The Black Prince Owners Club...

Featured Posts

Yeah sorry that is what I meant, the big bow thing, it is a big rubber malarky compared to the smaller neater metal one you have.

It really is a show stopper!

I rather like those big ole tyres on the front of some BP boats! Makes em look like dodgem cars. For a reason, I suspect!

• 9 years later...
9 minutes ago, TheAlfieClarke said:

Hi All, is this thread still active? I have a boat believed to be a black prince boat and have some questions

Well, it is now :)

Is a 10 year old thread revival a record?

20 minutes ago, TheAlfieClarke said:

Hi All, is this thread still active? I have a boat believed to be a black prince boat and have some questions

Interesting read though. Go ahead and ask your questions. Please avoid all references to ecofans, Smartgauges and pump out toilets.

eta...only 2 of the above work.

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Pedant alert!!!

Wots up now?

Edited by Dr Bob

The Black Prince Owners website seems to have gone offline about 2015 but you can still see an archived copy of it on the "wayback machine" here: https://web.archive.org/web/20140602064533/http://blackprinceowners.org.uk/latestupdates.html

Not all the links work - e.g to individual boat records and the stories about conversions - but there's a fair bit of the original info including registration numbers and original names, details of the different designs and so on.

Our boat is one of the 'experimental' (!) Duchess models from 2000 - when the characteristic roundy-rectangle windows first appeared.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Wots up now?

The pedantry predicted was that the thread is not ten years dead, but only nine years and ten months. 

But as such pedantry would interrupt the flow of the thread, I won’t mention it. 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The pedantry predicted was that the thread is not ten years dead, but only nine years and ten months

Its not dead, just waiting a kiss from Othello. 

Edited by rusty69

So in the paperwork I have from the previous owner there is a handwritten note saying 61791 'Lightning Fighter' Seen Middlewich Branch, photo courtesy A Jackson, Black Prince Owners Club. Looks a bit like Alfie. (The Boat's current name)

The reg number is 61791 and the boat is a 1970s Harborough Marine with a GRP top.

The boat used to be called Kathy D, but I don't know if this was her original name or not.

I was wondering is there somewhere I can take the registration number and find out more?

Thanks Guys,

Jamie

1 hour ago, TheAlfieClarke said:

Thanks. I’ve seen that. I was more interested to know more about its early life. What it was called, what it might have looked like, if indeed it is a black prince boat or not. Thanks though 

Yes  it was a BP boat.  If you follow the link I posted to the BP owners club archive and dig around (you have to cut and paste link addresses) you'll see 61791 Lightning listed - BP were naming them after types of plane and other things military at the time, so there is also a Harrier, Meteor, Tornado and so  in the 'Fighter' class of boat.  Described on the site as "Fighter Class: 50ft 6 berth. Two separate bunk cabins aft with separate wc & shower ahead, followed by galley and settee/double forward. A popular class with around nine being built by Black Prince and more inherited from other fleets."   So not clear if it was a BP build or 'inherited'.  Sadly the pics that accompanied the description seem to have disappeared from t'internet.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Just found you . I need help - in more ways than one. Total novice forced into liveaboard life.

I have bought a black prince fitted out boat (2004) will look her up on the time machine when I find her number. she is now called Gigi. Sorry I know you said no poo tank questions,but I need confirmation, do these boats have 2 waste tanks? If so where is the second one? Tank one under the bed. 

Hi -

I am assuming that we are talking one toilet? From what you say, sounds like this is a 57' with the convertible single/double beds at the stern, then bathroom then double bed.

In which case, there is ONE tank under the double, but it is spilt in two. The central section fills up first, thus not affecting the list of the boat, then it will start overflowing into the side tank, at which point the boat starts to lean over!

There are two emptying points, but it is one big tank. Timed pump out tend not to allow long enough to empty the whole thing out. Some places will try and charge you for two tanks.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, TimC said:

Hi -

I am assuming that we are talking one toilet? From what you say, sounds like this is a 57' with the convertible single/double beds at the stern, then bathroom then double bed.

In which case, there is ONE tank under the double, but it is spilt in two. The central section fills up first, thus not affecting the list of the boat, then it will start overflowing into the side tank, at which point the boat starts to lean over!

There are two emptying points, but it is one big tank. Timed pump out tend not to allow long enough to empty the whole thing out. Some places will try and charge you for two tanks.

Does this mean you need to pump out from both sides to empty? 

Yes. Basically, what you have is a single tank divided vertically up the middle. The division does not go right up to the top. The part of the tank on the centre line tank fills up first, then once the contents reaches the top of the division (effectively a baffle plate) it can then start filling up the side part.

When you pump out, you are pumping out from the bottom. If you only use one of the pump-out sockets, you will only empty the part that that is connected to.

Hope this makes sense.