Moles Afloat '08

Moley

Featured Posts

Subject to ratification by Mrs. Mole, and finding a neighbour to look after our cats, (and of course, subject to changing our minds at every junction), I propose the following:

Basically, most of the 4-Counties anti-clockwise, with additions.

Departing Kidderminster the evening of Fridaaay 15th August (Vickymole permitting as it's her birthday and she may want friends round) or early Sat. 16th, Staffs & Worcs to Great Haywood, left onto the T&M to Stoke, Caldon to Froghall and back (is there any merit to adding the Leek branch?), T&M through Harecastle to Kidsgrove, Macc Canal to Marple, possible Peak Forest excursion to Whaley Bridge and/or Bugsworth, Marple to Ashton, through Manchester, Bridgewater to Preston Brook, T&M to Middlewich, Middlewich branch to Barbridge, back down the Shroppie to Autherley then S&W home.

Rounding, CanalPlan says 260 miles + 210 locks = 120 hours = 16 days @ 7.5hrs/day. Easy-peasy?

13 days @ 9.3hrs/day, anywhere we should day halt?

Anyone we should look out for on our travels?

Subject to ratification by Mrs. Mole, and finding a neighbour to look after our cats, (and of course, subject to changing our minds at every junction), I propose the following:

Departing Kidderminster the evening of Fridaaay 15th August (Vickymole permitting as it's her birthday and she may want friends round) or early Sat. 16th, Staffs & Worcs to Great Haywood, left onto the T&M to Stoke, Caldon to Froghall and back (is there any merit to adding the Leek branch?), T&M through Harecastle to Kidsgrove, Macc Canal to Marple, possible Peak Forest excursion to Whaley Bridge and/or Bugsworth, Marple to Ashton, through Manchester, Bridgewater to Preston Brook, T&M to Middlewich, Middlewich branch to Barbridge, back down the Shroppie to Autherley then S&W home.

Rounding, CanalPlan says 260 miles + 210 locks = 120 hours = 16 days @ 7.5hrs/day. Easy-peasy?

We'll be around that general area during the next few weeks Moley, but not really sure when or where. Our boat is "Destiny." will watch out for you. We may end up on Staffs. & Worc.

Is it a boat you have or a jetski ??!!!!

Should definitely do the Leek Branch --- very pleasant and Leek itself is nice for a wander around (but you will have to stop the boat !).

Enjoy.

Mike.

We're off out doing the Four Counties but starting from next Friday and due back on the 10th August so will miss you out and about...

But when you get to the Bridgewater, and it's on a weekend (which I doubt due to your itinery) then give me a shout... will most likely be down on the moorings.

Hope you all have a good time :lol:

will there be a banter en route? and before the 23rd? OOOOOOOOOOOOooh I am flying out of B'ham on the saturday, SOOO how about the friday near B'ham - or are you not going that way, hmm, I really ought to learn where all these canal things are!

will there be a banter en route? and before the 23rd? OOOOOOOOOOOOooh I am flying out of B'ham on the saturday, SOOO how about the friday near B'ham - or are you not going that way, hmm, I really ought to learn where all these canal things are!

Dear Bones...... I know all the places listed are north of Watford but in fact it might come as a huge shock to you that none at all can be defined as Birmingham (even with the huge stretches of imagination that regular Fridaaay thread readers seem to aquire)

I must also say that none at all seem to sound like any place near Tamworth :lol:

It seems that if we are to try and talk the Mole clan into hosting a banter while on tour (please can we have cake Vicki??) then you and I will have to be prepared to travel!

I am even wondering if there is any suitable flight for me to give YSL some exercise ......... ?

Edited by cheshire~rose

Dear Bones...... I know all the places listed are north of Watford but in fact it might come as a huge shock to you that none at all can be defined as Birmingham (even with the huge stretches of imagination that regular Fridaaay thread readers seem to aquire)

I must also say that none at all seem to sound like any place near Tamworth :lol:

It seems that if we are to try and talk the Mole clan into hosting a banter while on tour (please can we have cake Vicki??) then you and I will have to be prepared to travel!

I am even wondering if there is any suitable flight for me to give YSL some exercise ......... ?

Surely they can't be going THAT far from B'Ham? They are only going for 2 weeks... surely that will only mean a few miles? Hmmm.

Travel might be awkward the night before a flight, so I hope the banter will be earlier!

I gather, subect to revision, that a banter is likely to be taking place in Macclesfield on Thursday 21st August. Which means that the Moles will be doing Bosley flight on the Wednesday/Thursday. If it's the Wednesday, and I can sort out public transport, I may be able to assist (learn) with Bosley. If it's the Thursday I'm probably trapped at w**k. I'll be starting a thread about a Macclesfield banter when Moley has got permission agreed his intinery with Mrs Mole.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I've been busy with woodwork and stuff, and the boat's actually starting to look quite respectable (I really must update my build blog).

The plan is pretty-much as I listed above (except that the cats are coming too :lol:), and although it means averaging 9 - 10 hours per day for the first 6 days (and hoping luck's on our side with the Harecastle), we should be in Macclesfield by Thursday 21st, in the hope of meeting Dave & Debby and any others who can make it along.

I will send details of our progress and hope that someone might relay to the forum. If we're heading your way it would be great to put some more faces to screen names.

Received the following from Moley yesterday. Couldn't post it sooner as I was out on a marathon fishing session!

Looks like my plans might already be knackered, not gone far enuf 2day, was aiming4 Compton but still below Bratch. Unless can make up 2moro might save Caldon til another time and go straight for Macc & Peak Forest. Nxt yr I'm going alone or looking4 volunteer crew.

Further updates to follow!

Anybody spotted them yet?

Janet

Further quick update. Just spoken to Moley, and although they aren't progressing as well as he may have liked, he sounds to be in fine spirits, and it seems as though his crew are still with him....they are currently heading towards Gailey. From the previous message, I thought he may have had a mutiny aboard!

As we spoke, they were cruising past a huge fishing match (hundreds of the buggers, he said), with another boat approaching....oh, the joys of boating on a Sunday afternoon!

I forgot to ask him about the weather, but it's glorious sunshine up here in Lancashire, so I hope they've got the same.

More updates to follow.

Janet

Further update:

Moles are in Stone and very glad to be tied up. It started drizzling and only looked like a shower so I didn't bother with waterproofs but soon reached that point where my bottom half couldn't have been any wetter if I'd fallen in. Stopped now,

had dinner and too much wine quite pleasant evening!

Think we are missing the Caldon for now, taking our time to Macc and maybe spending some time in Stoke and the potteries.

From the Mole:

Some very strange locks in this part of the world, making quite slow progress at times. Gave up on the Caldon but arrived Harecastle expecting to be told we'd be first through tomorrow and keeper said go now. So through and turned onto the Macc. Now in Hall Green pub.

Edited by Postcode

The Moles have arrived in Macclesfield - a day earlier than expected! Just popped down to see them, all are well and happy, and the cat is no longer chained to the cupboard.........

We're giving them a night of peace and quiet tonight, but will be joining them in the Puss In Boots (at the marina) tomorrow night. Anyone else like to join us? :lol:

Is that just a Mole thing then?

Janet

Well we haven't chained our cats to anything yet.......but then we haven't taken them on a boat. We'll leave them at home on Fridaaay, when we've been invited to join the Moles on their journey from Macclesfield to Marple or Whaley Bridge :lol:

All going good then, what's what I like to hear read...

Does anybody know which way they are heading? Are they going via the Bridgewater or back down the Macc / Trent & Mersey ?

Wouldn't mind meeting up if they do come the Bridgewater way, and pass our moorings during the weekend!

All going good then, what's what I like to hear read...

Does anybody know which way they are heading? Are they going via the Bridgewater or back down the Macc / Trent & Mersey ?

Wouldn't mind meeting up if they do come the Bridgewater way, and pass our moorings during the weekend!

I did ask Mr Mole that very question this afternoon - a firm decision has not yet been made. It's definitely the Peak Forest on Friday........I'm sure we or someone else will post as soon as the route is known.

Cheers matey :lol:

I will hopefully (fingers crossed) be doing the Cheshire Ring before the year is out... not on mine but "another" ...

I'm not saying too much yet but it's a very exciting little project in the making. If it does come off I'll post all about it!

Edited by Liam

Another Moleygram received this evening:

This is a first, I'm kneeling on one side of the canal watching a heron on the other. It doesn't seem too bothered by my presence.

Moles arrived Macclesfield - met Debbie briefly, spending tomorrow in and around Macclesfield then micro banter tomorrow night. Looks like Dave and Debbie onboard on-board with us to Whaley Bridge on Fridaaay.

and the cat is no longer chained to the cupboard.........

I've done a couple of canal trips with friends who brought their cat along, and we didn't find the need to chain it to anything - although we did have a nervous few moments when it decided to go for a walk down the side deck whilst the boat was in motion :lol:

Said friend actually bought the cat a lifejacket for when he took it out on his sailing cruiser, but the cat was too good an escapologist - the lifejacket never stayed on for more than about 5 seconds!