Removing aged masking tape

Featured Posts

Does anyone know whether there is a solvent that can remove the glue that seems to stick cheap masking tape permanently if you leave it too long?

Been repainting Otter over the last three weeks, and the weather hasn't accelerated the process one bit... so the masking tape has decided to make a permanent bond.

Moral - don't buy your masking tape from an office supplies company.

Brian

:D

Edited by brich

Does anyone know whether there is a solvent that can remove the glue that seems to stick cheap masking tape permanently if you leave it too long?

Been repainting Otter over the last three weeks, and the weather hasn't accelerated the process one bit... so the masking tape has decided to make a permanent bond.

Moral - don't buy your masking tape from an office supplies company.

Brian

:D

20583[/snapback]

White Spirit will remove the dried adhesive found on standard beige paper masking tape. Apply with a soft cloth impregnated with the spirit, and allow it to soften for a few minutes before rubbing the residue off.

Brian.

Moral - Don't leave the tape for more than a couple of hours.

That beige tape is only good for sticking parcels together, always use the low tack red lining tape that you can buy from good paint suppliers and even then pull it off as soon as the paint has gone tacky.

Your question; All you can do is keep wetting it and rubbing off the surface layers.

a domestic steam cleaner works wonders on sticky stuff  and doesn't damage paint work if you know anyone who owns one and will let you borrow it.

Something similar to this. By the way i'm not selling you one!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...8755730-0779636

20783[/snapback]

would a steam wallpaper remover do the same job ?

would a steam wallpaper remover do the same job ?

20797[/snapback]

Haven't tried it but i would think the wall paper stripper would make it wet rather than remove the sticky. Wall paper strippers are designed the wet the wall and remove the water based paste. The steam cleaners produce steam which is under pressure (roughly upto 120 deg C) and can be concentrated on an area.

hair dyer or bl/decker paint gun set low warm the glue scrape the worse off with plastic scraper or stanley blade if you are very careful,acetone i think may clear residue of glue.but to be honest when i made the mistake of leaving the tape to long the above and buckets of elbow grease never made for perfect results.nail polish, turps, white spirit or paint remover liquid if you have any of these about give each a try for best result.i think at least a week of your summer is booked for this one,i hope you dont have to much.gaggle

• 2 weeks later...

In my music shop I often have to remove stickers that the little darlings have stuck onto guitars when they now have changed their allegience to a particular band. The easiest way to remove bothe the sticker and the horrible gooey adhesive is good old T-cut or equivalent colour restorer from Halfords - it also leaves a nice polish on the paint-work.

Petrol will break the old glue down but a better, cleaner and safer way, is brake and clutch cleaner. It is sold in any car accessory shop in an aerosol. This is also a good product for cleaning any small oil spillages etc, in awkward places, as it evaporates after use. Here is an example.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/product...ProductID=29534