Barge in the UK

nursegrowl

Featured Posts

A friend of mine is looking at a Dutch Barge which is: Length 18.45m x Beam 3.37m x Draft .9m x Air Draft 2.95m it is currently in France, which is where she has experience of these. She now lives in the UK and wants to buy tis one, but where on Earthcould she keep it?? It would need to be based in either North Wales, Cheshire or by Liverpool, but she has had no luck as far as I know..............

River Weaver

Bridgewater Canal

Leeds & Liverpool

Chester branch of the Shroppie

As for particular moorings, I couldn't help... it depends on whether a leisure mooring or an official residential mooring is required. For the Bridgewater, get in touch with Mike Webb who's email address is mwebb at peel dot co dot uk.

ah but alas its got close to 10 ft air draft

It's going to depend whether it has a wheelhouse than can be collapsed to move, (and no big masts etc that can't be got out of the way).

There are plenty of boats around here at what kind of dimensions when everything is "up", but which have to do a degree of dismantling to move.

There is that oft quoted bit about not mooring wide beams online on the GU North of Berkhamsted, although it seems to be widely ignored.

ah but alas its got close to 10 ft air draft

Yeah but pretty much all broad canals should cope with this okay.

I know the Bridgewater would be fine, as would be the Weaver.

Yeah but pretty much all broad canals should cope with this okay.

I know the Bridgewater would be fine, as would be the Weaver.

Not at all!

Wouldn't get far up the GU with 10' air draft, (many bridges curve in sharply as well), and on the Lee & Stort we encountered bridges of perhapd 7 feet above the water.

Yeah, it would be wise to take into account the fact that some bridges aren't the same height all the way across, especially as the boat in question is 11ft wide!

I have just realised that with 10ft air draught there must be absolutely loads of headroom inside!

Edited by Liam

A friend of mine is looking at a Dutch Barge which is: Length 18.45m x Beam 3.37m x Draft .9m x Air Draft 2.95m it is currently in France, which is where she has experience of these. She now lives in the UK and wants to buy tis one, but where on Earthcould she keep it?? It would need to be based in either North Wales, Cheshire or by Liverpool, but she has had no luck as far as I know..............

I see no problem with these areas, and Liverpool should welcome such a vessel at the moment.

Failing that I have a friend who keeps hers at Maulden in Essex.