Narrowboater to be Vice Chair of BW

bottle

Featured Posts

He was moored up next to me for about a year. Despite the all the negative opinions expressed here, I have to say that on a purely personal level he seemed like a very decent bloke.

I'm sure he is. However, we should not forget what the minister said when he was appointed vice chair and ask if he has ever spoken up for boaters.

Would love to know how many board meetings he has attended since end June and how much he has been paid since then.

BW had a board meeting in June but, much to my disgust, they have not released the minutes. Richard Bowker attended a board meeting in July where it was announced he would be leaving at the end of September.

His only documented contribution to that meeting was to chair a "consideration of the performance of the Chairman" (Tony Hales left the room whilst this took place). No actions were placed after that discussion.

For the record, last financial year Richard Bowker attended less board meetings than any other director. He was paid about £1,560 per calendar month.

Together with Tony Hales he decided sacrifice his fees for February and March 2009 and asked that it be used to fund a good waterway cause. The pair of them have given no reason for this.

It would be wrong of me to suggest that Tony Hales has arranged for Richard Bowker to be paid up to the end of September in return for arranging that he was given a clean bill of health as BW's chairman. Indeed, the thought never crossed my mind :lol:

Unlikely but I wonder why he has been so succesful in gaining so many highly paid appointments.

Everything he has touched, so far, has been messed up - but he never stays long enough to sort the mess out . . .

Well I suppose at least he can spot a mess up which is an improvement. Pehaps if we keep and eye on him and if he resigns we will know the excreta is about to impact the rotator...

REgards

Arnot

Edited by Arnot

If this man "is" a keen boater,has enybody seen him out on his boat,or Know where its moored ?

Yes he was moored next to me until very recently and I saw him go out onto the Thames a few times.

I believe it was on K & A but that he no longer has a boat.

If he was on the K&A then it must have been some time ago as his boat's been at Brentford for the past year.

As far as I know he still has his boat.

Well I suppose at least he can spot a mess up which is an improvement. Pehaps if we keep and eye on him and if he resigns we will know the excreta is about to impact the rotator...

REgards

Arnot

He did resign at the July board meeting. As to spotting a mess up - at that same meeting BW approved deeds of subordination regarding ISIS which means that if it goes belly up then the Banks have first call on any payout and BW is at the end of the queue. BW told us all joint ventures were ring fenced. It seems not!

I guess the truth is that despite being a boater himself he wasn't actually being paid to speak up for boaters.

Actually he was! I have written an article for NbW which quotes what the minister said when he was appointed. I will post a link when it is published.

**** edited to say if its published! ****

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Actually he was! I have written an article for NbW which quotes what the minister said when he was appointed. I will post a link when it is published.

**** edited to say if its published! ****

You are obviously one of that increasingly rare breed who still actually believe what politicians tell you.

My point was that whatever may have been said and what the guy was actually paid to do may be two entirely different things.

Edited by blackrose

You are obviously one of that increasingly rare breed who still actually believe what politicians tell you.

My point was that whatever may have been said and what the guy was actually paid to do may be two entirely different things.

I don't think I actually said I believe what politicians tell me.

My guess (and it is a guess!) is that Richard Bowkers elevation to vice chairman was simply a publicity stunt engineered by the board themselves to demonstrate that they were they were taking the needs of boaters into account.

However, the important thing for boaters is not what Richard Bowker did (or rather didn't do) for us but rather will the minister now appoint a proper "boaters champion" as vice chairman. A window of opportunity exists!