How much for a survey?

Yakbird

Featured Posts

Looking to have a 60ft boat surveyed, and just wondering what sort of price range I should be looking at. Mainly the hull I'm concerned about. I believe they can be ultrasound tested to detect thinning etc. Can anyone give me any idea what sort of price I should pay?

And could anyone recommend anyone around Aldridge, Walsall?

And any advice or info at all would be appreciated.

Cheers,

YB.

This tends to be far more variable than you might think,

I've seen threads suggesting much lower rates than I was able to find, (Hertfordshire).

There is certainly a regional component, I think.

Could be sub £300, but you may get quotes over £500, (also see below about scope of the survey).

If it's not already out of water, you also pay docking/slipping/craning costs. This again can cost £150 down here, but you may get a better deal away from London.

You need to have a clear understanding what the surveyor will be looking at for you.

Cheapest is just a hull survey, with ultrasound testing. Looking at the whole structure of the boat, engine, gas, electrics will cost much more.

Some charge extra is you want a valuation as well as a survey.

Thanks, Alan. Yes, I thought there would probably be a lot of variation, but just wanted some vague ballpark figure. Only the hull I want checking out really, so shouldn't be too bad then.

Much appreciated,

Steve.

Thanks, Alan. Yes, I thought there would probably be a lot of variation, but just wanted some vague ballpark figure. Only the hull I want checking out really, so shouldn't be too bad then.

Much appreciated,

Steve.

If you really are happy to restrict it to just a hull survey, the prices I have quoted are likely to be on the high side I think.

It's worth getting a few quotes, but even better you need a recommendation for a surveyor, as some are certainly more thorough than others.

Cheers, Alan. Turns out I won't be needing the survey now, as circumstances have changed, and I'm no longer buying that particular boat, but one with a recent survey instead. The behaviour of the vendor put me right off, so this emptor is caveating right out of that deal into a better one. Many thanks anyway.

Steve.

Cheers, Alan. Turns out I won't be needing the survey now, as circumstances have changed, and I'm no longer buying that particular boat, but one with a recent survey instead. The behaviour of the vendor put me right off, so this emptor is caveating right out of that deal into a better one. Many thanks anyway.

Steve.

Steve

Who paid for the survey (rhetorical), a survey is the same as an MOT for a car, it is only valid at the time of the survey.

My personal thought is, it is not worth the paper it is written on.

Hi,

A survey is personal to the person who commissioned it, there is no protection for a 3rd party who uses it without reference to the surveyor, who may consider updating his report for a fee.

There are normally (or should be) time constraints with a survey and I (if I were acting as a marine surveyor) would not accept liability without another 'out of water' inspection, who's to say what has happened to the prop' and rudder during the interval?.

Who's to say the report has not been tampered with.

The person who uses a survey under these circumstances has no protection, (according to posts last week they have limited protection under most instances with a survey!!).

ALBI

Paul Smith in Halesowen did my survey and my boat safety certs since. Was recommended to me as very thorough, and I'd happily recommend him. 01384 638460 or 07702 206240 were the last numbers I had. Can't remember prices - suspect he's not the cheapest but if i was buying a boat I'd be suspicious of someone too cheap!

Steve

Who paid for the survey (rhetorical), a survey is the same as an MOT for a car, it is only valid at the time of the survey.

My personal thought is, it is not worth the paper it is written on.

The previous owner commissioned the survey, which established that the hull had lost hardly any thickness since its manufacture, and that the engine was sound. This was about a year ago, and the boat hasn't been moved since, although the engine has been fired up regularly and still starts instantly. I'm stripping everything out of it anyway, so I don't care about the wiring or the interior installations. The survey said the steelwork was 'in excellent condition', so that will do me. It can't have lost much in the last 12 months. It hasn't been connected to an electric hook-up or anything.

Many thanks to everyone for the replies.

Steve.