Bristol Harbour

Serendipity

Featured Posts

I'm thinking of going on to Bristol from Bath in a couple of weeks, and I'd be grateful for some advice re:-

Where can you moor along the route?

Where do you moor in the harbour?

It's tidal isn't it - How do you moor securely and safely?

Is it busy heavy trafficwise? I went to see SS Gt Britain some years back and don't recall much going on.

I've never done a river before - I've serviced the engine very recently, and my boat came with an anchor (literally - needs a chain and some rope), is the Avon likely to be a challenge to a newbie at this time of year?

Many thanks

I'm thinking of going on to Bristol from Bath in a couple of weeks, and I'd be grateful for some advice re:-

Is it busy heavy trafficwise? I went to see SS Gt Britain some years back and don't recall much going on.

I've never done a river before - I've serviced the engine very recently, and my boat came with an anchor (literally - needs a chain and some rope), is the Avon likely to be a challenge to a newbie at this time of year?

Many thanks

We've done Bath to Keynsham (which is a couple miles short of Bristol) several times. The river is great nice and wide all the way, so even if busy it's not a problem, In the summer it's a breeze. if you do get heavy rain it's quie managable, we've been on it in full flood, never needed an anchor. You have to avoid about 3 wiers en route, and these shouldn't be attempted if the river's in flood, not that you would want to lol. but they're all well sign posted. I think there's 3 or maybe 4 locks from coming off the canal at Widcombe Bath (which is Europes deepest lock aparrently). As I recall there's one at Loxbrook one at Saltford and another one a bit further on right outside a pub, might be one more, just can't recall. Plenty of places to moor up especially if you're happy to get the plank out and more on the edge of farmers fields and forestry. There's also about 4 pubs you can moor up close to en route. There are not very many shops or village centres on this route so stock up the larder and beer :lol: As for Keynsham to Bristol, I believe there are no further locks, not positive though. There's lots of narrowboats and widebeams moored in Bristol harbour, quite handy for the city centre. I would consider it tame. Oh from Bath to Keynsham is easily done in around 4 hours stopping for lunch, 5 hours to Bristol.

Try not mooring in Bristol at weekends unless you want to go clubbing. They close at 3am as I seem to remember. The sound is sufficient from the pontoon moorings. I hate to think what it is like inside the clubs. Apart from this Bristol is fine.

Sue

Many thanks

We moored in the floating harbour at Bristol in 2005. While there are moorings near the clubs we found some very quiet ones further on past the SS Great Britain just past the marina. Neither the river or harbour are tidal but watch the low bridge as you enter the harbour proper.

Cheers

Slight caveat: the floating harbour is not tidal and mooring not a problem. The tide does come over the weir at Netham for about half the time (i.e. high tide for one week in two) and affect the river up to Hanham and occassionaly Keynsham. This isn't a problem, even the local hire boats traverse the river when tidal, but do be aware it happens. Currents are not strong and it is perfectly safe. You may find yourself being locked through at Netham lock (the upstream entrance to the docks) rather than sailing straight through with the gates open.

If in doubt ring Netham Lock: they'll know the tide: Don't ring Hanham Lock, they only know the (very occasional) tides that go over Hanham Weir.

Enjoy it though, one day Ripple will follow in your wake!