite in its heyday have a look at the Fairground attraction video here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_OWzDP5cnE0

For more information telephone Alec on 07956491368.

As far as I know the Bonded Warehouse Weekend next month will still be held and boats will be able to access by coming down the flight from the direction of Netherton but obviously not up from the Stourton .

So he can still attend if he wants to go .