Moving to the waterways

Tefleon

Featured Posts

Hi.

I've been following these forums for sometime and would appricate your opinions on this.

I work from home most of the time returning Friday evenings and leaving again by Monday morning. Sometimes I get to work from home for a week but this is a luxary rather than the rule.

Because of this, being within travelling distance to an airport is a must although trains / taxis etc. are allowed :lol:

So... I'm thinking of leaving the bricks behind and relocating to the waterways and this is where your knowledge comes in. I fancy the North rather than the South but what do I need to look for in the way of moorings and keeping it safe?

Boatwise I would be looking at the wide beams rather than the narrowboats for living space however would still like to explore the canals when I'm not working. Can I moor wide beams anywhere when I'm exploring as I can with a Narrowboat? Am I looking at doing the impossible here?

Thanks

Tef

I found this on another site so think that it looks fesiable to have a wide beam however I'm struggling to find details on moorings. (Something I'm starting to suspect is common)

Is there anywhere in the Manchester area where I can safely leave my life for five days unattended in the knowledge that its safe? Access to trains would be helpful!

Cheers

Tefleon

Welcome to the forum

You will require a mooring, basically there are two types: in a marina and on-line (towpath).

If you do not have a mooring then you would need to declare yourself as a 'continuous cruiser' but there are drawbacks as BW expect you to be on a continuous journey around a major part of the system.

You can moor a widebeam on a broad canal but need to comply (as on all canals) with the local mooring restrictions, the maximum you may moor in anyone place is 14 days unless a sign says otherwise (usually less).

Have you noticed that with a broadbeam you are limited to either north or south of roughly Birmingham there is no broad connection unless you go to sea.

Tefleon

Welcome to the forum

You will require a mooring, basically there are two types: in a marina and on-line (towpath).

If you do not have a mooring then you would need to declare yourself as a 'continuous cruiser' but there are drawbacks as BW expect you to be on a continuous journey around a major part of the system.

You can moor a widebeam on a broad canal but need to comply (as on all canals) with the local mooring restrictions, the maximum you may moor in anyone place is 14 days unless a sign says otherwise (usually less).

Have you noticed that with a broadbeam you are limited to either north or south of roughly Birmingham there is no broad connection unless you go to sea.

Cheers for this bottle.

Is there an website which lists available marina moorings in either Manchester or the nearby area?

As for the narrow canals, I think I would benifit more from the space rather than the exploring the whole network since this will be my home when not living in a hotel and apart from a couple of weeks a year I would only have a two day travel window. On the map I found for the different canals that are planned to join some of the Unions up, do these have timescales?

Thanks for helping

Edited by Tefleon

Cheers for this bottle.

Is there an website which lists available marina moorings in either Manchester or the nearby area? Not that I know of, does not mean there is not one, you could always wander down the cut and talk to the local boaters.

As for the narrow canals, I think I would benifit more from the space rather than the exploring the whole network since this will be my home when not living in a hotel and apart from a couple of weeks a year I would only have a two day travel window.We will be liveaboard on a 60' narrowboat but every one to their own. On the map I found for the different canals that are planned to join some of the Unions up, do these have timescales? Think of a number and double it or even treble it. :lol:

Thanks for helping

I am guessing that you are single, if so the moving of a broadbeam (although not impossible, apparently) single handed will be difficult.

If you do not have any experience of boating, hire before you buy is the usual advice, does not really give the full picture but an insight.

I will be taking your advice on the hiring factor :lol:

What are the main differences between the two from a navigation viewpoint? I've done narrowboats a couple of times so it would be interesting to see what to expect.

Cheers

Edited by Tefleon