Chimney Cowl

Theo

Featured Posts

The type that I am thinking of is the one which rotates to point downwind.

Occasionally we moor somewhere and the wind blows down the chimley and the smoke alarm goes off and we get cold.

Nick

Edited by Theo

The type that I am thinking of is the one which rotates to point downwind.

Occasionally we moor somewhere and the wind blows down the chimley and the smoke alarm goes off and we get cold.

Nick

If it's a Bubble stove they do design one specifically for this, it also assists the air flow and burn the diesel more efficiently. It would probably work on any stove though.

• 11 years later...

Hi. 

My chimney needs some attention the chimney collar which is cast its the standard flat one you get from a marina and the boat roof is curved this causes a space between the roof and the collar am looking to find someone to either make a new collar to fit the gap or make a skirt to go go round the collar please can you help can send pics if needed.

Can you get an angled collar if not can you get one made out of steeI can you reply to m.kay1234@outlook.com thank you could do with some sort of a template.

It's the first time I have sent a message on here can you provide any links that might hel me thank you

9 hours ago, narrowboatmarcus20201970. said:

Thank you for your reply they only have the straight ones have looked on e.bay and there 70.00 it would be cheaper to try and get something made to fit or get a template from someone on here

I would suggest that the roof curvature is unlikely to be the same on any two NB's.

You should make a wooden mock-up using YOUR curvature and then get one made to fit - the ready-made ones will be a compromise curvature (to roughly fit a majority of boat shapes) and will need some final grinding to get a good fit on your boat.

I had one fabricated and it cost considerably over £70

You can bodge the fit by using slivers of steel plate and mastic, it depends on how well you want the job done.

You don't need a revolving cowl top prevent downdraughts.

Personally I prefer one with no moving parts as there's less to go wrong, they tend to last longer and possibly less attractive for someone to steal. 

I've had a Vedetta cowl on my chimney for about 12 years and never get any downdraughts. They come in black too.

Vedette Cowl - Flue Pipes Direct

Edited by blackrose