Electrical problem needing expert advice

Featured Posts

Hi guys,

Had I only realised sooner before buying how important electrical systems were, I would have studied this more.

My boat does not trickle charge into my 12V batteries when plugged into the mains. I have an inverter but that's designed to turn 12V into 240V, not the other way around. I thought it was my Travelpack that is supposed to convert 240V into 12V and slowly charge my batteries allowing me to use my lights, fridge and water pump! As I am moored long term, I have to switch on my engine every time I need to use the toilet for God sake, and my fridge never cools. Can anyone make my life easier? All advice greatly welcomed right now.

Thanks,

Avenda

You just need a battery charger 20 amp plus, Sterling do a good range. will automatically charge your batteries when a mains supply is presant. It will top up the batteries and maintain them. Once wired in you just leave it alone and forget about it.

http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs...7/categoryID/65

Edited by Julynian

Hi guys,

Had I only realised sooner before buying how important electrical systems were, I would have studied this more.

My boat does not trickle charge into my 12V batteries when plugged into the mains. You need a charger, not a common car battery charger though, a three stage one is the type required, I have an inverter but that's designed to turn 12V into 240V, not the other way around.Correct. I thought it was my Travelpack that is supposed to convert 240V into 12V and slowly charge my batteries allowing me to use my lights, fridge and water pump! A 'travel pack' is a small generator, that generates 240v this will be available when the propulsion engine is running. As I am moored long term, I have to switch on my engine every time I need to use the toilet for God sake, Do not understand this, if the toilet is 12v, then it will run from your domestic battery bank.and my fridge never cools. If the fridge is 240v domestic it will run from the inverter but will use a lot of the battery power Can anyone make my life easier? All advice greatly welcomed right now.

Thanks,

Avenda

All your lighting will be 12v (possibly 24v but rare) this will always run from your domestic battery bank.

The inverter will supply all your 240v equipment from your domestic battery bank. (12v inverted to 240v)

The Travel pack will run all the 240v equipment when the engine is running, for example if you have a washing machine it would be advisable to only use it when the propulsion engine is driving the Travel pack.

You need a 3 stage battery charger to charge your domestic batteries when the landline is connected.

Are you sure you only have an inverter and not a 'combi' that is an inverter and charger in one box.

If it's been stated, I'm sorry if I missed it.

As Bottle says, all of your 12 volt lights and equipment will be running of dedicated batteries, (several usually).

To keep these charged, where you have a 240 volt land line, you need a proper, (3 stage) charger.

The "extra" bit follows....

When you are running your engine, the alternator(s), should recharge your batteries. You may have one "shared" between starter and domestic batteries, or possibly two, with one alternator dedicated to each of domestic and starting.

Edited by alan_fincher

there is a possibility if i read your post correctly that you may have killed your batys if they have not been getting charged properly check to see if they have any electrolyte/water in them how long have you had the problem

there is a possibility if i read your post correctly that you may have killed your batys if they have not been getting charged properly check to see if they have any electrolyte/water in them how long have you had the problem

that's just waht I'd have said.

But I'll add, if you've got cash buy a marine battery charger. If not Argos are doing a Black and Decker 3 stage charger for 64 quid. Buy it today and you might save yourself a couple of hundred on new batteries.

Check the voltage at the battery terminals and report in.