The Black Prince Owners Club...

Featured Posts

Interesting Dan,

We moor immediately next to an (approx) 50 foot boat that has a lot of the Harborough look, but is in other ways quite different from Harborough boats.

It has a very high "window breaker" nose, but with a massive stem post that looks similar to your picture. It uses chequer plate on the fore deck, but I'm not certain that looks original. It's steel cabined & louvre windowed. It doesn't have "idiot bars".

I don't know it's age, or it's original name, but suspect it is ex-hire.

I'm 90% certain it must have the same origins as your old boat.

You've raised my curiosity - I'll have to ask what the owner knows about it's former life, (but he's gone cruising at the moment...)

:lol:

My mate has a Harborough, built in 1976 and still has the original chequer plate for the fore deck aswell as a Fibreglass top, which a good few years ago was doubled up with extra glass fibre. The "idiot" bars, as you call them were removed many moons ago but you can still spot where they were.

Complete with it's original SR2, and a few months ago has had a survey on the 6mm bottom to show that it's still 5.5mm thick after all these years!

Hello Alan

If it has an ugly nose stem (like Canberra's picture) and is all steel it is likely to be a Black Prince built boat.

Next time you are there if you take it's BW Index PLate number & email or private message me I can look at my list of Black Prince boats (anorak alert!) and tell you which it was, and if it was!

I would consider launching and writing a Black Prince owners club/website.... but is there enough interest?

Dan

Edited by Dan

Hi,

We bought the boat from BP in 2000. Its a 62ft duchess class built by John Pinder. it was named Bristol and still is. The colour has changed a liitle though. Its now pale blue which makes it much cooler in summer. The leaking black windows are now royal blue and do not leak anymore.

original spec was:-

Kubota 1703D with PRM gearbox. 1 start, 2 domestic and 1 eberspacher battery.

Upgrades so far:-

same engine and gearbox, improved air filter and exhaust arrangement to make it quieter.

Bosch kc90 with alternator controller.

1 start and 6 domestics, 240v hook up and 1500w inverter/charger, the domestic back also runs the eberspacher.

Split charge relays removed from stupid place (miles from the batteries) and a large relay inserted in correct place.

Rev counter and engine temperature guage added.

Eberspacher diagnostic kit and service manual obtained (very useful).

Toilet enhanced with manual macerator and water buttons (the automatic ones still work for guests).

I've fitted thicker cables all the way down the boat to reduce voltage drop, which has had the side effect of making the eberspacher and toilet macerator much more reliable.

As you can probably tell, I got fed up with flat batteries and hours to charge them each day.

Little armchairs replaced with two wide IKEA chairs that convert into a double bed. We can now sleep six.

Roof vents replaced with brass mushroom vents, they look much better and don't leak.

We've replaced:-

water pump, fridge, cooker and TV.

I did have a little accident in May that made everyone else on the boat laugh. I was coming into the marina from Oxford. I was at full lock on the tiller, and, nearly full revs to make the turn. The wooden end of the tiller broke, and, I accelerated rapidly to the left (me not the boat). I just managed to stop myself from going over the railings into the cut. Still made it into the marina without touching the sides. I'm claiming skill, everyone else says luck!. Fitting a new tiller is a nightmare!

We're based at Wigrams turn, and, plan to cruise stratford, avon, Severn and into merry hill this summer, stopping there for the week before the bank holiday. I would prefer not to stop but work beckons, and I can walk to work from there. All this is weather permitting. So if anyones in the area or sees a very blue boat go by wave and say hello. The children don't bite often!

If I could figure out how to insert a picture from my PC I would!

Paul.

Thanks Paul. We'll be drifting around between Calcutt, leamington and Statford for much of the summer. Wave us down if you see us!

Incidentally, has it taken only paint to stop your windows leaking? So far we've used sealant round the inner and outer edges, plus Creeping Crack Cure along the inside edges. This has improved it 400% but when the rain's heavy some still leak. I was wondering whether to also replace all the seals but if it only takes a lick of paint, that'd be great!

Count me in - ours is a 2004 vintage vessel. Reeves hull and apart from getting rid of the tassels on the curtains and being painted blue in original condition.

Got to say it is an excellent boat.

How about a working boat once owned by a hire company (Lucy) or an ex-community trust holiday boat (Usk).

The lifeboat was also hired out to Divers and I've got the remains of an ex boating lake clinker rowboat.

Oh and a canoe that once belonged to a Rugby Scouts troupe (sort of hired).

How about a working boat once owned by a hire company (Lucy) or an ex-community trust holiday boat (Usk).

The lifeboat was also hired out to Divers and I've got the remains of an ex boating lake clinker rowboat.

Oh and a canoe that once belonged to a Rugby Scouts troupe (sort of hired).

Carl, don't know whether your stirring or not but I think we know what we mean by ex-hire so:

Lucy defintley qualifies

Usk: possibly, jury is out. Would we let in say, new horizons based in Marple if she was sold to a private owner?

Lifeboat: that's interesting and will advise my brother, it's just possible he's hired her in the past. If he has or knows anyone who has I'll put you in touch. But I think we had in mind self steer inland holiday boats

I'm not sure either remains or boating lake rowing boats qualify (even though I'll concede a boating lake boat is both self crewed and inland)

I know it might sound cliquey but the idea is hardy unique. Alvis owners club don't accept morgan three wheelers for example.

Carl, don't know whether your stirring or not but I think we know what we mean by ex-hire so:

I know it might sound cliquey but the idea is hardy unique. Alvis owners club don't accept morgan three wheelers for example.

Not stirring, just teasing.

I would argue that Lucy doesn't qualify, though. Because, though owned by a hire company (Blue Line), she was only ever used for carrying freight, by Blue Line, and never hired out, for carrying or holidaying.

The lifeboat was a dive boat on the Tyne, btw.

Edited to say: And, in the immortal words of Groucho Marx "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

Edited by carlt

here's proof I did work.

Image015.jpg

Moored under a road bridge for a bit of shelter? Nifty! What paint did you use on them there window frames?

And it looks like you've painted over the screws. I'd like to do that to ours but would that render them difficult to take out should the window be replacecd one day? :lol:

I would argue that Lucy doesn't qualify, though. Because, though owned by a hire company (Blue Line), she was only ever used for carrying freight, by Blue Line, and never hired out, for carrying or holidaying.

Good, now that we have a working boat in the same thread as hire boats, I can bring out one of my favourite musings.

I wonder how much money our boat brought in for its owners throughout its life on hire? Would that be more or less than Lucy did?

Richard

Musing 2. As our ex-hire working boat is still in its original company livery, can I go to historic festivals?

Good, now that we have a working boat in the same thread as hire boats, I can bring out one of my favourite musings.

I wonder how much money our boat brought in for its owners throughout its life on hire? Would that be more or less than Lucy did?

Richard

Musing 2. As our ex-hire working boat is still in its original company livery, can I go to historic festivals?

I refuse to answer musing no.1 on the grounds that BSP will get angry (though, as Lucy only worked for the last 18, difficult, years of regular carrying, I wouldn't be surprised if she made no profit, for any of her owners).

Musing 2. Of course you can! Hire boats regularly join the Historic Boat Parade, at the Braunston show!

Now this is the problem with turning a Black Prince thread into an :lol: generic ex-hire boat thread (perhaps I need to edit the subtitle :lol: ). Nobody is talking about Black Princes or noticing the bloomin' questions about Black Princes. :lol:

I'm starting another... :lol:

Perhaps, BSP, you could summarise the questions into a single list?

and I have one...

How the heck do owners of ex-BP (or one other firm, Viking?) replace those impressive but non-starndard bow fenders?

I refuse to answer musing no.1 on the grounds that BSP will get angry (though, as Lucy only worked for the last 18, difficult, years of regular carrying, I wouldn't be surprised if she made no profit, for any of her owners).

Musing 2. Of course you can! Hire boats regularly join the Historic Boat Parade, at the Braunston show!

It only seems fair as I own a genuine late 20th century revenue owning boat in its original livery and configuration. Bit different to all those shortened metal topped houseboats.

Richard

Go on, have a go at Musing 1

The thing is, if you create an ex hire boat website then its so diverse its basically just a boating website or club, because there are so many different styles, engines, builders etc to me that's just a waste of time, there's not really a connecting link, the fact they are ex hire from 100's of companies is surely a bit of an unimportant connection?!

I know drifting of threads happens, but I'm with Blue StringPudding..... I keep checking here hoping more Black Prince owners/info might have been added....

Dan

There are not many hire boats I have seen with large black bananas for front fenders, so that has got to be a starting point.

Mine is a huge rubber one, where as I noticed BSP's was a metal one. Isn't that interesting?

Wanna have a swapsies club so we can all swap fenders ones in a whle. Or have a black prince wave like dolly mobile 2CV owners do when they see another dolly mobile. We could tke this to a whole new cheesy level!!! :lol:

There are not many hire boats I have seen with large black bananas for front fenders, so that has got to be a starting point.

Mine is a huge rubber one, where as I noticed BSP's was a metal one. Isn't that interesting?

Wanna have a swapsies club so we can all swap fenders ones in a whle. Or have a black prince wave like dolly mobile 2CV owners do when they see another dolly mobile. We could tke this to a whole new cheesy level!!! :lol:

True - we don't have the rubber nana for a fender - we have a normal rope fender, hanging off because it's chains broke (but it still fends - it just fends at an angle!) and the metal bit you normally get on a BP bow.

NarrowboatMostGame.jpg

This was her at Sawley when we bought her - check out the snout.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

True - we don't have the rubber nana for a fender - we have a normal rope fender, hanging off because it's chains broke (but it still fends - it just fends at an angle!) and the metal bit you normally get on a BP bow.

Yeah sorry that is what I meant, the big bow thing, it is a big rubber malarky compared to the smaller neater metal one you have.

It really is a show stopper!